The total size of the Master’s programme is 120 EC spread over 2 years. The first year is filled with courses, some of which are obligatory, some can be chosen within certain constraints, and some of which can be chosen freely (albeit subject to approval by the programme mentor). The second year may contain some more courses or a 20 EC internship and ends with the 30 EC final project, and the 10 EC 'research topics', which is usually a literature study as a preparation to the final project.
The Internet Science and Technology programme does not have pre-defined specializations to choose from. Instead, tuning your programme to the specific area within Internet Science that you are most interested in, is done on an individual basis, in discussion with the programme-mentor dr.ir. Pieter-Tjerk de Boer.
The following 4 courses are mandatory:
- 192620010 Mobile and wireless networking (2A)
- 192620300 Performance evaluation (1B)
- 201700075 Internet of Things (1A, previously wireless sensor networks)
- 201700074 Internet security (1A, 2A, previously network security)
At least 4 courses should be chosen out of the following:
- 201700077 Advanced Networking (1A)
- 192652150 Service Oriented Architecture with Web Services (2A)
- 201400177 Cloud Networking (1B)
- 201700073 Ad-Hoc Networks (2B, previously mobile and wireless networking II)
- 192699978 Internet Management and Measurement (2B)
- 192111301 Ubiquitous Computing (2A)
- 192130112 Distributed Systems (1B)
Suggested elective courses:
- Additional advanced courses
- Electrical Engineering courses (www.utwente.nl/ee)
- Embedded Systems courses (www.utwente.nl/emsys)
- CybSec courses (from the Computer Science programme, www.utwente.nl/csc)
- Data Science & Technology courses (from the Computer Science programme, www.utwente.nl/csc)
- Software Technology courses (from the Computer Science programme, www.utwente.nl/csc)
All courses offered by the University of Twente can be found in the course catalogue: www.utwente.nl/coursecatalogue.
- 191612680 Computer Ethics (5 EC, 1B)
- 192199508 Research Topics (10 EC, ALL YEAR)
- 192199978 Final Project (30 EC, ALL YEAR)
The admission committee may have imposed extra constraints on your study programme, to ensure a good match between your bachelor programme and the Internet Science and Technology Master's programme: 1.Homologation courses: these are courses that you have to include in your programme, in the space for free courses. Thus, they fall within the 120 EC of the total programme. 2.Deficiency or pre-master courses: these are courses that you have to do in addition to the 120 EC of the regular programme.