A correct diagnosis is very important before the treatment. There are several medical techniques that can be used in this process. In order to improve these medical techniques many research is needed. In this course you will acquire knowledge in the field of medical research. You will have a look in an intensive care and will learn to practice the learned techniques. You will also do a medical research about wearables and medical applications for patients. You will present the outcomes of this research in a multidisciplinary consultation.
This course is about health and this is a key research theme at the University of Twente. Several hundred researchers are active in this field. They apply various perspectives based on a wide range of disciplines, including medical technology, psychology and logistics. The bachelor studies that are partly or exclusively concerned with health are Psychology, Biomedical Technology, Technical Medicine and Health Sciences
Example topics for this course:
- Research proposal
- Nervous system
- Electrocardiography (ECG)
- You will experience which signals should be measured on a real intensive care.
- You will learn about the function and anatomy of the heart and how to perform an ECG yourself.
- You will do research in wearables and medical apps.
- You will think about medical ethical propositions and safety in healthcare.
- You will take part in a multidisciplinary consultation.
- Methods: Lab work projects, interactive lectures
- Course level: Intermediate
- Target group: High school students preparing for a bachelor’s programme at an University (minimum age of 15 years) with an interest in healthcare
- Required knowledge: Basic understanding of physics, biology, mathematics and research and design
InspireU will start with a challenging case on Monday from a real health organization. This health organization will state a modern problem for which a multidisciplinary solution is needed. Therefore you will be divided in a group of four people, which consists of one member of each course. At the end of each afternoon when all the group members have followed their courses, you will come together in your group to discuss and think about the problem, everybody with his own knowledge. On the final day of InspireU, you will combine all experiences and knowledge in an inspiring brainstorm session. At the end of this day you will provide advice and your final solution to the problem owner. The problem owner decides which group has the best applicable and specific solution, and this group will win the Think Tank!