2-Step Verification (also commonly known as two factor authentication) is an authentication technique in which you require two separate steps to authenticate yourself (i.e. your credentials and a code you receive via your phone). This increases the security level of your account.
Why do you want to activate 2-Step Verification? For certain Google services, like an application specific password (which is necessary to import your student mail into an e-mail client), 2-Step Verification should be activated for your Google account.
This manual uses a consistent style of writing: references to text and buttons on screens are printed in italics, information that you have to enter yourself is printed in bold.
STEP 1: SELECT ACCOUNT
- Browse to https://googleapps.utwente.nl/ and login with your student credentials.
- In the right upper corner, click on the Google Account Button (the most right circular button).
- Click on My Account to access your student mail account.
STEP 2: MY ACCOUNT
- Click on Sign-in & security.
STEP 3: SIGN-IN AND SECURITY
- Scroll a bit down and click on the arrow on the right of 2-Step Verification.
STEP 4: 2-STEP VERIFICATION
- Click on GET STARTED.
STEP 5: PHONE NUMBER
- Enter your phone number in the form field. Make sure only you have access to this phone number. Use e.g. your mobile phone number for 2-Step Verification.
- Select how you want to receive the security codes: Text message (SMS) or Phone call
- Click NEXT
STEP 6: RECEIVE SECURITY CODE
Google will now send you a security code to verify the phone number you entered in STEP 5.
- Enter this code in the form field. NOTE: Security codes are private and should never be shared with anyone, not even UT-staff or Google personnel.
- Click NEXT
STEP 7: TURN ON 2-STEP VERIFICATION
- Click TURN ON to turn on 2-Step Verification.
Now 2-Step Verification is activated and you are able to generate application specific passwords.