want to be able to make an impact or improve your skills in doing so?
Do you want to leave your mark? Do you want to learn how to share knowledge and inspire people? Throughout this course you will discover and develop your ability to provide workshops that matter, one of the key methods used to share knowledge. We will help you learn how you can become a change agent and leader of innovation and impact. Within an interactive educational setting and through workshops, you will develop skills for your future and master the art of hosting such a workshops with peers at your own university.
The World Economic Forum has published 10 essential skills that people need to develop in 2020 in order to thrive and be able to cope with the changes happening around us every day. Problems are becoming more and more complex as technology is rapidly evolving, which requires a different approach in thinking, identifying, designing and implementing solutions to these complex problems. Not only learning these skills is important, but being able to effectively teach these skills to other people and spread the message might be even more crucial. This course offers you a series of sessions that address not only skills required to give inspiring workshops, it will also teach you the ins and outs of design thinking that will allow for a step-by-step process of approaching complex projects and problems.
This course is co-organized by the University Innovation Fellows (UIF) of Twente, which is a group of students who have followed the program on innovation and entrepreneurship organized by Stanford University. This means that the course is designed by students for students under the supervision of Mascha van der Voort, professor Human Centered Design.
Our course is called Leaders of Innovation and Impact. This is why we tailor our program to shaping leaders of innovation processes that are able to deal with complex and ill-defined problems by co-creating solutions. To achieve this goal, the course includes knowledge and education based on design thinking, more practical skill development such as hosting events/workshops and building a mindset for innovation and impact. You will get expert knowledge on these processes, after which you will be challenged to practically apply your knowledge during CuriousU as a means of a final assessment/assignment. This provides you with the unique opportunity to apply your learning and inspire others.
During this course you will experience different, active, learning methods:
- Design thinking, (Sience2Design4Society)
- Mood boosters, (Stokes)
- Company visits
- Practical experiences
These methods will help you to guide you through the course. At the end of the course you are able to:
- Lead innovation processes to create business value
- Use the design thinking methodology to design your own workshop
- Communicate effectively, pitch your ideas
- Work in multidisciplinary teams
- Motivate and inspire others
Are you doubting whether this course suits you? Check out the following requirements::
- English language competences and active speaking and comprehensive skills (min. B1 CEFR)
- Have a basic understanding of Design Thinking
- Being comfortable with talking in front of a crowd (preferably)
- Being comfortable with public interactions (preferably)
- You want to have fun and do something meaningful this summer!
If you meet all the requirements mentioned above, you are free to apply using the application process.
- Target group: advanced bachelor students
- Course leader: Mascha van der Voort
- Credits: 2 ECTS for successfully completing the summer school