Service Portal

Education and research

Students and lecturers can find all the information they need about education, research and exams during the corona crisis on this page. The corona crisis has impacted the entire UT community. We are doing everything we can to help. If you have any questions or suggestions for improvements, fill out the corona contact form or send an email to our central information point

The Dutch Government announced an important new step in reducing the number of rules and restrictions regarding COVID-19 as of 25 September 2021.

Research for which you need the facilities available on campus as well as laboratory research can continue with due observance of the corona measures. We ask that you conduct any research activities for which you do not strictly need campus facilities from home.

While you are on campus, you must follow the UT's general corona guidelines and check your health before you leave home. If you have any symptoms, contact your supervisor or student adviser. 


Online and on-campus education

For a while now, most of our education has been taking place online. We strive to offer as many contact hours as possible in accordance with the applicable safety measures. Through a combination of online and on-campus education, we are able to offer students the quality education they expect.

Lecturers receive help with the realisation of high-quality online education via CELT. Read more about the guidelines for Shaping Hybrid Education in a 1.5m University.

The timetables for the 2020-2021 academic year are unusual. The new hours are listed in the overview below. At most, a day of lectures will run from 09:00-17:30 or from 13:45-22:00. As you can see, the timetables also include evening classes.

In the academic year 2021-2022 we will return to the regular timetable schedule.

Evening classes

In close coordination with the University Council, it has been decided that teaching evening classes is possible under strict conditions. The goal is to schedule evening classes no more than once per week - or twice per week in exceptional cases. Classes will end no later than 22:00 and there is a maximum of eight hours of classes per day. If possible, a day with evening classes is followed by a day with no classes scheduled in the morning. 

The availability of evening classes represents a temporary measure in light of the COVID-19 crisis. To protect the wellbeing of staff, the stipulations in the collective labour agreement regarding working hours and the Working Hours Act are taken into account.

As a result of the current lockdown, no educational activities - except for practicals and exams - can take place at the moment.

Useful links and toolboxes for lecturers

To support educational staff with their online education activities, the TELT team has created a special web page with recommended tools for online education. You can also contact them via

In light of the corona pandemic, various websites contain relevant information for lecturers. CELT has created an overview of relevant websites (and links) and the sort of information they offer.


During the 2020-2021 academic year, exams will once again partly be held online. Lecturers are hard at work to develop suitable exam methods. If online examination is impossible or difficult, exams can be held on campus. Exams are held on campus in three distinct blocks: in the morning, in the afternoon and in the evening. 

It is the responsibility of every programme to conduct its exams in accordance with the applicable guidelines and inform students about the examination methods that will be used. Read more about the guidelines for Shaping Hybrid Education in a 1.5m University.

The restrictive measures taken in light of the COVID-19 pandemic require thorough preparation before an exam from the lecturer and the student alike. For students, there is the infographic making exams on campus in corona times. In this manner, we guarantee that all possible measures are taken to ensure that exams can be held on campus in a manner that is safe for all involved.
As a lecturer, your first task is to determine whether there is any way to conduct the exam online. For exams where this is not possible, you can consult the infographic taking exams on campus in corona times for a step-by-step overview of how to prepare yourself.

Proctoring: taking digital exams remotely

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it has become common to use proctoring – exams taken online with help from surveillance software. Proctoring can be used at the University of Twente if it is impossible to take an exam on campus. This means we can avoid students incurring unnecessary study delay. Whether or not to use proctoring is a decision made by each course, in close consultation with the relevant Examination Board. An comprehensive explanation about the use of prototoring at UT can be found on our website.

Binding recommendation 

The University of Twente issued a ruling about a reduction of the binding recommendation for students who began their studies in the 2020-2021 academic year. They are required to obtain at least 40 ECTS credits this year, instead of 45. The modified binding recommendation does not apply to students who began their studies in the 2019-2020 academic year and already received a postponed recommendation. The applicable regulation regarding the binding recommendation (BSA) can be found on the Student Affairs Coaching & Counselling page.

Zachte knip/smooth transfer

In the context of COVID-19 it is possible, under certain conditions, to make use of the so called ‘smooth transfer’ from a bachelor’s or pre-master’s programme to a master’s programme for the academic year 2021-2022.

This means that you may be allowed to start with a master’s programme even if you have not yet completed your bachelor’s or pre-master’s programme. Institutions/programmes are allowed to admit (under conditions) students who didn’t finish the bachelor or pre-master yet. The rules apply for both for the September and February intake and for students who study at the University of Twente and to students who are pursuing a bachelor’s degree elsewhere.

First year students

If you are a first-year student, you will receive a question during your Osiris application with regard to the smooth transfer.

Senior students

If you are a senior student, we ask you to please contact the study adviser of the master of your choice to discuss whether it is possible for you to make use of the ‘smooth transfer’.

