Leaving employment


If your employment contract with the UT expires or is terminated and you cannot find a new job immediately following this, you will become unemployed. This will have consequences for your income, pension accrual and participation in group healthcare insurance.

You qualify for unemployment benefit if you meet the following conditions:

  • The loss of working hours is at least 5 hours per week (or half of the average number of working hours per week in case of an employment contract of fewer than 10 hours per week).
  • During the 36 weeks immediately preceding the unemployment, you received wage from employment for at least 26 weeks.
  • You are not entitled to continued payment of wages.
  • You did not become unemployed through your own fault.
  • You are immediately available for paid work and are registered as a job-seeker with UWV WERKbedrijf, the work placement branch of the Employee Insurance Agency.
  • You have not yet reached state pension age.
  • You are no frontier worker who is entitled to unemployment benefit in the country of residence.

If you are entitled to unemployment benefit, you may also be entitled to a benefit under the Netherlands Universities Enhanced Unemployment Scheme (Bovenwettelijke Werkloosheidsregeling Nederlandse Universiteiten, BWNU). This scheme provides for a supplementary benefit under the Enhanced Unemployment Scheme (a supplement to the unemployment benefit) and a subsequent benefit under the Enhanced Unemployment Scheme (a benefit after the unemployment benefit period). The BWNU also provides for the possibility of wage supplementation. This is a supplement to the income if you find a new job with a lower salary than your previous job salary.

If you are unemployed, you accrue less or no pension. As long as you receive unemployment benefit and/or a benefit under the Enhanced Unemployment Scheme, you accrue only 37.5% pension with the General Pension Fund for Public Employees (ABP). The university pays the contributions for this pension accrual. If you want, you can save for additional pension yourself during the period in which you receive unemployment benefit or a benefit under the Enhanced Unemployment Scheme. If you want to know more about the consequences of unemployment for your pension and the possibilities of fully or partly compensating for this, you can read the ABP brochure or check the ABP website.

As soon as your employment contract with the university terminates, it will no longer be possible for you to participate in group healthcare insurance with Menzis. An exception applies in case of retirement, early retirement or full incapacity for work. In all other situations, you must contact Menzis yourself in order to continue your healthcare insurance on different basis.