VPN is used for setting up a virtual network connection over another physical network connection. In this case it is used to connect your computer remotely to the University of Twente network by acquiring an IP address starting with 130.89, even if your Internet Service Provider is not the same as that of the University of Twente.
- This guide has been written for MacOS 10.12 (Sierra). It is possible that the images for other versions of MacOS are slightly different, but the steps are nearly identical. Separate manuals are available for Windows, Android, iPhone, iPad, Ubuntu.
- This manual uses a consistent style of writing: references to text and buttons on screens are printed in italics, information that you have to enter yourself is printed in bold.
You’ll need the following:
- An Internet connection that is already active.
- An ICT account. This is your employee or student number with corresponding password.
- Local admin rights.
Step 1: Download OpenVPN software and settings
- Download both Tunnelblick for OpenVPN installer and configutation file.
- Open the .dmg installation file.
- Double click Tunnelblick.
- Click Open when asked to open an application from the internet.
Step 2: Installation
- Click Quit.
Step 3: Configuration
- Open the folder with the configuration files in Finder.
- Double click the configuration file.
Step 4: Choose users
- Click Only Me or All Users.
Stap 5. Tunnelblick updaten (optional)
- Start Tunnelblick
- Click Preferences
- Click Check Now
- Click Install Update
- Click Install and Relaunch
Step 1: Choose connection
- Click the icon in the menu bar (right top of your screen).
- Click the connection connect vpn_utwente_nl_tap.
Step 7: User credentials
- At Username, enter your student or employee number (e.g. m0123456 or s0123456).
- At Password enter your ICT account password.
- Click OK.
You are connected once the screen inticates Connected and the icon is a bright tunnel .