We use a number of abbreviations at the UT. The table below lists the abbreviations of most education locations and their former names. Abbreviations of teaching locations are used mainly in lecture timetables.


Present name

Previous name















WB-gebouw Ring



WB-gebouw toren



WB-gebouw Hal I









Hal D



WB-gebouw Hal II



WB-gebouw Hal III











Hal B (Entrance Carré, Waaier, Zilverling







Gebouw B












WB-gebouw Hal IV






WB-gebouw Hal V

The following abbreviations are frequently used by students:




Bureau for Educational Affairs


Bachelor of Science


Central Student Administration


Master of Science


Student/Education Administration


University Library


University of Twente

UT Flex

Virtual employment agency UT

Educational programs offered by the EEMC faculty


Business Information Technology (BSc)


Creative Technology (BSc)


Electrical Engineering (BSc)


Technical Computer Science (BSc)


Applied Mathematics (BSc)


Applied Mathematics (MSc)


Business Information Technology (MSc)


Computer Science (MSc)


Electrical Engineering (MSc)


Embedded Systems (3TU MSc)


Human Media Interaction (MSc)


Systems & Control (MSc)


Internet Science and Technology (MSc)

Faculties of the UT


Engineering Technology


Behavioural, Management and Social sciences


Science and Technology


Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science


Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation


Blackboard is the electronic learning environment at the University of Twente. Blackboard is the digital learning environment where supplementary course information is provided for example supplementary time tables, information about practicals, opportunities to submit bonus assignments, but also general supplementary information or updates about the course. It can also be used as a digital discussion group or as a central storage space for files within project groups.

Look at blackboard.utwente.nl


To make small payments at the UT you can use your chip card / smart card. If you pay by cash you have to pay a small surcharge.


Opening hours









(Fr until 19.00)


 Also student restaurant / mensa















Manned from 10 a.m. for coffee and lunch orders








Manned from 10.30 a.m. for coffee and lunch orders

Vrijhof (Theatercafé)



The Theatercafé is run by students between 18:00 and 0:00. Cultural activities are organized periodically.




Manned from 9 a.m. for coffee and lunch orders

*Only for orders

Closing days of the UT

The University of Twente is closed on Saturdays and Sundays and also on:

  • News Year’s Eve, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Ascension Day, Whit Monday, both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, Queen’s Day and Liberation Day;
  • The collective closing days (known as bridge days). As a rule this is the Friday after Ascension Day and the days between Christmas and New Year’s Day.

Course programme

Each bachelors and masters program has its own education site. The course program of the concerned program can be found there.

See also https://www.utwente.nl/en/eemcs/education/#information-for-enrolled-students.

For information about courses you can go to: www.utwente.nl/coursecatalogue

EC/European Credits

The study load of courses is denoted in terms of European Credits (EC). One EC represents 28 hours of study load. An academic year corresponds to 60 EC.


Next to the (main) entrance of the Zilverling building, you will find the Educafe: a space where you can study, work in groups and relax with your fellow students. There are computer workspaces and you can grab a drink or snack from the vending machines. In short: this is an ideal environment to work together on projects. On the first floor, the EEMCS student associations are situated: Scintilla (Electrical Engineering), Abacus (Applied Mathematics) and Inter-Actief (Computer Science). At present, the study association for the Bachelor’s programme Industrial Design, Daedalus, still accommodates the new bachelor’s programme CreaTe.

The Educafe also hosts two shops: IAPC and Stores. IAPC is a non-profit shop where you can turn to when you have questions about or want information on computers. Besides, you can buy laptops and all sorts of computer parts there for reasonable prices. ‘Stores’ sells components (such as resistors and capacitors) and office supplies. Furthermore, IAPC as well as Stores sells study books. Both shops are run entirely by volunteers and they are open during weekday lunch breaks for most of the year.

Education and Examination Regulation

See Student Charter


As a student you will be assigned your own student email address. This email address is s[student number]@student.utwente.nl and in most cases also <student name>@student.utwente.nl. In this case <student name> are the initials plus the surname. E.g. Kees van Kampen will be k.vankampen@student.utwente.nl. To check your email you can make use of webmail. On the website of the Studenten Net Twente (SNT) you can also find instructions on configuring your e-mail to e-mail programs such as Outlook.

The Education administration (BOZ or SO&A), lecturers and employees send information regularly using student e-mail addresses. It is advised that you check your student email regularly or redirect it to another account.

Log in at https://xs.utwente.nl

Enrolment (re-)

Each academic year you are required to re-enrol at the University of Twente using Studielink. This re-enrolment is grafted on to the regulations in the Dutch Higher Education and Research Act (WHW) and it must be completed before 1 September. As soon as your request for re-enrolment by Studielink is received by the Central Student Administration (CSA), it will be verified whether you satisfy the conditions for enrolment. If you qualify for enrolment, your enrolment will be completed as soon as all enrolment documents have been submitted and the payment of your tuition fees is processed.

