Service Portal

Health and prevention

Together, we’ll get coronavirus under control in the Netherlands when everyone follows these basic rules: maintain a safe distance of 1.5 metres from others, avoid crowded areas, wash your hands often and stay home if you have symptoms and get tested. Read more about the government's measures here:

We are happy to give you more information about what to do if you have corona-related symptoms. You can also find information about testing and vaccination here. Are you worried about the coronavirus or do you feel down? Are you struggling to find the (right) balance between your work/studies and your private life? As a university, we are there for you during these unprecedented times to help you stay healthy.



From September 25, it is no longer mandatory to wear a face mask when you are at the UT. Staying 1.5 metres apart is also no longer necessary, but, of course, you can still maintain social distancing or wear a face mask if you wish.

It remains important to follow the basic measures:

  • Wash your hands regularly, cough or sneeze into your elbow, do not shake hands.
  • Perform a self-test regularly.
  • Stay home if you have symptoms and get tested.

Masks remain mandatory when travelling on public transport, in a taxi or at the airport.

What to do if you have symptoms

If you have mild symptoms, such as a nasal cold, a runny nose, sneezing, a sore throat, coughing or elevated temperature up to 38 degrees Celsius and/or if you suddenly lose your sense of smell or taste, you must stay at home and get tested. To schedule an appointment for a corona test, call this number: 0800-1202. Have your social security number (SSN) ready. You can also schedule an appointment online via You use this same website to view your test results.

Everyone suffering from corona-related symptoms can get tested. It is important to do so in order for the restrictions to eventually be lifted. 

While you await the results of your test, you must not go to the grocery store or receive any visitors. Ask someone else to get your groceries for you or have them delivered to your door and find someone to walk your dog.

  • If the test results show that you do not currently have the coronavirus, you can resume your activities and go outside once more.
  • If the test results show that you do have the coronavirus, you must stay at home until you have been completely free of symptoms for twenty-four hours. Call your general practitioner if your symptoms do not go away or if you develop new symptoms. 
  • If your test is positive, your housemates must also stay at home - even if they have no symptoms themselves. Even people with a vital profession must stay at home. More information about quarantine and isolation can be found on the website of the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM).

Students: If you are ill or in quarantine and therefore unable to take part in your online lectures and/or exams and/or on-campus educational activities or if you need help because you are in quarantine, contact your student adviser.

Staff: if your symptoms prevent you from working (from home), follow the standard procedure for calling in sick.

Please note that self-tests are not suitable for people who have symptoms, people who have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive (revealed by contact tracing) or people returning from a high-risk area. In these cases, you must make an appointment to get tested with the Municipal Health Service.

Positive test

We view your positive test as personal medical information, which is subject to the privacy regulations (GDPR). You are therefore not required to inform us if you have tested positive for COVID-19. However, as a university we would like to be informed as this will help us choose the right approach to prevent the further spread of the virus at the UT. If you are willing to help us to do so, you can inform your supervisor or programme director about your positive test.  

Medical questions

Do you have any medical questions or questions about symptoms related to the coronavirus, you can call the national information number at 0800-1351 (available every day from 8:00-22:00).

  • If you live in Enschede and do not have a general practitioner but would nonetheless like to talk to a physician, contact Stichting Dagwaarneming Enschede by calling 0900-4313333; 
  • If you live outside Enschede and do not have a general practitioner, contact your nearest GP via email or telephone. In all cases, it is advisable to make sure you are registered at a general practice.

UT students who currently do not have their own GP are advised to register with the UT Campus General Practitioners Office. ITC students are advised to register with Healthcare Centre Veldpoort.

Students FAQ 

  • I will be studying in the Netherlands next academic year. How should I deal with the second vaccination?

    You have received a first vaccination abroad and need a second jab. Or you have received a first vaccination from a healthcare provider who cannot give you a second jab. Fill in this application form and you will receive an invitation for the second vaccination.

    More information can be found on the website of the Dutch government about Getting vaccinated against Covid-19. For a corona vaccination in Twente, call the GGD Twente information line: 053 487 6840, dial 1, available daily from 8:30 to 17:00.

  • Can I, as an international student, choose with which vaccine I would like to get vaccineted?

    No, unfortunately this is not possible. Students going abroad cannot choose which vaccine they receive, as this is based on availability in the Netherlands. Please find more information about the order of vaccination for people who do not work in healthcare through the website of the Dutch government. 

  • I am temporarily in the Netherlands. Can I get a corona vaccination in the Netherlands?

    People who are registered with the municipality in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP) will be invited for a vaccination against the corona virus. More information about getting vaccinated against Covid-19 when temporarily in the Netherlands is available via the website of the Dutch governement.

    For a corona vaccination in Twente, call the GGD Twente information line: 053 487 6840, dial 1, available daily from 8:30 to 17:00.

  • When do international students receive an invitation for a vaccination?

    Everyone from the age of eighteen years and older has been invited for a vaccination. Please find a step-by-step guide to getting vaccinated on the website of the Dutch government

    For a corona vaccination in Twente, call the GGD Twente information line: 053 487 6840, dial 1, available daily from 8:30 to 17:00.

