Smart Cities is a rapidly growing concept in both research and policy practice. It is viewed as a solution for cities to better cope with key societal challenges like energy transition, mobility and social innovation through extensive and effective use of big data and IT.
This, in turn, calls for new modes of – smart – governance, with the active involvement of a wide diversity of public, private and citizens’ organizations. In this summer course, Smart Cities is being studied through a variety of perspectives: the perspective of research, economy, government, ethics, marketing, communication, design and philosophy.
The central theme in this year’s Smart Cities course is Smart City Life. The big question is: How do citizens perceive their life in the "smart city"? In the University of Twente high tech meets human touch and there we like to put the focus on the course.
In collaboration with project partners Kennispunt Twente, the municipality of Hengelo and Enschede, we offer this summer course as a fully challenge-based learning module. What does that mean? Challenge Based Learning is collaborative and hands-on, asking students to work with peers, teachers, and experts in their communities and around the world to address, understand and find solutions for the challenge.
- A multiple entry point strategy and varied and multiple possible solutions
- A focus on universal challenges with local solutions
- An authentic connection with multiple disciplines
- An opportunity to develop 21st-century skills
- The purposeful use of Web 2.0 tools for organizing, collaborating, and publishing
- The opportunity for students to do something rather than just learn about something
- the documentation of the learning experience from challenge to solution
- 24/7 access to up-to-date technology tools and resources so students can do their work
The course is aiming at students interested in innovations that make life more effective, pleasant and efficient. Integrating technological, social and organizational science to achieve intelligent and smart solutions for challenges in a rapidly changing world. In the course you will:
- Learn all about many aspects of Smart Cities, ranging from governing a smart city to maintaining the infrastructure in a smart city
- Apply your knowledge from both technical and governance aspects to smart city development in group exercises
- Work in multidisciplinary teams
- Learn how you can contribute to smart city developments in your own environment
Stay tuned for more upcoming information regarding the 2023 course!