FAIS module offers a STAR-version of the project (FAIS*) directed at the top 10% of IBA students, and highly motivated students. The difference with the regular project is related to the academic level of understanding the different components of the module. We ask the FAIS* students to do the same project as required for the regular students but we want to challenge them in thinking at higher conceptual and analytical levels. An in-depth understanding will be necessary; for example, applying a theory in a more complex and changing environment; performing higher level statistical analysis; developing insights at a meta level. FAIS* students are expected to have proactive and critical attitudes and excel in diverse skills. They will write a supplementary text to the project report. (in particular, estimating beta to measure the cost of capital, and capital budgeting decision process).
FAIS* challenges ambitious students by expecting them to collect and study additional materials and come forward to meet and discuss their views, ideas and results with the experts. For this purpose two meetings (11.00-12.00 on Feb 21 and 9.30-10.30 on March 20 at RA 2314) are scheduled for discussion with academic experts.
Learning objectives of the FAIS* programme
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of the concepts and measurements;
- Reflect on each step of making investment decisions;
- Grasp the essence of a complex business problem;
- Handle time pressure.
- Adequately prepare for and actively participate in the discussion with academic experts;
- Finish a supplementary (of two or three pages) in reflecting on the assumptions, measurements and investment decision process in the project, showing an adequate level of reasoning and coherence;
- Demonstrate excellence in all project assignments and receive score in the top 20% for the overall project grade, and pass all the other module components.
Upon successful completion of these assignments the students will receive the STAR for the FAIS module. The IBA diploma supplement will state that the student has successfully completed the FAIS*.
Application to join the FAIS* programme
Students belonging to the top 10% of the IBA programme and students who are genuinely interested in finance can submit application by sending an email to the module coordinator before 3 pm Thursday the 8th of February 2018. Please mention in the e-mail your motivation, the marks you have obtained in the previous two modules, and/or your expectation from FAIS*. You will be informed of selection decision within a day or two. With shared ambition, selected FAIS* students will form project groups among themselves, unless (s)he wilfully chooses a regular project group.