EMI Twente bridges the gap between academic research and industry; two worlds we know and understand well.
Do you want to know what we do at EMI Twente? Take a look behind the scenes.
The European Membrane Institute Twente (EMI Twente) performs confidential contract research directly with industry in the field of membrane science and technology. It aims to bridge academic research with industrial needs. The EMI Twente is part of the Membrane Science and Technology research cluster, which is a cluster of seven research groups active in all relevant membrane areas. The EMI Twente is active in almost any major relevant membrane field and has a diverse set of expertises, including development of polymeric, inorganic and hybrid membranes, transport phenomena, and process design.
The EMI Twente makes use of the knowledge and infrastructure of the Faculty of Science and Technology of the University of Twente and the MST cluster in particular. Most EMI projects are practical in nature and are treated confidentially. IPR generated during project always goes to the client.
Next to the typical R&D projects the EMI offers also other services such as characterization of membrane samples, piloting studies, consultancy, workshops and desktop studies.
Furthermore, EMI Twente sells membrane related equipment such as casting knives, permeation test cells, stirred cells, cloud point meters, hollow fiber spin lines etc.
- Devise innovations based on fundamental academic know-how
- Be a hotbed for future membrane innovations
- Utilize innovation potential for separation, purification and recovery challenges
- Facilitate level of adoption by increasing theknowledge level in industry
- To be recognized as a leading independent R&D-organization for industry
Companies involved in the development of innovative membrane technology face many challenges. Is there a demand for the product? What are the market’s needs and expectations? How does performance compare to that of existing membranes? Can we improve performance using the resources at our disposal? How do we arrive at a proof-of-principle? What has to be done before we can take our innovation to market?
The European Membrane Institute (EMI) Twente helps companies answer such questions and bring the practical implementation of an idea multiple steps closer.
- Unique fundamental knowledge for breakthrough innovations
- Access to academic know-how, expertise and facilities through an independent R&D organization
- Proven valorization of academic results: demonstrated membrane products, processes and technology
- Multi-disciplinary competencies with state of the art facilities in all relevant fields of membrane science and technology
- Ownership IP for industrial partner (contract research)