PROFESSOR IN BIOMATERIALS AND POLYMER CHEMISTRY
Tel: +31 53 4892976/ 2968
Room: Zuidhorst 252
BIOGRAPHICAL DATA PROFESSOR DR J. FEIJEN
Name: Jan Feijen
Title: Professor of Polymer Chemistry and Biomaterials, University of Twente,
University of Twente
Faculty of Science and Technology – Chemical Technology
Department of Polymer Chemistry and Biomaterials
NL-7500 AE Enschede
Tel.: +31 53 489 2976
Fax: +31 53 489 2155
Birth Date: January 12, 1944
Marital Status: Married ‑ three children
- M.S. Organic Chemistry, University of Groningen, Groningen, Netherlands, 1967
- Ph.D. Organic Chemistry, University of Groningen, Groningen, Netherlands, 1970
- 1995-2008, Scientific director of the Institute for Biomedical Engineering, BMTI, University of Twente, Enschede, Netherlands.
- 1989 ‑2003, Affiliate Professor in Bioengineering, University of Washington, Seattle, US
- 1979 ‑ present, Professor of Polymer Chemistry and Biomaterials, Twente University of Technology, Enschede, The Netherlands.
- 1979-1985, Adjunct Professor of Pharmaceutics, University of Utah, Salt lake City, US.
- July ‑ August 1978, Visiting Associate Professor Dept. of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, College of Pharmacy, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, US.
- 1 Oct. 1978 ‑ 1979, Adjunct Associate Professor Dept. of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, College of Pharmacy, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, US.
- 1973 ‑ 1978, Associate Professor of Materials Science and Engineering, Twente University of Technology, Enschede, Netherlands.
- Juni 1972 ‑ September 1977, Visiting Associate Professor, Dept. of Applied Pharmaceutical Science, College of Pharmacy, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, US.
- June 1973 ‑ September 1973, Visiting Assistant Professor, Division of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Utah, Salt lake City, US.
- 1970 ‑ 1972, Assistant Professor, Materials Science and Engineering, Twente University of Technology, Enschede, Netherlands.
Major Research Interests
- Biomedical Polymers
- Biointerfacial Phenomena
- Artificial Organ
- Drug Delivery Systems
- Tissue engineering
- Ring-opening polymerization
- Engineering polymers
- 1972 – present: Biomaterials, Biodegradable Polymers, Biointerfacial Phenomena, Polymeric Drug Delivery Systems, Membranes, Transport Phenomena, Artificial Organs (Hemoperfusion, Oxygenation, Heart Assist Devices), Tissue engineering, ring-opening polymerization, engineering polymers
- 1970 – 1972: Synthetic poly(a‑amino acids), Synthesis, Characterization in solution, Conformational Studies
- 1967 – 1970: Synthetic Organic Chemistry, Isoannelated heteroaromatic systems
Member of societies
- European Society for Artificial Organs
- Royal Dutch Chemical Society
- Controlled Release Society
- European Society for Biomaterials
- International Society for Artificial Organs
- American Chemical Society
- Dutch Biomaterials Society (NVB)
Other Professional Activities
- 1995- 2008, Graduate School ‘Integrated BioMedical Engineering for restoration of human function’, University of Twente, scientific director
- 1990- 2008, First/Second/Third/Fourth/Fifth/Sixth/ Seventh/Eight/Nineth, European Symposium on Controlled Drug Delivery Systems, The Netherlands, chairman and organiser
- Study section Biomaterials, NWO, former chairman and member
- Study section Macromolecules, NWO-CW (Chemical Sciences), former chairman and member
- Controlled Release Society, member, former governor
- European Society for Biomaterials, member, former governor
- International Society for Artificial Internal Organs, former governor
- Foundation of Polymer Technology (PTN), member of the council
- Graduate School Polymers, PTN, member board of governors
- Polymer Center Twente (PCT), University of Twente, chairman
- Concerted Action on Heart and Replacement Technologie, Medical Health Research Programme of the European Communities, chairman for five years
- Dutch Polymer Institute (DPI), member management team
- European Degradable Polymer Society, co-founder
- 2005- present, Dutch Program for Tissue Engineering (DPTE), chairman
- Journal of Controlled Release, co-founding editor
- International Journal of Artificial Organs, Section Biomaterials, European editor
- Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition
- Materials in Medicine
- Macromolecular Bioscience
- The International Journal of Artificial Organs
- Journal of Biomedical Materials Research
- Journal of Material Science
- Fellow of the American Society for Biomaterials
- Fellow of AIMBE
- Fellow of the Dutch Forum for Technology and Science
- Best Paper Award Journal of Controlled Release, Controlled Release Society, 1992.
- Clemson Award, American Society for Biomaterials, 1994.
- Founders Award, Controlled Release Society, 1998.
- George Winter Award, ESB, 2002.
- Royal decoration ‘Ridder in de Orde van de Nederlandse Leeuw’, April 28, 2003.
- The Award for Distinguished Service in Advancement of Biomaterials Science, Japanese Society for Biomaterials, 2008