On Wednesday 13 September 2017, JRC will conduct the second part of the training, a half day workshop at the ITC Faculty on settlement modelling with their “Degree of Urbanisation Grid” (DUG) tool. The course provides basic knowledge about the DUG tool and the application of the Global Human Settlement Layer products which are used as the input. In addition to theoretical background and examples of the Degree of Urbanisation model, participants will receive hands-on training in the use of DUG. Please check the short course description and register below.
It is essential that you ensure that you bring your own computer with sufficient power to successfully operate the DUG tool. Please check the minimum specification below. ITC will not provide computing facilities for this training.
Degree of Urbanisation Grid (DUG) tool
Aneta J. Florczyk, Scientific/Technical project officer European Commission Joint Research Centre Space, Security and Migration (Ispra)
Wednesday 13 September 2017
University of Twente, Faculty ITC
Max. 20 (10 places are reserved for ITC participants: please register below on a first come, first served basis)
There is no cost for the training course but participants are expected to cover their own travel, accommodation and refreshments for this day. Food and drinks can be bought in the faculty’s restaurant.
9.00 - 12.30 hrs
- The global harmonized definition of cities and settlements
- “Degree of Urbanization Grid” main concepts
- GHSL data application
- Hands-on computer lab on DUG tool
Participants must bring their own laptop computer (see requirements below)
- Basic knowledge of GIS, remote sensing and data analysis
- Software: Quantum GIS or ArcGIS, Matlab runtime 2016b
- Minimum Hardware requirements for running DUG: 16 GB of RAM - Any Intel or AMD x86-64 processor, 100 Mb (+ 700 Mb for Matlab Runtime) disk space for installation and the Matlab Runtime version 2016b. The supported OS are 64-bit Win7-Win10
To register for this training, send an e-mail to: