The Bachelor Honours Programme is an excellence programme at the University of Twente and is more demanding than regular courses. For this reason, you need to follow a selection procedure before you can take part in the programme.
During this procedure, not only your study results and achievements but also your motivation is important. Excellent grades do, therefore, not always lead to direct admission. This is because we expect quite a lot of input from your side and you need to have the will to get everything out of the programme all by yourself. Nevertheless, results also play a role as we expect that you will not have any troubles completing your regular studies while following the programme. Therefore, there are minimum requirements you need to meet if you want to take part in the programme.
To participate in the Bachelor Honours Programme you need to belong to some of the best students of your study. At the start of the Honours programme, you need to have successfully completed all your modules till now, unless you are able to show that you have legitimate reasons not to have this (like activism, illness, etc.) Besides, you need to have a considerable amount of free time besides your regular studies to follow the programme.
Students will only be admitted to the Bachelor Honours Programme if they are:
- A first or second-year student, following one or more UT-Bachelor programme(s).
- Having a nominal study progress for the UT-Bachelor programme(s) they follow at the moment of admission.
- Having an average grade of 7.5 or higher for the UT-Bachelor programme(s) they follow at the moment of admission. (This is just a guideline.)
In the summer holiday (after 2 quartiles), the Honours students will be screened. They are allowed to follow the remaining 4 quartiles if they have:
- A nominal study progress for the UT-Bachelor programme(s) they follow at the moment of screening.
- Successfully finished all the Honours modules they have participated in.
(In exceptional cases, the Honours Office may deviate from these guidelines on an individual basis.)
Honours candidates are selected based on:
- The average grade for the UT-Bachelor programme(s) a candidate follows at the moment of admission.
- An interview with a teacher from the track of your first-choice.
- A motivation letter, answering the following questions:
1) What are your passions and talents?
2) What extracurricular activities have you participated in?
3) How do you want to develop as a person and how might the Honours Programme help you?
4) What is your definition of Honours?
5) Which tracks did you choose and why did you choose those tracks?
When writing your letter, please consider the following:
1) The letter should consist of 500-750 words.
2) The letter has to be a PDF.
3) The letter should have your student number as the file name (e.g. s1234567).
If you still have any questions regarding the programme and its contents please contact us.