If you wish to be sure of your enrolment as from 1 September, you must complete all enrolment formalities in time – preferably before 1 August.

When your enrolment is complete, as proof of enrolment you will receive your student card and two declarations of enrolment. The declaration contains, among other things, the programme(s) and the period for which you are enrolled.

Studielink: www.studielink.nl


A faculty is a main department of the university. There are a number of related programmes and research groups linked together within a faculty. The UT has six faculties.

The Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) comprises three disciplines, each of which again has connections with other disciplines.

Besides teaching, research is carried out in the faculties by our research groups/chairs.

This research is entirely clustered in the university research institutes Institute for Nanotechnology (MESA+) and the Centre for Telematics and Information Technology (CTIT), IMPACT and MIRA.

Dean of the faculty of EEMCS is prof.dr.ir. Peter Apers. With him rests ultimate responsibility for all of the faculty’s educational programmes.

The faculty offers the following educational programmes:


Business Information Technology (BSc)


Creative Technology (BSc)


Electrical Engineering (BSc)


Technical Computer Science (BSc)


Applied Mathematics (BSc)


Applied Mathematics (MSc)


Business Information Technology (MSc)


Computer Science (MSc)


Electrical Engineering (MSc)


Embedded Systems (3TU MSc)


Human Media Interaction (MSc)


Systems & Control (MSc)


Internet Science and Technology (MSc)

At the head of every educational programme is a programme director. He marks the outlines of the educational programme and is responsible for the content of the educational programme and its courses.

  • For EE (BSc and MSc) this is dr.ir. M.J. Bentum (Mark)
  • For BIT (BSc and MSc) this is dr.ir. L. Ferreira Pires (Luís)
  • For AM (BSc and MSc) and SC this is dr. J.W. Polderman (Jan Willem)
  • For CSC (BSc and MSc) and TEL this is dr.ir. G. Heijenk (Geert)
  • For CreaTe en HMI this is dr. A.M. Schaafstal (Alma)
  • For EMSYS this is prof.dr.ir. G.J.M. Smit (Gerard)

For more information on the faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science: https://www.utwente.nl/en/eemcs/.


See Educafe

Information Specialists EEMCS

The University of Twente has a team of information specialists who offer support in the purchase of books, provide information on how to use the (digital) library and how to find scientific information on research and education for both staff and students.

  • For EEMCS, the information specialists are:
  • Mrs drs. P. (Petri) de Willigen, Citadel building H203, phone +31 53 489 2085
  • ir. W. (Wim) Oosterling, Carré building, phone + 31 53 489 4633.

International students

The UT has one websites with information for international students:

There is also an international student association ESN Enschede (Erasmus Student Network Enschede), http://www.esntwente.nl/.

Lecture hours

All lecture hours start at a quarter to the hour and end at the half hour.

There are fifteen-minute breaks between lecture hours and a lunch break that lasts 75 minutes. Starting times of written examinations fit in with this schedule.


08:45 - 09:30 h


09:45 - 10:30 h


10:45 - 11:30 h


11:45 - 12:30 h


12:45 - 13:30 h ( lunch break)


13:45 - 14:30 h


14:45 - 15:30 h


15:45 - 16:30 h


16:45 - 17:30 h


17:45 – 18:30 h (diner break)


18:45 – 19:30 h


19:45 – 20:30 h


20:45 – 21:30 uur


21:45 – 22:30 uur

Most lectures comprise two consecutive lecture hours with a break in between. In principle you will have lectures only up to and including the 9th lecture hour.

Examinations are according to the lecture hours:


08.45 h


13.45 h


See: University Library


The bachelor program at the UT has a major/minor structure. Put simply your major is your bachelor program without the minor. You must choose a minor in your third year. A minor is a set of connected courses outside your own field of study. Most minors have a study load of 20 EC.

Minors can be either program minors or theme minors. Students are free to choose their minor, as long as they do not follow the program minor of their own program.

Read further at https://www.utwente.nl/en/education/electives/minor/.


MyUniversity is the coordinating website for all digital systems that you will be making use of at the University of Twente. You can login at this website to access your email, see education announcements, go to Osiris or Blackboard. If you are a student-assistant, you can also login to UT-Flex. This is the virtual employment agency of the University.

MyUniversity: my.utwente.nl


Students starting a bachelors or masters program of the EEMC faculty are advised to purchase a laptop, but it is certainly not obliged. First year students are advised to buy the laptop selected yearly by the UT for the upcoming academic year. The selection is made by taking into account the performance, price, robustness, expected life, maintenance, etc.

