The Pagerank (named after Larry Page or just the term "page") is a grade between 1 and 10 that, stated simply, indicates how well you website is integrated in the www and how important it is.
The precise algorithm that is used to calculate this number is a secret of Google and Stanford University. We do know that this algorithm contains the number of references to and from a site as the most important variable. The Pagerank is drawn up in simple language and within the context of the University of Twente on the basis of the following points:
- the number sites that refers to pages, websites, portals and applications within utwente.nl;
- the number of references in the pages, websites and portals of Utwente.nl to other pages, sites and portals that score well in the Pagerank;
- the number of references from and to utwente.nl and the underlying pages in social networks such as LinkedIn (profiles, members, companies, groups), Facebook (employees, groups, pages, causes), etc.
- the number of searches that is formulated on the basis of specific terms combined with the domain of the University of Twente;
- the degree to which content of Utwente.nl contains terms that are frequently searched internationally.
What can we do to keep and maintain our Pagerank at the highest possible level?
Google applies a strict policy concerning the Pagerank. If Google establishes that the Pagerank is intentionally influenced (for example by means of so-called link farms), it may disqualify a domain such Utwente.nl from participation in the Pagerank. The rationale is that the referring links of any kind must have been made voluntarily on the basis of the relevance of the content.
That means that all we can do as University of Twente is create the conditions for supporting an optimal Pagerank. We therefore recommend:
- Ensure that your publication the highest possible number of words on the basis of which you wish to be found by search engines;
- Publish content as much as possible at a logical web address, which preferably also contains the right search terms.
For example: www.utwente.nl/instituut/onderzoek/onderwerp/zoekterm
- Make sure the content contains the least possible number of obstacles in the content such as flash objects, java applets and other obstructions that make it difficult to index the content;
- Write the content as much as possible in the form of a question with and explanation.
- Check whether you can provide the content you publish with as many relevant links as possible to reference material, evidence, supporting your publication;
- Investigate online whether there are relevant possibilities on fora, blogs, sites and portals to refer to your publication;
- Bring you publication to the attention of your social networks where possible and relevant.
What is our current Pagerank?
The average Pagerank of Utwente.nl was approximately 8 in recent years. Google changes the way of measuring sometimes and this may lead (temporarily) to a different pagerank.
If you would like to determine for yourself what Pagerank your site has within Utwente, visit for example www.checkpagerank.net . This site not only shows our Google Pagerank, but also the index figures of Yahoo and AII for example.