Decision Support System for ecosystem upgrading and flood control of a sustainable development in the Red River System (China, Vietnam)
The overall objective of the FLOCODS project is to develop a Decision Support System (DSS) in support of flood control and ecosystem upgrading with particular emphasis on the Red River System (RSS). The DSS will be developed in a general way so that it can be used later for similar rivers in other Asian countries. On a short-term basis (2001-2003), the research phase serves for applied research to lay the scientific foundations and allow initial validation for a generic DSS using RRS as its test bed. The specific objectives of the pilot phase are:
- Development of a pilot DSS in using advanced techniques
- Identification of possible measures to be taken for flood control and ecosystem upgrading, and evaluating their socio-economic impacts
- Improvement of the capability of Asian partners
The project consists of the following work packages:
- WP 1: Geographical and land use background of RRS
- WP 2: Hydrological background for a generic DSS
- WP 3: Hydraulic background for a generic DSS
- WP 4: Socio-economic model background for a generic DSS
- WP 5: Computer vision techniques for remote sensing and GIS data
- WP 6: Pilot DSS development
The Water Resources Management group is involved in WP 2, WP 4 and WP 6. Other partners in this project are:
- University of Caen, Department of Mathematics and Mechanics - UC (France)
- Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse - INPT (France)
- Institute of Research for Development - IRD (France)
- Laboratorio Nacional de Engenharia Civil – LNEC (Portugal)
- Instituto Superior Técnico of Lisbon – IST (Portugal)
- Institute of Mechanics – IMECH (Vietnam)
- Department of Flood Control and Dyke Mangement – DFCDM (Vietnam)
- Asian Institute of Technology, School of Advanced Technologies – AIT (Thailand)
- Institute of Automation – IOA (China)
For more information please contact Martijn Booij or visit the FLOCODS website.
Publications [see ‘Publications’ for PDF-file or request free hard copy]
Booij, M.J., 2003. Decision support system for flood control and ecosystem upgrading in Red River basin. In: G. Blöschl, S. Franks, M. Kumagai, K. Musiake and D. Rosbjerg (Eds.), Water Resources Systems - Hydrological Risk, Management and Development. Proc. Symposium HS02b at IUGG 2003, 30 June-11 July 2003, Sapporo, Japan. IAHS Publ. no. 281, 115-122.
Booij, M.J. and Tran, H.T., 2005. Appropriate scales for hydro-climatological variables in the Red River basin. In: T. Wagener, S. Franks, H.V. Gupta, E. Bøgh, L. Bastidas, C. Nobre and C. de Oliveira Galvão (Eds.), Regional Hydrological Impacts of Climatic Variability and Change – Impact Assessment and Decision Making. Proc. Symposium 6 at IAHS 2005, 3-8 April 2005, Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil. IAHS Publ. no. 295, 325-332.
De Kort, I.A.T., 2003. Decision making under uncertainty. Ranking measures in a Decision Support System for flood control in the Red River in Vietnam, while taking uncertainty into account. MSc-thesis. University of Twente, Enschede.
De Kort, I.A.T. and Booij, M.J., 2004. Decision making under uncertainty in a decision support system for the Red River. In: C. Pahl-Wostl, S. Schmidt, A.E. Rizzoli and A.J. Jakeman (Eds.), Complexity and Integrated Resources Management. Trans. Second Biennial Meeting of the International Environmental Modelling and Software Society (Vol. II), 14-17 June 2004, Osnabrück, Germany, 556-561.
De Kort, I.A.T. and Booij, M.J., 2007. Decision making under uncertainty in a decision support system for the Red River. Environmental Modelling and Software, 22, 128-136.