Service Portal

International students and travel

This page contains information for international students and the impact that the coronavirus has on international travel. If you have any questions or suggestions for improvements, fill out the corona contact form or send an email to our central information point

Downloads & quicklinks

The Dutch national government has extended its recommendation to avoid travelling abroad until mid-March. For certain groups of travellers from non-EU countries, an entry ban has been in effect since March. The cabinet has decided to reduce the number of exceptions to this entry ban. Among other things, this means that business travellers, students, knowledge migrants and long-distance partners coming to the Netherlands for a brief stay are no longer allowed to enter the country. Students who are coming here for more than ninety days and have a so-called “authorisation for temporary stay” (mvv) are exempt from the entry ban.

If you wish to enter the Netherlands, you must be able to present a negative PCR corona test result at the border, along with a negative result for a quick test that was taken just before your departure to the Netherlands. The test must have been taken fewer than four hours before the time of boarding. In any case, you must self-quarantine for a period of ten days upon arrival in the Netherlands. On the fifth day after your arrival, you can get tested for the coronavirus - even if you have no symptoms. If the test result indicates that you do not have the coronavirus, you may end your quarantine. Detailed information about the new restrictions that apply and the countries that have been designated as high-risk countries can be found on the website of the Dutch national government. This list changes quickly, so be sure to check it often. There is a corona test location on campus. Note that this is not a drive-in location. You must park your car in the designated area and follow the instructions you are given. People who do not have a car can come to the test location by bike instead. You can self-quarantine in your own accommodation.

Students and staff who study and work at the UT and live in Germany may travel to and from the University under the "small border traffic arrangement.”

Frequently Asked Questions 

  • How can I travel from the airport to my accommodation to self-quarantine?

    The Student Union offers a pick-up service for prospective students. If you cannot use this service, you may take the train from Schiphol to Enschede. Be sure to avoid rush hour. Note that you must wear a face mask while travelling on public transport.

  • What can I do as an EU student to retain my Dutch study grant, even though I no longer meet the minimum requirement of 56 working hours per month?

    If you can prove that your situation has changed as a result of force majeure, you may be able to retain your Dutch study grant. You need a declaration from your employer stating that you are forced to work fewer hours or not at all as a result of the coronavirus. This declaration must clearly state the period it concerns. This option is also available to EU residents with a zero-hour contract.

  • My exchange programme has ended and I would like to return home, but I am not allowed to enter the country.

    If you have any specific questions, you can contact your faculty/programme. For general questions, contact

  • Will the MoMi scheme be modified in light of COVID-19?

    For more information about MoMi, visit the dedicated MoMi & COVID-19 page.

  • What should I keep in mind as an international student when returning to my home country?

    If you cannot travel as a result of the travel restrictions, contact the embassy of your country of origin to inform them of your desire to leave the Netherlands. Ask them if and how they can offer support. Inform your student adviser about the situation.

  • What should I do if I wish to leave or have left the country as a non-EU student (all BMS, EEMCS, ET or S&T programmes and BSc-ATLAS)?

    If you have left the country and terminated the rental contract for your accommodation, contact the visa office if you have not already done so. Visa office must inform the IND that your departure is temporary and not final. If you neglect to contact the visa office, your residence permit may be revoked.

  • What should I do if I wish to leave or have left the country as a non-EU student (ITC MSc student)?

    For students of the ITC faculty: If you have left the country and terminated the rental contract for your accommodation, contact the visa office if you have not already done so. ITC Student Affairs must inform the IND that your departure is temporary and not final. If you neglect to contact ITC Student Affairs, your residence permit may be revoked.

  • I have left the country. Can I come back, even though the borders have been closed? What if I am not a Dutch citizen?

    If you have a valid residence permit, you can return to the Netherlands. Read more here.
    It is important to check up-to-date travel information and medical restrictions, given that you may face restrictions in the country you are departing from, any transit countries you pass through and when entering the Netherlands.

  • My residence permit has been cancelled and I cannot leave due to the coronavirus; can I stay here longer?

    Consult the website of the IND for the most up-to-date answer to this question. Send a message to to inform them about your situation.

  • Study orientation: How can I learn more about a bachelor's or master's programme?

    Fortunately, there are many ways to find the bachelor's or master's programme that is right for you. We have gathered all these tips for you online. For example, you can schedule a Skype call with a student adviser.

  • I cannot take my English test (IELTS/TOEFL), which means I cannot acquire the documentation I need for my registration.

    As an alternative, you can take the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition test (online test). The UT will accept this test during the February 2021 enrolment period and it is available wherever the TOEFL iBT test is normally available, with the exception of the Chinese and Iranian mainland. Other online English language tests (i.e. IELTS Indicator test, Cambridge online test, etcetera) will not be accepted.

  • What is the registration deadline?

    The usual registration deadlines still apply. You can enrol in master's programmes in February of 2021 or in bachelor's and master's programmes in September of 2021. More information can be found here.

My bookmarks


Please wait a moment...