In the department is an opening for a highly motivated and enthusiastic full professor in new and advanced sustainable energy systems and technologies in the built environment. We are concerned with questions related to advanced applications of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, reactions and new materials. Using a combined approach of theoretical analysis, numerical calculations and experimental investigations, the department aims to develop new and advanced knowledge for applications in industry and the built environment. Priority is given to the efficient use of energy and the minimization of environmental impact of our future energy systems.The challenge
More than 30% of the energy supply in The Netherlands is consumed by the built environment for heating, cooling and power. In the coming energy transition, this energy supply has to be made sustainable with 49% CO2-reduction in 2030 and 100% in 2050. Nowadays, the energy supply in the built environment is being made more sustainable at the level of individual buildings: thermal insulation, solar panels and more efficient installations. However, for major breakthroughs new technologies have to be developed and new integrated energy supply system have to be designed. This means that future networks of heat, gas and electricity systems with innovative energy conversion and storage technologies have to be integrated on the level of buildings, neighborhoods and districts.
The main research theme of your chair is to develop methods and models for the analysis of energy systems with integrated distributed generation technologies for heat and power, energy storage, and renewable energy. The analysis on system level will reveal and specify the need of new innovative technologies for e.g. heat pumps, seasonal heat storage and sustainable gas (hydrogen, etc), and this will lead to another research theme of the chair on the development, scaling-up and application of such a new technology in cooperation with industry.
You will offer graduate and undergraduate students a stimulating research environment for their education in the area of sustainable energy systems and technology to perform excellent scientific research in a national and international context with industrial relevance and with application to sustainable heat and power generation in the built environment.
You will also be involved in teaching of courses on BSc- and MSc-level (e.g. Energy Conversion Technology, Thermodynamics, Energy systems).
Are you ready to contribute to a new future of energy supply in the built environment?
- Your research topic is within the field of energy systems and technologies in the built environment.
- You are a dedicated professional, ready and capable to create links between your own research area, the different chairs within the department and the multi-disciplinary context at the University of Twente.
- You have a passion for teaching.
- You hold a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) for Dutch Universities, a similar qualification, or are willing to obtain this.
- You thrive in a collaborative environment and your managerial skills make a difference.
- Your communication skills in English are excellent.
Information and application
For further information you are welcome to contact:
- Prof.dr.ir. G. Brem, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +31534892561.
- Dr. M. Shahi, e-mail email@example.com or phone + +31534892362.
Please upload your application, including your CV, motivation for this position, research statement and education vision via the ‘Apply now’ button.
The application deadline is September 1th, 2019. Since only three documents can be uploaded per application, please combine documents if needed.
You will be appointed for 4 years, with the prospect of a permanent position. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues in which internationalization is an important part of the strategic agenda.
We offer you:
- A fulltime position with a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
- A holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8,3%.
- A solid pension scheme.
- A minimum of 29 holidays in case of fulltime employment.
- Possibilities to save up holidays for sabbatical leave.
- Professional and personal development programs.
- A family friendly institution.
- Excellent research facilities.
- A high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff is strongly encouraged.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The Faculty of Engineering Technology (ET) is one of the five faculties of the University of Twente. ET combines Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Industrial Design Engineering. Our faculty has approximately 1800 bachelor and master students, 400 employees and 150 PhD candidates. The departments of the faculty cooperatively conduct the educational programmes and participate in interdisciplinary research projects, programmes and the research institutes: Mesa+ Institute, TechMed Centra and Digital Society Institute.