Residence permit

Do I need an entry visa and/or residence permit?

EU/EEA, Switzerland

  • Entry visa: no
  • Residence permit: no

Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea or USA

  • Entry visa: no
  • Residence permit:yes, for stays of 90 days or more

All others

  • Entry visa:yes
  • Residence permit:yes, for stays of 90 days or more


By Dutch law students cannot apply for a visa themselves. All applications and extensions for (entry) visas, residence permits and Change of Purposes are coordinated by the University of Twente.

If you require an entry visa or residence permit you will be contacted by email outlining all necessary procedures. Provided you supply all necessary documents in time, the entire application procedure will take about 2 months. You are advised to keep a file with all official documents and letters you receive during your stay in the Netherlands.

How To obtain Your Residence Permit

  • On campus students (CTW, EWI, GW, MB and TNW faculty) requiring a residence permit will be guided through all formalities by the University of Twente before arrival.
  • Off campus students (ITC faculty) requiring a residence permit must submit their passport during ITC registration. ITC Student Affairs will monitor the processing of residence permit applications with IND and contact you with steps to take.
  • All visa procedures for international PhD students (non-ITC) are arranged by the Personnel/HR department.

Extending Your Residence Permit

  • To extend your residence permit, please contact your faculty contact person who will inform the Student Administration Office. You will receive an email with steps to take.    
  • The extension of residence permits of ITC students will be handled and monitored by ITC Student Affairs.
  • The fee for the extension of your residence permit is €161,-

Change of address?

It is a prerequisite to keep your address up to date in order for you to maintain your residence permit, as the Dutch Immigration Office (IND) uses the Municipal Personal Records Database to check your details of residence. Hence, it is of utmost importance for you to notify the Municipality of your change of address as soon as possible. Please do this by sending an email to Make sure you mention your full name, old address and new address.

Residence Permit & Study Progress

The Dutch government passed a migration law: the Modern Migration Policy Act (MoMi). This law allows faster and easier immigration procedures for highly-skilled students. It requires all non-EU/EEA students with a residence permit for study purposes at the University of Twente (UT) to achieve satisfactory academic progress. This means that you must obtain at least 50% of the EC that you can acquire during an academic year in order to keep your residence permit for the next academic year. More information can be found on the Student Counselling Service website.

Residence Permit When Changing Study Programme

Switching study programmes within the University of Twente after arrival will not have consequences for your IND residence permit. However, please inform Student Services about your change of study programme. Please consider the MoMi law when thinking about switching programmes: it is only possible if you have achieved satisfactory academic progress in your current program.

What to do if you lost your residence permit

If your residence permit is stolen or lost, please report this to the local police as soon as possible. Visit the police station to have your statement recorded, then visit Student Services to arrange a replacement document. Bring the following documents: (1) copy of police statement of theft, (2) copy of passport, (3) official proof of registration into Municipal Records Database (‘uittreksel bevolkingsregister’), and (4) filled in and signed application for Replacement.