Please note: this temporary smooth transfer is only valid for the transfer to the next academic year (from September 2021 - August 2022).

The applicable regulation regarding the 'smooth transfer' can be found on the Student Affairs Coaching & Counselling page.

Exchange programmes

More information about the exchange programmes can be found under International affairs and travelling.

studying in groups en self-study

Project rooms

Project rooms have been made available in Carré, Cubicus, DesignLab, Horst, Ravelijn and Technohal, where students can work together on their projects and assignments in a safe environment. These spaces can accommodate groups of up to 8-10 people. Up to a week ahead of time, students can reserve a space through the Resource Booker. 

Self-study spaces

Self-study spaces are available in the DesignLab, University Library, Horst, Spiegel, Bastille, O&O square tent and Ravelijn. Recently the Student Union reopened the Wallstreet location in the centre of town. You are required to make a reservation for all locations via the Resource Booker.

Online teamwork

Teamwork is more challenging in a (largely) online environment. Team members have poor internet connections or are unable to establish a connection at all. Having team members in different time zones further increases the complexity of working together. In an online environment, effective project management and clear communication are even more important than in an offline setting. Every team member has to take their responsibility and adopt a flexible attitude. If your group is unable to facilitate a workable situation, you can contact your tutor/supervisor. If you wish to discuss your personal situation, you can contact your student adviser. Do not wait too long before taking action.


The current maximum number of attendees has been set at 75 for graduations, inaugural lectures and farewell speeches. As of 25 September only the basic measures apply and the maximum group size will be removed. However, the ventilation capacity of a room can still limit the group size for these gatherings. If a reception is given afterwards in a catering facility on campus, the obligation to be in possession of a Corona Access Certificate can be waived.

Commute travel expenses

Colleagues with a temporary position who live more than 25 kilometres away from the campus or ITC building and who normally use the NS-Business Card may claim travel expenses for their commute by car at a rate of €0.19 per kilometre from 1 September 2020 until 31 August 2021. Take a look at the HR overview of temporary arrangements for the applicable conditions.

Colleagues who normally claim travel expenses for their commute may continue to do so based on the actual distance of their commute. The agreed-upon fixed fees do not apply when one does not travel to and from the UT on a daily basis.

Students FAQ

  • How will the introductory period look like?

    Go to Kick-in-website for all the information about the introduction period.

  • What will education look like in the academic year 2021-2022?

    Currently, we are in the process of establishing what our education will look like in the upcoming academic year. With COVID-19 infections decreasing rapidly, we will be able to offer more on-campus education again. More information about this can be found on This page will be updated when we have more detailed information about regulations and guidelines.

  • Self-testing has been introduced. How does that work?

    In the past period, employees and students have had the opportunity to order rapid tests at In the upcoming period, you can still order rapid tests; we ask staff and students to test themselves before they visit the campus, with a maximum of two tests per week. This also applies to people who have already been vaccinated.

    Order online, delivered to your home
    The website where you can order your self-tests is now online. Ordering self-tests is possible until 1 September 2021.

    How does it work?

    1. Go to
    2. Order your Covid-19 self-test
    3. The test kit will be sent to your address
    4. Take the test at home
    5. Is the test positive? Get tested at the GGD

    Please, visit, where you can log in using your UT account. Fill out the order form and fill in the address where you would like to receive your test kit. You do not need to pay for the test kit.

    On the website, you will also find an FAQ, which provides an answer to most questions. If you still have questions after reading the information, you may use the contact address on the website or send us an email via

  • Tuition fee adjustment for academic year 2021-2022

    The tuition fees, course fees or school fees for all students enrolled for the 2021/2022 academic year will be halved. The government has decided this as part of the National Education Agreement in order to give students some financial breathing space during this difficult coronavirus crisis.

    An overview of the tuition fees per academic year can be found on the Student Sevices webpage Tuition Fee.

  • My exams are being conducted by online surveillance and/or proctoring – what is it?

    For more information about proctoring and online surveillance, we kindly refer you to our website of Remote Exams.

  • The Notebook Service Centre is closed. What can I do if I have a hardware issue?

    You can reach the Notebook Service Centre via email or by phone. If necessary, you can schedule an appointment to visit the service desk in the Citadel. The one-hour service is currently unavailable.

  • I am a second-year student with a postponed recommendation.

    For second-year students with a postponed recommendation, tailor-made solutions are required. An addendum has been added to the Education and Examination Regulations. You can read more about this topic here.

  • How does the current situation affect my final BSc or MSc project?

    With regard to research conducted for their bachelor's or master's thesis, students must make individual arrangements with their student counsellor about what is possible and feasible. What is possible depends in part on the availability of guidance for students and options to safely use the available research facilities (this means that any request to use said facilities must go through the assessment procedure that applies to the gradual and partial opening-up of research infrastructure, which is used to determine what research activities can be conducted and under what conditions).

