Do I need a visa or residence permit to study at the University of Twente?

That depends on your nationality.

- EU/EEA, Switzerland: No entry visa required, no residence permit required.
- Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea or USA: No entry visa required, a residence permit required for stays of 90 days or more.
- All others: An entry visa required and a residence permit required for stays of 90 days or more.

How can I arrange for my visa? / Can I arrange for the visa myself?

The University of Twente helps students who have been admitted (or provisionally admitted) to a degree programme to apply for visa. Under Dutch law, students cannot apply for a visa individually. As soon as you are admitted (or provisionally admitted) to a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Exchange programme requiring a visa or residence permit and you accepted the Offer of Admission, you will be contacted by us automatically and will receive assistance with all visa procedures.

How can I apply for my residence permit?

You do not need to apply for your residence permit separately. The University of Twente will apply for both your residence permit and/or your visa at the same time. You will receive your residence permit shortly after your arrival in the Netherlands.

Do you arrange visa for family members?

No, the University of Twente does not process visa applications for family members of students. You can arrange the visa at the Dutch embassy in your home country.

What is the IND?

The IND is the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service. It is run by the Ministry of Security and Justice and is the official national organization that handles all visa and residence permit applications and extensions thereof in the Netherlands. The University of Twente will contact the IND on your behalf to arrange for your visa application to be processed. Under Dutch law, students are not allowed to apply for a visa individually.

When will you start my entry visa application?

After you have accepted your Offer of Admission, you will be informed via email about the next step to take to start the visa application. Please note we cannot start visa procedures any sooner than five months before the start of your study programme. The actual visa application will be done two months prior to your arrival date in order for the entry visa to stay valid until that date.

How does the visa / residence permit application procedure work?

You will be guided through the application procedure step by step via email. Check our website for more detailed information about the different steps involved. Upon completing all the required steps we will apply for your visa with the IND (Dutch Immigration Service).  After the IND has processed the application, we will inform you about the decision by email. We cannot influence the IND procedures in any way.

If your application is approved, you will be asked to contact the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands (Passport, Visas & Consular Affairs) in your country of origin. The embassy will let you know where to pick up your approved visa. Many embassies are not able to place the visa in your passport themselves and need to send your passport to another office. This procedure may take up to two weeks, which means you will be without your passport during that time.

How long does it take to process my visa application?

The whole process takes about two months.

I do not have my visa yet. Can I already book my flight to the Netherlands?

We advise you not to book your plane ticket until you have an entry visa. You may choose to make a refundable reservation when you book your flight. We strongly advise you to contact the airline to find out whether your plane ticket can be refunded in the event that your visa application is delayed.

What amount of money do I need to take into account when I apply for a visa / residence permit?

You need to pay your tuition fee and visa application fee up front, and send financial proof to guarantee that you are able to pay the living costs.

Check our website for more detailed information about the amount.

Why do I have to prove financial means?

Visa students are (by Dutch law) required to provide proof of sufficient financial means for living in the Netherlands. It is to make sure that you have enough money to stay in the Netherlands during your study. To prove your financial means, the University of Twente will ask you for a scholarship award letter and/or bank statement.

Check our website for more detailed information about the amount.

When will I receive my Dutch bank account number?

You will receive help with the opening of a Dutch bank account after you arrive in the Netherlands. The procedure will be explained after the visa application has been approved. 

How many hours am I allowed to work?

When you have a residence permit for study, you will be allowed to work a maximum of 16 hours per week, or fulltime during June, July and August. Please note that when you work in the Netherlands it is mandatory to take out a basic health care insurance. If you receive a scholarship, please check with your scholarship provider if you are allowed to work during your study.

Which insurance do I need?

It depends on your nationality and your situation. Check our website for more detailed information.