The selected laptop is offered with guarantee and a service package of three years at an all inclusive price. The Notebook Service Center (NSC) ensures that students can use the laptop for a minimum of three years for educational purposes. This implies that if students encounter problems they will have a working laptop at their disposal within an hour. As soon as more information is available it will be announced at the website of the NSC.

More information at http://www.utwente.nl/icts/en/nsc

Opening hours of the buildings

All educational buildings of the University of Twente are generally open on working days between 08:00 and 18:00. Furthermore the UT also has fixed closing days. Outside of the opening hours you will need an entry card. Under certain circumstances you can request an entry card for a building from the reception of that building. The Vrijhof, the Sportcenter, Waaier (student restaurant) and the Bastille are open during evenings and weekends.

Osiris (Student information system)

OSIRIS is the new self-service student information system which has recently been put into use by the UT. Via MyUniversity you can log in on OSIRIS using an ‘s’ plus your student number and the corresponding password.

You can find user manuals on https://www.utwente.nl/onderwijssystemen/en/about_the_applications/osiris/. Osiris is available on https://osiris.utwente.nl/student/StartPagina.do or via the student portal my.utwente.nl


There are a number of organizations within the university, the faculties and the programs which cater to the participation of the students and employees in the organization of the university, the faculty and the program.

University Council (URaaD)

The University Council (URaad) is the central participation platform of the University of Twente.

Read further at https://www.utwente.nl/uraad/en/.

Faculty Council (FR)

The participation platform for the faculty is the faculty council (fr).

The Faculty Council EEMCS is a representative advisory body of the faculty. The Council consists of eight students and eight staff members. The students are elected annually, the staff members serve on the Faculty Council for a period of two years. Nominations for the Council take place in April, the elections are held in June. The Council’s term of office runs parallel to the academic year.

Depending on the subject at hand, the Faculty Council has advisory powers or the right of consent about the proposed decisions of the faculty dean. If he wants to take decisions about the outlines of personnel policy, regulations in the field of terms of employment and the occupational health and safety policy, the dean requires the consent of the Faculty Council beforehand. The dean also requires the Faculty Council’s consent beforehand if he wants to take decisions on setting or modifying the faculty Education and Examination Regulation (OER), rules in the field of safety, health and well-being or policy on students’ facilities.

For more information concerning the Faculty Council, please refer to:


Education Committee (OLC)

Each bachelor’s program and the corresponding masters program(s) also has an education committee.

PC rooms

For practical courses the faculty of EEMCS has a number of PC-rooms available. The W-zaal (West-room) and the flexoffice of SmartXP, situated in Zilverling/Hal A, are mainly scheduled for Electrical Engineering and Creative Technology practicals. Furthermore, in the Zilverling building rooms are situated on floor 2 (room 2042), floor 3 (3042) and floor 4 (4054) containing 12, 24 and 36 PCs respectively. During lecture hours a room assistant is present in room 3042. At night this room is open until 20.30h. After 18.00h, you can obtain entrance at the night porter at the main entrance of the Zilverling building.

Please note that near the course rooms in the Zilverling builing staff rooms are situated. So please keep quiet in the building, do not use your phone in the corridors but, for example, go to the stairwell or the Educafe instead, and limit talking in the corridors. Eating is prohibited in the PC-rooms; drinking is allowed, using lockable bottles.

Plan of the University of Twente

Look at www.utwente.nl/contact/routeeng

Program information

Each bachelors and masters program has its own education site where information for students of the concerned program can be found. The url of each program is constructed as follows: www.utwente.nl/[abbreviation of program].

See also https://www.utwente.nl/en/eemcs/education/#information-for-enrolled-students.

Red Desk / “Rode balie”

See Student Counselling Service

Smart XP Lab

In this new multifunctional area in the Zilverling building, it is possible for both parties of the faculty of EEMCS and exterior parties to conduct research in an interactive manner. The lab is a true research playground and offers ample opportunity for testing and experimenting. It is the intention that scientists from different disciplines become acquainted with each other’s fields, which may be to the benefit of their own research. This lab is, as it were, a meeting point where every possible research set-up is imaginable.


See Educafe

Study and alumni associations

Each program has a study association. A study association extends a number of services related to the concerned program(s) to mainly students. The association is engaged in educational tasks (among other things, the sale of text books, organization of study tours), knowledge sharing (among other things, symposia, training, workshops) and social activities (among other things, drinks, outings). Once you graduate you can continue your membership with the alumni association of your program.

Read further at: https://www.utwente.nl/en/eemcs/organization/study-associations/.

Student assistantship

As a student you can have a sideline as a student assistant. An example of this would be working with the communications department or assisting lecturers by grading homework assignments. You are eligible to become a student assistant only once you have obtained 60 EC of coursework. In other cases you can also become a stand-by worker for a lower salary.