  • How can I learn more about a bachelor's or master's programme?

    Fortunately, there are many ways to find the bachelor's or master's programme that is right for you. We have gathered all these tips for you online. For example, you can schedule a Skype call with a student adviser.

  • What is the registration deadline?

    The usual registration deadlines still apply. You can enrol in master's programmes in February of 2021 or in bachelor's and master's programmes in September of 2021. More information can be found here.

  • I cannot take my English test (IELTS/TOEFL), which means I cannot acquire the documentation I need for my registration.

    There is an alternative English test you can take: the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition test (online test). The UT will accept this test during the February 2021 enrolment period and it is available wherever the TOEFL iBT test is normally available, with the exception of the Chinese and Iranian mainland. Other online English language tests (i.e. IELTS Indicator test, Cambridge online test, etcetera) will not be accepted.

  • My home country is not included in the EU’s list of countries for which the entry ban has been lifted. How can I travel to the Netherlands to begin my studies?

    If you live in a country for which an entry ban is in effect (e.g. the US and China), you can enter the Netherlands with an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV, Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf), such as an “MVV study” or an “MVV highly skilled migrant.” Note that this only applies for direct flights to the Netherlands. This means that other transit countries may not accept this authorisation. 

    Keep the following in mind:

    • If you are not a citizen of the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Canada or South Korea, you are still required to schedule an appointment with the Dutch embassy to pick up your visa.
    • Remember to bring your authorisation from the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) (“MVV study” or “MVV highly skilled migrant”).
    • Air travel: wearing a face mask and having a health certificate are mandatory. 
    • If you are travelling to the Netherlands from your home country or if you travelled abroad in the summer, check whether you are advised to self-quarantine.
    • If you have (mild) symptoms, we advise you to self-quarantine and get tested.

    For more information, visit the website of The Netherlands and You.

  • What about time extensions and other exam facilities?

    For online exams, lecturers will offer a special version of the test with an extended time limit. Lecturers have been instructed about the available options. With regard to other exam facilities, student advisers, the examinations office and lecturers are working hard to find possible solutions. Contact your student adviser for more details if you have not been informed yet.

  • How can I exercise my right to consult my exam?

    Your right to consult your exam remains unaffected. Your lecturer must give you an opportunity to do so. If they fail to do so, you can contact the coordinator of the module or your programme.

  • Why do different programmes employ different examination procedures? This is very confusing for students who are taking courses that form part of different programmes.

    We understand how frustrating and confusing this can be. During the short period of time since we transitioned to online education, we have not had a lot of time to outline general procedures. Furthermore, lecturers and examination boards enjoy a large degree of autonomy. The move towards online education has not altered this fact. As a student, you can have this topic brought up for discussion via the study programme committee.

  • Do I have to take online exams at CET times?

    To prevent fraud, you must submit all assignments and take all exams at CET times, even though this may be quite difficult for you if you live in a different time zone. If you have to take an individual or group exam that has no fixed date/time, you can ask you lecturer to schedule your exam at a time that works for you. However, there is no guarantee that your request will be granted.

staff Faq

  • Self-testing has been introduced. How does that work?

    In the past period, employees and students have had the opportunity to order rapid tests at In the upcoming period, you can still order rapid tests; we ask staff and students to test themselves before they visit the campus, with a maximum of two tests per week. This also applies to people who have already been vaccinated.

    Order online, delivered to your home
    The website where you can order your self-tests is now online. Ordering self-tests is possible until 1 September 2021.

    How does it work?

    1. Go to
    2. Order your Covid-19 self-test
    3. The test kit will be sent to your address
    4. Take the test at home
    5. Is the test positive? Get tested at the GGD

    Please, visit, where you can log in using your UT account. Fill out the order form and fill in the address where you would like to receive your test kit. You do not need to pay for the test kit.

    On the website, you will also find an FAQ, which provides an answer to most questions. If you still have questions after reading the information, you may use the contact address on the website or send us an email via

  • I will need to travel abroad for my work, am I allowed to?

    More information about Travelling and going on holiday can be found under International students and Travelling.

  • What safety guidelines apply outside lecture rooms?

    The public buildings on the UT campus are set up in accordance with the national safety guidelines, e.g. by marking (one-way) paths and placing disinfectant dispensers and information sheets near all entrances. What students or staff do at home is their private business. Lessors remind tenants of their responsibility to keep themselves and those around them safe. The Student Union also shares information about this topic.

  • I worry about my personal safety on campus; what can I do?

    The first thing to do is contact your supervisor. Together, you can discuss available options to help you feel safer. The UT has a legal responsibility to offer you a safe and healthy workspace. Wherever possible, we will provide additional accommodations to realise this. The UT has already adopted all possible preventative measures designed to curb the spread of the coronavirus. These measures will remain in place as long as necessary.

