The group is part of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science and the MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology. MESA+ is the largest research institute of the UT. The institute trains graduate students and PhD-students and conducts research in the fields of nanotechnology, microsystems, materials science and microelectronics. Unique of MESA+ is its multidisciplinary composition. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
Plantenna is a joint initiative by the four technical universities in the Netherlands. For this project, we are looking for a new postdoc to appoint at the University of Twente.
Our mission in this project is to develop vegetation-integrated, energy harvesting, autonomous sensors that measure in-plant and environmental parameters at high resolution and low cost. Sensor information will be used to develop methods for early detection of plant-stress and environmental strain. This in-turn will enable optimizing water and nutrient application schemes for climate smart agriculture, improve drought protection and support decision-making for environmental protection and climate resilience.
More details about the project can be found here: https://www.4tu.nl/plantenna/en/.
- We are looking for a system architect for realizing low power autonomous sensor nodes in the consortium of the Project.
- In this position, you will investigate energy harvesting techniques from ambient sources in order to attain long battery lifetime and autonomous operation for the “Internet of Plants”.
- We expect you design new system architectures and circuit level techniques in the areas related to (and not limited to) interfacing with sensors for monitoring plant health, crop indicators and environmental parameters, along with low noise low power readout circuitry to process this information.
- You are highly motivated and an enthusiastic researcher (F/M).
- You have a PhD Degree in the field of Integrated Circuit or System Design, specialized in or more of the following: energy harvesting, sensor interfacing and readout circuits, instrumentation techniques.
- You are an independent and original thinker with a creative mindset.
- You are a fast thinker with excellent analytical and interpersonal skills.
- You have good team spirit and like to work in an internationally oriented environment.
- You are willing to learn and expand your horizon of research by interacting with diverse research fields such as agronomics, plant physiology, sensor design and signal processing in the Plantenna consortium.
- You are fluent in English.
- You will be appointed for two years within a very stimulating scientific environment. The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues.
- Salary and conditions are in accordance with the collective labor agreement for Dutch universities (CAO- NU);
- You will receive a salary between €3.255,- and €4.274,- gross per month, depending on your work experience;
- Excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, a year-end bonus of 8.3% and a solid pension scheme;
- Minimum of 29 holidays in case of full-time employment;
- Professional and personal development programs;
- We encourage a high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff.
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) comprises three disciplines that shape Information and Communication Technology. ICT is more than communication. In almost every product we use mathematics, electronics and computer technology and ICT now contributes to all of societies' activities. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders. The research which enjoys a high profile both at home and internationally, has been accommodated in the multidisciplinary research institutes MESA+, CTIT and MIRA.