Student card

The student card issued by the University of Twente is valid proof of identification within the UT and is also a proof of enrolment. On request, you are required to show this card when using university facilities such as following lectures, taking exams, visiting libraries, etc.

The issue of the card depends on the processing of your enrolment forms, receipt of fees and a digital passport photograph which needs to be taken at the CSA.

Once your enrolment has been processed and a digital photograph has been taken, you will receive your student card by post along with two statements of enrolment.

Uses of the student card:

  • Student card: the card is valid proof of enrolment
  • Library card: the card is equipped with a barcode, allowing it to function as a borrowers card
  • Union card: every student becomes a member of the Student Union after enrolment
  • Xtra-card Student Union: If you have opted to make use of the Campus facilities (sport and culture), the card functions as an Xtra-card as well.

Students charter

As every institute for higher education in the Netherlands, the University of Twente also holds a Students’ Charter. The Students’ Charter is legally based in art. 7.59 of the Dutch Higher Education and Research Act (WHW). The Dutch text of the Students’ Charter is law-making. This means that in case of problems or conflicts you can appeal to the content of the Dutch text of the Students’ Charter (or Studentenstatuut). The Students’ Charter contains a programme-specific section (the OSS) and an institute-specific section.

If you would like to have a printed version of the Charter, it is available on request from the Red Desk: the information desk of the Student Counselling Service.

The institute-specific section of the Charter is at all times available in its most up-to-date form on the website https://www.utwente.nl/ces/sacc/en/regulations/charter/charter2016.pdf.

For the programme-specific section of the Charter (OSS), which contains the Teaching and Examination Regulation (OER / TER), please refer to the regulations and forms section on the website of your programme: http://www.utwente.nl/ewi/en/education.

Student Counselling Service UT

The desk of the Student Counselling Service (the “Rode Balie”) is responsible for individual care and support of UT students at a coordinating level (besides the care educational programmes take for their “own” students). This includes for example a student psychologist, various courses (“self management”, graduating, job application) and the student counsellor.

Student psychologist

You can get help from the student psychologist when you need to talk to someone, for instance when you experience personal problems such as problems in your relation with your parents, friends or fellow students. You do not need a referral: you can make an appointment yourself. The student psychology service aims at having the first session within a week after the student contacted them.

Student counsellor

The student counsellor offers help when you have questions about, for instance, student grants, UT financial support, switching disciplines, problems involved with switching from a school for Higher Vocational Education to University, personal problems, appeal procedures, studying abroad, studying with a disability, and entrance examination (colloquium doctum). In order to make an appointment you need to telephone the secretariat. You have to take the initiative yourself to make an appointment with the student counsellor.

The “Rode Balie” is situated in the Bastille building. For more information, go to: https://www.utwente.nl/ces/sacc/en/.

Student number

Each student has his/her own student number. Your student number can be found amongst other things on your personal student card. It consists of “s” followed by numbers.

Student Services

Student Services offers various support services: you can go there to have your digital picture taken for your student card, to register, enrol or de-enrol. Student Services is situated in the Vrijhof building.

See also: https://www.utwente.nl/ces/studentservices/.

Study advisers

Study advisers are there for when you have questions regarding regulations within the faculty or university or you are struggling with study related issues or private matters that are of influence on study and/or well-being.

Ms. T.H. (Thea) de Kluijver


ZI 1003


Ms. S.B.A.M. (Sharon) Vonk


ZI 1004


Ms. Lilian Spijker


ZI 1005


Ms. Daphne Boere


ZI 1020


Study points

See EC

Studying with a disability

Being disabled, following an educational programme is not always easy. However, the UT makes a serious effort to enable the disabled to study. Physically or sensory disabled students or dyslexic students are given the opportunity to take examinations in a way that is tailored to the requirements of their personal disabilities as much as possible. Students who fall under this regulation have been brought to the attention of S&O/BOZ and the EEMCS lecturers concerned through a letter of the study advisor.

You can also contact student services

Telephone directory

If you would like to know the telephone number or room number of a lecturer or employee at the UT, you can refer to the UT telephone directory.

Look at www.utwente.nl/telefoongids/en


Timetables for lectures hours can be found on the education websites or on the S&O website. Each bachelor and master program has its own education site. The url for each program is constructed as follows: www.utwente.nl/[abbreviation of program].

See also https://rooster.utwente.nl/.

Teaching and Examination Regulation

See Student Charter

University Library

The University Library (UB) is responsible for the scientific information facilities and the library services of the university. The electronic publication of scientific information is thus supported. The information can be found in books and journals at the different locations of the UB and can be accessed as electronic information through the UB website. The UB is located in the Vrijhof.

Read further at https://www.utwente.nl/lisa/en/diensten/catalogus/search/.