  • What is the UT's policy with regard to using personal protective equipment?

    In conference with your supervisor, you can decide to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) that means the requirements for PPE. A specific PPE guideline has been drawn up for this purpose. If you have to work at less than 1.5 metres from others for an extended period of time, you can ask the Health & Safety coordinator for advice.

  • Where can I order equipment (e.g. for online streaming or recording) to teach online from home or on campus?

    You can order the equipment you need for your home workspace, e.g. a headset and a webcam, via the LISA Self-Service portal.

  • What is UT doing to prepare for the long-term implementation of online education?

    We are working hard to equip lecture rooms and halls with more standard equipment as quickly as possible. For lecturers who prefer not to use their own equipment and would rather use the available permanent facilities, we will create at least forty spaces that are equipped with standard facilities for recording and streaming. Via a "hub” (yet to be installed), lecturers can use the camera and desktop in the lecture room to stream and record their classes. Furthermore, we are currently experimenting with a method that we have dubbed “fixed-full hybrid education” in two spaces in Carré. Lecturers have been informed about this method via email.

  • How can I accommodate students who are entitled to a time extension during exams?

    For more information, consult the website about how students can be given extra time when taking online written exams.

  • Where can I ask my questions about video solutions?

    Visit the LISA website for information about video services. Is your question not answered there? Contact the IT Service Desk ( or the service desk of the building you are currently in.

  • Where can I find more information about hybrid education?

    National regulations and specific UT arrangements regarding remote education are brought together in a single CELT Toolbox called “Shaping hybrid Education for Teaching Staff” (only available in English).

  • How are our students being informed about their programme?

    The programme provides programme-specific information to students (e.g. via Canvas). The Kick-in (introduction period) provides all the information that first-year students need to start their studies at our university.

  • Where can my student go if they have questions?

    1. Medical assistance

    Campus physician or your own general practitioner

    2. Insurance

    Student Services via

    3. Mental health / well-being

    Student adviser of Student Affairs, Coaching & Counselling. (+31 53 489 2035).

    4. Financial affairs

    Student adviser

    5. Social contacts / online communities

    via website/social media of associations

    6. Student accommodation

    Via the lessor, for example (e.g. ITC hotel, Stadsweide, De Veste, Camelot)

    7. Questions about the study programme

    Student adviser

    8. Information regarding timetables

    Canvas or MyTimetable of the module/subject

    9. Study delay

    Student adviser

  • How can I manage my H2020 / NWO / ERC project during the COVID-19 pandemic?

    If you are currently managing an H2020 / NWO / ERC project, the grants office recommends conducting a risk assessment for your project, which can help you decide what measures you need to take. The Strategic Business Development website contains information about the steps you need to follow. If you have any further questions or would like to discuss the situation with a project manager, feel free to contact the Grants Office.

  • Are there any funding opportunities for corona-related research?

    Yes, there are. National and international subsidy options are available to fund research into the coronavirus. A complete list of funding opportunities can be found on the website of the Grants Office, part of Strategic Business Development. The Grants Office helps researchers apply for suitable subsidies. 

  • Are there any funding opportunities to study the coronavirus and help stop the outbreak?

    Yes. Both ZonMw and the Dutch Research Council (NWO) are offering funding opportunities for initiatives that can help stop the outbreak of COVID-19 and study the virus. NWO is reserving a sum of thirteen million euros for the support of corona-related research. Together, NWO and ZonMW are getting twenty million euros for corona research. They have yet to announce how this money will be spent. Furthermore, NWO will allocate 1.5 million euros to urgent research of the COVID-19 virus, for which a total sum of 6.5 million is now available from various sources. NWO is also reserving a sum of 1.5 million euros for non-medical research. NWO is expected to release further information soon.

    ZonMw also offers the StartImpuls (up to €7,500) and the Projectimpuls (€7,500-€10,000), which are intended to help businesses and organisations come up with creative solutions to help those affected by the coronavirus. More information can be found on the ZonMw website.

  • I receive a travel allowance for my commute via the selection model for employment conditions. What will happen to that?

    In 2020, the travel allowance could continue in accordance with your pre-corona travel habits. From 1 January 2021, that is no longer possible. For the time being, this goal will therefore be unavailable. We are currently working on a solution for staff members whose activities still require them to come to the UT on a structural basis.

  • I use my NS-Business Card for my commute. What should I do?

    If you have a subscription on your NS-Business Card and no longer travel to and from work every day, we ask that you confer with your supervisor or the HR adviser of your faculty or service about cancelling the subscription in order to save costs. You can continue to use your NS-Business Card to travel to and from the UT; the only difference is that the UT will only be billed for your actual travel expenses. 

    If you do not have a subscription on your NS-Business Card, you can continue to use it as before.

My bookmarks


Please wait a moment...