Residents who live on De Achterhorst, Reelaan, Drienerbeeklaan and Langenkampweg on the campus are able to request an Internet connection by fiber glass, called Fiber to the Home (FTTH); the LISA can activate this connection.
The advantages of an FTTH connection are:
- 1 Gigabit. The glass fiber reaches a speed of 1 Gigabit, much higher than ADSL or internet by cable.
- Direct connection on UTnet. With glass fiber your are directly connected to the UTnet.
- With a glass fiber connection, you will have access to IPTV.
You will receive high-quality television and radio transmissions on the computer. With a separate “set-top box” you can also receive IPTV via your television.
An FTTH connection can be requested using the self-service portal
The UT charges no connection costs for a glass fiber connection. You can find more information about the rates on the self-service portal.
An FTTH connection can only be requested by residents who live:
- on De Achterhorst
- on Reelaan
- on Drienerbeeklaan
- on Langenkampweg
In addition, the general network rules apply:
- The computer must have adequate security measures.
- The user is responsible for data traffic from his/her computer.
- When determining improper use, the University of Twente is entitled to shut down the computer from the network.
If transferring from the UT's ADSL to the glass fiber connection, the FTTH connection will be activated within two weeks. The transfer will be arranged in such a way that double subscriptions will not have to be paid. The connection is delivered to your meter cupboard.
Canceling the glass fiber is done by contacting the Service Desk ICT. A term of 1 month applies for canceling. The glass fiber modem is on loan and must be collected.
The support of glass fiber connection is done by both LISA and SNT. LISA is responsible for connecting an disconnecting the glass fiber connection, as well as for the operation of the glass fiber modem. SNT is the first point of contact for helping with problems such as registering devices, advising on the choice of your own (Wi-Fi) router, or setting up.
For contact information of SNT see http://www.snt.utwente.nl/
Should you have any questions about the FTTH connection, please first of all read through the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) or contact the Servicedesk ICT.
Access only through the Citadel side entrance at the O&O square.