The situation for student on-call workers will change as of 1 July 2016 as a result of new provisions in the collective labour agreements. We hereby would like to inform you. All students concerned are personally informed by mail. You can also read the information on the site of HR and the student portal
The University of Twente offers students the option to take on small jobs through UT Flex. This gives students a chance to make some extra money and gain experience, and it allows us to involve the students in all kinds of operational processes within the university.
If the student is doing a job through UT Flex, he will have a temporary employment agreement valid for the period in which the student is carrying out that job.
What will change?
Right now, the university is allowed to indefinitely extend temporary student assistant and student on-call worker employment agreements in UT Flex.
This will change for student on-call workers as of 1 July 2016 (which means that nothing will change for student assistants!). As of this date, some student workers may be entitled to a permanent employment as student on-call workers, if one of the following situations applies:
- The student has been employed as a student on-call worker for more than two years, which term has not been disrupted by periods longer than six months and one day.
- The student has had more than three consecutive employments as a student on-call worker (i.e. not as a student assistant or student volunteer) through UT Flex, which employments were not disrupted by periods longer than six months and one day.
The UT does not mind offering student on-call workers who work through UT Flex a permanent contract. However, UT Flex is only intended for students registered with the UT. The permanent employment will therefore terminate as soon as a student’s studies have been completed or if the student drops out. This will make room for new students who want to do jobs for the UT.
- Is the student on-call worker doing a new job that will, due to your employment history, automatically lead to permanent employment as a student on-call worker? In that case, the student will automatically receive confirmation of the permanent employment. Accompanying this confirmation will be a ‘Declaration termination of employment student on-call worker at the end of studies’. By signing this document, the student declare that he will quit your permanent employment as student on-call worker once he is no longer enrolled at the UT.
- After the signed ‘Declaration termination of employment student on-call worker at the end of studies’ has been received, the new job will be activated in UT Flex. From that moment onward, the student can register and submit the hours he worked.
- At the end of the study, the student will receive a written confirmation of the resignation upon his own request from permanent employment as student on-call worker.
- It is not possible to combine permanent employment as a student on-call worker with the Volunteer Scheme (VWR). This option will be blocked within UT Flex once someone is permanently employed. The student can combine permanent employment as a student on-call worker with jobs as a student assistant.
Do you want student on-call workers and/or student assistants to carry out jobs through UT Flex as of 1 July 2016? Please send a request to match a job to a student to the Servicedesk HR via email@example.com as soon as possible. Employees of the Servicedesk HR will take care that the students are linked again to the job(s).