Health technologies are intended to improve the quality of healthcare delivered through earlier diagnosis, less invasive treatment options, reduction in hospital stays, and decreasing rehabilitation duration. New medical technologies keep emerging, while healthcare costs continue to rise. Even if a new health technology may seem to be promising, only a limited number of them will, in the end, be used in clinical practice. To make informed decisions on the development of new technologies in healthcare, early health technology assessments are performed to evaluate the potential cost-effectiveness of such new devices or drugs. In this course, we will evaluate several newly developed technologies within departments at the University of Twente.
You will learn several techniques that can be used in early health technology assessments. These techniques include Multi-Criteria Decision Analysis (MCDA), Decision Modelling (using Markov models and Decision Trees) and Budget Impact Analysis. During the summer school, you will work on a value dossier and develop your own health economic model for a potential new application of a technology of your choice. At the end of the week, you will be able to present whether you think it is feasible to use these technologies for the new potential application. These are problems that need to be dealt with in healthcare. So come to CuriousU and learn how to Evaluate Future Health Technologies!
- Learn all about new health technologies. Who developed them, how can they be helpful, and how can they be used?
- Learn about how to evaluate these techniques concerning costs and consequences for the health care system.
- Apply your knowledge about the technologies and evaluation techniques to assess the effects and or impacts.
- Work in multidisciplinary teams.
- Methods: Lectures, interactive workshops, tours and demonstrations
- Course level: BSc
- Target group: Bachelor (and master) students wanting to learn more about health technology assessment
- Credits: 2 ECTS for successfully completing the summer school