The different parts of the programme have been changed into fully virtual programmes:
The pitch training for participants of the University of Twente, as well as the Regional Heat of our University, were held online by the University of Amsterdam.
This will take place within the end of June to give each participant the time to get the most out of this learning experience and put it in practice in their pitches for the final.
FameLab National Final:
The National Final will be fully virtual; the event will be live-streamed on 10 September 2020. Participants' pitches will be pre-recorded to avoid troubles due to instable internet connections for any of the participants. However, questions from the Jury will be live.
As soon as more information is available, we will communicate this here. (Updated 27 May 2020)
Take part in the FameLab Regional Heat, win a KNAW masterclass and even represent the Netherlands in the UK!
During FameLab, young scientists present their research during engaging three-minute presentations in front of a general audience. Since its launch at the Cheltenham Science Festival in the UK in 2005, FameLab has become the world’s leading science communication competition with preliminary rounds in more than 30 countries with over 9000 participants so far.
Are you a student, lecturer or researcher in science, mathematics or engineering between the ages of 21 and 40 years and can you present your topic in an entertaining and engaging manner to a large audience, in English and without PowerPoint… in just 3 minutes? Then be sure to take part in the UT FameLab Regional Heat, win a masterclass and battle it out to represent the Netherlands in the UK!
Here you can find a video of the final in Utrecht in 2018, which was won by Jair Santanna of our University!
Impress the judging panel and audience within three minutes while presenting a scientific topic of your choice. No slides, just science. You are permitted to use props that you can carry onto the stage yourself. Presentations will be judged based on the 3 Cs: Content, Clarity, Charisma.
FameLab provides a unique experience for the advancement of your presentation skills. Each winner of the Regional Heats will also receive a 2-day KNAW masterclass given by prominent science communicators. The winner of the national final will also be treated to a trip to Cheltenham (UK) to represent the Netherlands in the FameLab International Final.
- Target group: students, lecturers and researchers with the University of Twente in science, mathematics or engineering and between the age of 21 and 40 years
- Make a 3-minute presentation on a scientific topic
- PowerPoint is not permitted
- Props are permitted on stage (no clothing!) but are limited to what you can carry on stage
- All presentations and stages of the competition are to be conducted in English
- Register before 27 March 2020 by filling out the form below
- You must be able to participate in all phases of the competition – the Regional Heat, the Masterclass and the National Final
- A second presentation is required from participants selected for the national final. Content and style must be demonstrably different or a different topic may be selected
- One of the previous presentations may be used at the international final in Cheltenham (UK)