- The timeframe of modules 9 and 10 is used for a minor. Different options are available:
- Free Elective Modules in Twente (15 EC or 30 EC)
- Internship (15 EC or 30 EC)
- (Erasmus) Exchange Programme (30 EC)
Students can choose between free electives that are offered by University of Twente:
- A university-wide offer of High Tech Human Touch electives. For example: Philosophy and the Governance of Science and Technology. These electives are 15 EC or 30 EC.
- A faculty-wide offer of elective modules (15 EC) from other educational programmes. For example: Creative Technology, Psychology, or Communication Science.
- The lists of electives at the University of Twente can be found at www.utwente.nl/minor/
- In addition, other universities in the Netherlands or abroad may offer suitable modules (“minors”). These must be combinations that cumulate to 15 EC. Students are themselves responsible for enrolling at such institutions, conditional upon approval from University of Twente. University of Twente will not cover additional tuition fee or other expenses.
Students who wish to do an internship can choose between:
- A 15 EC version—either in the first quarter or second quarter of the fifth semester. The 15 EC version of the internship covers the answer to a relatively small, uncomplicated research question. The internship report includes a reflection of the student on the internship.
- A 30 EC version in the fifth semester (module 13b). The 30 EC version of the internship includes answering a large, more complex research question. The internship report includes a reflection of the student on the internship.
- Size of the internship:
- A 15 EC internship is equivalent to 420 hours, including an internship report of 3,500 words. At least 320 hours must be spent at the hosting organization.
- A 30 EC internship is equivalent to 840 hours, including an internship report of 7,000 words. At least 640 hours must be spent at the hosting organization.
- Each internship needs to address a research question, relating to a question / problem in the hosting organization.
- Organization of the internship:
- The coordinator of the Internship Module is dr. G.H. Reussing.
- Students themselves are responsible for finding a suitable hosting organization for their internship.
- Students must find an “external supervisor” based at the hosting organization.
- Students will be assigned an “internal supervisor” from the teaching staff of University of Twente.
- For each internship, a contract must be signed by the hosting organization and the University of Twente coordinator of the internship module. The research question must be approved by the “internal supervisor” and the internship coordinator.
- Students are responsible for regular contact with the supervisor and coordinator about progress.
- The assessment of the module will be done by the internal supervisor and the coordinator, in consultation with the external supervisor.
Students can choose an Erasmus-exchange programme of 30 EC in an area that is relevant for the Joint Degree Programme from a list with partner universities from University of Twente and University of Münster. For the partner universities of University of Twente: please consult the Blackboard-site ‘Studying Abroad’ and the coordinator Internationalization of the Faculty Mrs. Inge van Haare.