  • If I go into quarantine, do my housemates have to self-quarantine as well?

    While you await the results of a corona test, your housemates must also remain in quarantine. If you go into self-quarantine after returning from a trip, your housemates are not required to go into quarantine unless you develop symptoms (fever, shortness of breath). If that happens, the universal basic rules will apply. You can find more information about this topic via the Student Union page.

  • How can I get groceries while in self-quarantine?

    Your (future) housemates and other students can help you get what you need while you are in self-quarantine. The Student Union has practical tips and information e.g. on how to obtain groceries. However, if you truly have no one to help you and you do not have any symptoms, you may break quarantine to go to the grocery store. see

  • What happens when I have to go to a Dutch hospital?

    Dutch health insurance providers cover all corona-related treatments. Make sure to have your insurance card/information ready. Students with AON insurance are covered for all corona-related treatments. Go to the AON website for more information. 

    In case of an emergency, always contact AON Assistance via +31(0)10 44 88 260 (available 24/7) or go to this website. You will always receive the help you need in the event of an emergency or a public health hazard.

  • What can I do when I face discrimination related to COVID-19?

    Unfortunately, discrimination occurs in virtually any group, regardless of the challenges that COVID-19 poses. During a pandemic, some people will seek out victims whom they can blame for the current situation or to whom they can simply direct their frustration. Such behaviour is completely unjustifiable and should be openly discussed within the group in order to put a halt to it as quickly as possible. Sometimes, individuals or groups may not fully realise that they are discriminating against others with their behaviour. In those cases, it is even more important to raise their awareness. If a group or individual cannot deal with the discrimination by itself, it is advisable to seek outside assistance. 

    Ask for advice and support if you or someone you know needs help. You can always contact your student adviser. If you would rather talk to someone outside your programme, you can contact the confidential adviser of SACC (Student Affairs, Coaching & Counselling). 

    You can find an overview of student advisers and the SACC's contact information on the CES's website.

  • What can I do if I have financial difficulties as a result of COVID-19?

    We can imagine that losing your job, the sudden loss of financial support from your parents or a delayed graduation can have major financial consequences. However, there are more possibilities to fall back on than you might think. If you need more information or if your situation is not included in the overview, be sure to contact your student adviser or a student counsellor

  • Can I increase the study grant I receive from DUO?

    Although you may be hesitant to incur more student debt, DUO offers various possibilities to (temporarily or sometimes retroactively) change the amount of study grant you receive. You can find an overview of the possibilities on DUO's website. This option is available to all students under the age of thirty from an EEA member state or from Switzerland.

  • Mandatory quarantine for travellers from very high-risk areas (requirement to stay at home or in your accommodation)

    You must quarantine if you travel/return to the Netherlands after staying in certain countries. This requirement also applies even if you have been vaccinated. 

    Mandatory quarantine for travellers

  • Where can I go if I have questions?

    If you have any questions or concerns that you wish to talk about, you can contact Student Services by calling 053-4892124 or via Due to the current lockdown measures, Student Services’ physical desk has reduced opening hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Visiting the desk is possible by appointment only. For more information, take a look at the website of Student Services.

    Contact your student adviser if you have study-related questions or if you face serious financial troubles. ITC MSc students can contact Student Affairs via for all their questions.

Staff FAQ

  • I suffer from psychological problems. What if the current situation exacerbates my problems?

    In general, people with psychological problems are advised to retain their normal everyday structure as much as possible. Over the coming weeks and months, many aspects of your daily life may become temporarily unavailable. You should therefore strive to go to and get out of bed at the same time every day, eat breakfast/lunch/dinner around the same time and take breaks at your usual times. Furthermore, you can keep in touch (online) with other people and ask yourself whether you wish to discuss your concerns with people close to you. It is also important to maintain your physical health: get enough sleep, eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly. Take a look at for more initiatives and contact information that can help you.

  • Do my pre-existing health issues - such as COPD, diabetes, etcetera - put me at greater risk?

    Contact your general practitioner if you have any medical questions. Generally speaking, everyone runs the same risk of becoming infected with the coronavirus. However, the resulting illness may be more severe if you have one of the following health issues:

    • Chronic respiratory or lung problems (e.g. COPD)
    • Chronic heart problems
    • Diabetes
    • Severe kidney problems
    • Reduced resistance as a result of medication (e.g. cytostatics) or conditions.

    If you have any of these conditions, the government advises you to avoid contact with other people as much as possible, not use public transport, follow the general hygiene guidelines and stay away from sick people. If you have one of these underlying health problems, contact your company physician via the Arbo Unie (088 272 68 00).

  • Mandatory quarantine for travellers from very high-risk areas (requirement to stay at home or in your accommodation)

    You must quarantine if you travel/return to the Netherlands after staying in certain countries. This requirement also applies even if you have been vaccinated. 

    Mandatory quarantine for travellers

My bookmarks


Please wait a moment...