The following rules apply during your sickness absence.
Remain at home
Discuss with your manager when you are available for telephone consult and when you will be present at the listed address.
If you move house or address of treatment (e.g., being admitted to or discharged from hospital) during the sickness absence period, you are to inform your manager thereof within 24 hours.
Sickness absence and holidays
If you want to make a holiday trip during your sickness absence, you are to consult with your manager in advance. The company doctor is always to be consulted if you want to take a holiday during your sickness absence. The holiday should be fair and reasonable.
Falling ill during work hours
If you go home sick during work hours due to illness or accident, you are to make sure your manager is informed immediately. All other rules listed in this procedure apply equally. If you have not recovered the following day, you are to follow the rules on reporting sick.
Falling ill during a holiday
If you fall ill during a holiday, you are to receive treatment from a local doctor. You are also to have this doctor draw up a doctor's statement. This statement is to be submitted to the company doctor upon your return home. All other rules listed in this procedure apply equally.
Consult your GP
Should you be incapacitated for work due to a condition requiring medical attention, you are to undergo treatment within a reasonable period and follow all instructions and medical prescriptions of your doctor.
You will do everything in your power that helps you recover and rehabilitate and will cooperate with your manager's sickness absence counselling.
During your sickness absence period, you will not perform any paid or unpaid work, except insofar as it concerns work you are instructed to do to recover your health or which can be considered suitable. You are to consult with your manager on this matter.
You are obliged by law to perform suitable work.
Coming to surgery
If you are absent sick, your manager might call you up to come to the company doctor's surgery. You are obliged to act in accordance with this call.
If you have by that time recovered, you are obliged to notify the company doctor accordingly, so as to prevent the charging on of costs.
Dispute on incapacity for work
In case of a dispute on the extent of the incapacity for work or the planned rehabilitation activities, you and your manager may both request a second opinion by the Employee Insurance Agency. This second opinion is referred to as an expert opinion. The Employee Insurance Agency's opinion is, however, not binding. The related costs (€50.00) are for the account of the party requesting the opinion.
Expected prolonged sickness absence
No later than 2 weeks following the first day of absence, you and your manager will together discuss your situation to verify whether you are expected to recover in the short term. Should this be the case, you will together draft a work resumption plan. Should it be unclear when you will be able to return to work, however, your manager will consult with the rehabilitation coordinator to have the staff member be called up for a visit to the company doctor.
This visit may lead to any of the following conclusions:
- no clear estimate can be provided on when the staff member is certain to resume their work, not even when interventions are performed. In this case the company doctor will perform a problem analysis. From that moment, the 'expected prolonged sickness absence' procedure starts to apply.
- a clear estimate can be provided on when the staff member is certain to resume their work, for instance through performing interventions. The company doctor will list the interventions concerned. On the basis of this report, you and your manager will together draft a rehabilitation plan stating a clear final objective (the date you will return to work). The plan will be assessed no later than in the 5th week of sickness absence. Should it become clear that the rehabilitation has not been met or will not be met, the manager will consult with the rehabilitation coordinator to have a problem analysis performed as yet. You might be called up for another visit to the company doctor in this context. At any rate, from that moment, the 'expected prolonged sickness absence' procedure starts to apply.
Resumption of work and reporting fit for work
As soon as you are partially or wholly able to resume your work, you need not await a special notice to do so. You are to do the following, however:
As soon as you know the date you will return to work, you will inform your manager accordingly. You will also report fit for work with the sickness registration official of your unit.
If an appointment has been made with the working conditions service, you are to cancel that appointment yourself. If you do not, the costs of this consult may be charged on to you.
Sickness absence meeting
Your manager might contact you for a sickness absence meeting. The purpose of this meeting is for the manager to obtain a clear picture of the reasons for your absence and to look into possibilities of preventing or reducing the length of your absence.
In the following cases your manager might contact you for a sickness absence meeting:
- in case of frequent absence: you were absent 3 or more times in 12 months
- in case of conspicuous absence: your absences show a returning pattern
- in case of doubt about your absence
- in case of prolonged absence
- when there is a suspicion your absence is related to the work
Sometimes, the sickness absence meeting is preventive in nature:
- when there is a suspicion of expected prolonged sickness absence
- when your manager is worried about your health