EER BSc art. 4.7
2) Test results are only valid in the academic year in which they were obtained. The examination board can extend this period in individual cases at the request of the student.
EER BSc art. 4.1
10) If a student fails to complete a module during the current academic year by passing the relevant exam, then the student may participate in the module once again in the following academic year (as long as the student is enrolled). In some cases, it is possible to carry over test results for specific modules to the next academic year. The programme-specific part of these Regulations specifies the tests to which this provision applies, along with any applicable conditions. If modules are shared by multiple degree programmes, than the specific exceptions are to be identical for all programmes.
EER BSc art. 8.7
The Examination Board or the Programme Board may allow derogation from the provisions of these Regulations in the event of demonstrably compelling unreasonableness or unfairness.
EER MSc art. 4.5
2) Practical exercises can be completed at least once per year.
a) Units of study and their exams can be offered more than once per academic year. In these cases students may participate in the exams at a maximum of two occasions.
b) There is in any case at least one opportunity to sit an exam at the end of the period in which the applicable unit of study had been taught.
4) In certain individual cases the Examination Board can deviate from the number of times and the manner in which exams can be taken.
The examination board distinguishes two situations when it comes to requests for an extra exam/test opportunity:
- When you fail a (part of) a unit of study because of personal circumstances you can submit a request to the examination board for an extra exam/test opportunity. However, if the examination board acknowledges these personal circumstances, in most cases the board will not grant an extra opportunity in addition to the (usually 2) regular opportunities in that academic year. Instead, you will have to use the regular test opportunity/-ies in the next academic year (unless you are in the final stage of the programme, see situation 2. for the conditions). If the unit of study in question consists of more than one test, the examination board will extend the validity of obtained positive test results of that unit of study, so that you don't have to redo the entire module or course.
In some programmes positive test results of specific modules are carried over to the next academic year (see EER art. 4.1 par. 10). This is mentioned in the programme specific appendix in a paragraph on the validity of results. For those modules you don't need permission of the examination board for an extra exam opportunity and/or extension of validity.
- When you have finished your studies except for one test/exam, and waiting for the first regular exam opportunity for that unit of study will cause serious and unreasonable delay in graduating, you can submit a request to the examination board for an extra exam or test opportunity. You have to meet a number of conditions:
a) you must have checked if you perhaps meet fail-pass rules for the module or course;
b) the next regular (re-)test opportunity will not be within six months after obtaining your last exam but one (the thesis is also considered an exam);
c) you sat the exam or test at least (if possible) two times and attained a score of at least 4.0, or, in TEM, you attained all the other parts of the module and scored at least a 4.0;
d) if you have specific personal circumstances that caused you not to pass the test until now your study advisor needs to know about these circumstances and be able to confirm this to the examination board.
In these cases the examination board will assess the request and decide whether the student is granted an individual extra exam/test opportunity within a specific period.
PLEASE NOTE: This request category is mainly relevant for students who have nearly completed their study program. If that is not your situation, you should probably go to "extend validity of results". Check carefully which part of the website is applicable to your situation. Sending in a request in the wrong category may cause delay in the handling of your request.
The following should be included in your request:
- If you have circumstances that you believe justify an extra exam/test opportunity, you must mention these circumstances. You must have informed your study advisor about these circumstances beforehand. In case it concerns personal circumstances that you don’t wish to share in detail, like illness or family reasons, a statement from your study advisor will be enough.
- A detailed study progress overview
- The statement from your study advisor in case of personal circumstances (only for examination board MS)
- A statement from your thesis supervisor about the expected date for the presentation of your thesis (in case you are in situation 2.)
- If you mention fail-pass rules from a specific module or transitional arrangements please upload them with your request
Check the meeting schedule of the examination boards for the deadline for submitting your request.