Take part in the FameLab Regional Heat, win a KNAW masterclass and even represent the Netherlands in the UK!
During FameLab, young scientists present their research during engaging three-minute presentations in front of a general audience. Since its launch at the Cheltenham Science Festival in the UK in 2015, FameLab has become the world’s leading science communication competition with preliminary rounds in 30 countries and more than 7000 participants.
Are you a student, lecturer or researcher in science, mathematics or engineering between the ages of 21 and 40 years and can you present your topic in an entertaining and engaging manner to a large audience, in English and without PowerPoint… in just 3 minutes? Then be sure to take part in the UT FameLab Regional Heat, win a masterclass and battle it out to represent the Netherlands in the UK!
Here you can find a video of last year's final in Utrecht, which was won by Jair Santanna of our University!
Impress the judging panel and audience within three minutes while presenting a scientific topic of your choice. No slides, just science. You are permitted to use props that you can carry onto the stage yourself. Presentations will be judged based on the 3 Cs: Content, Clarity, Charisma.
FameLab provides a unique experience for the advancement of your presentation skills. Each winner of the Regional Heats will also receive a 2-day KNAW masterclass given by prominent science communicators. The winner of the national final will also be treated to a trip to Cheltenham (UK) to represent the Netherlands in the FameLab International Final.
- Target group: students, lecturers and researchers with the University of Twente in science, mathematics or engineering and between the age of 21 and 40 years
- Make a 3-minute presentation on a scientific topic
- PowerPoint is not permitted
- Props are permitted on stage (no clothing!) but are limited to what you can carry on stage
- All presentations and stages of the competition are to be conducted in English
- Register before 15 February via the FameLab website
- You must be able to participate in all phases of the competition – the Regional Heat, the Masterclass and the national final
- A second presentation is required from participants selected for the national final. Content and style must be demonstrably different or a different topic may be selected
- One of the previous presentations may be used at the international final in Cheltenham (UK)
- 5 March 2019 – University of Twente Regional Heat. This preliminary round is organized in collaboration with UT’s Studium Generale.
- 11 - 12 April 2019 – Masterclass for finalists at KNAW in Amsterdam
- 9 May 2019 – National final at TivoliVredenburg in Utrecht
- June 2019 – International final in Cheltenham (UK)
The regional heat will be held at the University of Twente on 5 March 2019. The closing date for registrations at the University of Twente will be 15 February 2019.
Enter the competition and apply here.
Are you in need of a lively audience to support you during your presentation at the UT Regional Heat? Feel free to invite your family and all your friends to attend and cheer you on!