Virtual Private Networking (VPN) is used to set up a virtual network connection across another physical network connection. In this case, that involves setting up a VPN connection to the University of Twente, so that you will acquire an IP address starting with 130.89, even if your Internet Service Provider is not the same as that of the University of Twente.
- This manual is written for Windows.
- This manual uses a consistent style of writing: references to text and buttons on screens are printed in italics, information that you have to enter yourself is printed in bold.
YOU REQUIRE THE FOLLOWING THINGS:
- An Internet connection.
- Student number followed by @utwente.nl (e.g. email@example.com) or employee (UT) e-mail address.
STEP 1: DOWNLOAD OPENVPN
STEP 2: INSTALL OPENVPN
- Open the installer and install the software. The default settings don’t need to be changed. When you receive the notification about control program or hardware click Install this driver software anyway/Continue Anyway.
STEP 3: CONFIGURATION FILE
- Copy the configuration file, which you have downloaded (step 1) to c:\Program Files\Openvpn\config.
- Windows will present a warning that you'll need administrator permission. Click Continue.
- The file is placed in the right map.
- Old configuration files must be deleted:
STEP 4: START OPENVPN WITH ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS
It's important to start OpenVPN with administrator rights.
- Go to C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\bin and right click on openvpn-gui.exe.
- Select Properties and then the tab Compatibility.
- Check Run this program as an administrator and click OK.
STEP 5: CONNECT
- With the right mouse button click the icon from the system field (bottom right of your screen). If this icon is not visible, start "OpenVPN GUI" from the the desktop or start menu directly.
- Select the connection that you wish to make and click Connect.
- Enter your Student number followed by @utwente.nl (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) or employee (UT) e-mail address
- Enter your password.
- Click OK.
- You are connected when the OpenVPN Connection window automatically closes and the icon in the system tray gets green screens .