Although students are expected to maintain a high level of independence at university, there may be times when you could use some guidance or a second opinion. The study advisor is a good first point of contact in such situations. Frequently asked questions are:

  • Did I pick the right major?
  • I never had trouble getting good grades in high school, why am I having so much trouble passing my classes at university?
  • What should I do if I missed a practical or exam?
  • What should I do if I have a disagreement with one of my peers or professors?
  • What do I do if I get behind on my studies due to personal or medical problems?
  • How can I make sure I complete my degree within three years?
  • I lack motivation, what can I do?
  • I am dyslexic, what arrangements should I make?
  • I want to get more out of my degree, what are my options?
  • Where can I find the list of electives and approved minor courses?
  • I’m thinking about dropping out of the programme, what would this entail?

Your study advisor will usually be able to help you with questions like the ones listed above. Situations do arise that require input from a third party (e.g. A central student counsellor, lawyer, psychologist, or medical practitioner). For more information on student counseling, see the links below.