This manual describes how you can use your staff e-mail by means of the Outlook Web App (OWA). This manual explains the most important functions of Web App 2013. The benefit of the Outlook Web App is that you can access your staff e-mail on any and all computers with an internet connection and a web browser.
Before you begin
- This manual is not applicable for students.
- The manual is written for Internet Explorer. It doesn't matter which version of Windows you are using.
- This manual uses a consistent style of writing:
- references to text and buttons on screens are printed in italics,
- information that you have to enter yourself is printed in bold.
You need the following:
- A working internet connection
- An ICT account. This is your username with accompanying password.
Logging into webmail
- Surf to https://xs.utwente.nl (without www.).
- The username is your (UT) e-mail address.
- At password, enter the password.
- Click on sign in.
Every time you log in to Webmail you'll land in the Inbox folder.
- Click on an e-mail in the middle screen (green frame) in order to have it open in the right screen (orange frame).
- When you double-click on an e-mail in the middle screen, the e-mail will be opened in a new window.
Open an attachment
If an attachment is added to an e-mail, you can see this by the paper clip (see the red circle) next to an e-mail subject title in the middle screen.
- Open the e-mail by clicking once (the e-mail opens in the right screen) or by double-clicking (the e-mail opens in a new window).
- Under attachment(s), click on the box of the attachment.
A new window opens with the screen File download.
- Click on Open or Save as you prefer.
The window is closed.
- If you have clicked on Save, you have to select the location on your computer where the file will be saved.
- Click on Save.
Navigating through web app
Once the Inbox has been opened, you can see the following navigational tools:
An explanation of several tools can be found below.
- By clicking on new mail (upper left) a new window appears for you to draft a new e-mail in.
- Messages can be moved to the desired folder by dragging them from the middle screen to the folder in the left screen.
- At the upper right of an opened message in the right screen are the e-mail options, for instance to reply to, forward, remove, categorize, mark as spam or print that message.
Explanation of the upper navigation bar:
- The first four options refer to various main divisions of Outlook (Mail, Calendar, People and Tasks).
- By clicking on your own name, Test, user01 in this example, you can log out.
- By clicking on the gear you can change the general settings for Outlook Web App and your e-mail account.
- If you don't understand something or want to know more about the Web App, click the question mark.
Web App is working similar to any other programme on your PC. This means, for instance, that if you click something in the screen with the right mouse button, an overview of options applicable to what you are clicking will appear. Below is an example of a right mouse click on an e-mail:
Drafting an e-mail
Make sure that you are working in the Mail tool.
- Click on New Mail.
The right screen changes into an editor window.
- At To:, enter the e-mail addresses of the person or people to whom you wish to send an e-mail (if you are sending it to more than one person, you have to separate the e-mail addresses with a ; as shown in the screenshot below). You can open the address book by clicking on To....
- If necessary, enter the e-mail address of a person or people who should also receive this e-mail but are not the main recipient at Cc:. The Bcc field can be used by clicking on the three dots (see the screenshot below).
Please note: the difference between Cc and Bcc is that all recipients can see the e-mail addresses listed under Cc. This also offers the opportunity to reply to all known recipients of the e-mail. All recipients cannot see the e-mail addresses listed under Bcc and those people can therefore not receive a reply from other recipients.
- To add an attachment, click on the paper clip insert and then on attachment.
- To send your e-mail to all recipients, click on Send.
- Concepts of e-mails are automatically saved in the Drafts folder.
Open a functional mailbox
- Click on your picture in the right top corner.
- Click open another mailbox...
- Type the name of the mailbox en click Open.
- Click with the left mouse button and then with the right mouse button on your name (above inbox).
- Select Add shared folder...
- Type the name of the mailbox and click Add.
- The functional mailbox is present in your personal mailbox.