Name: Prof.dr.ir. J.L. (Just) Herder
Department: Mechanical Automation / Faculty of Engineering Technology
Building, Room: Horstring (building number 21) HR, Z-223
Tel.: +31 53 489 4844
Tel. Secretary: +31 53 489 2502
Fax: +31 53 489 3631
Position: Professor (part-time)
Further information: See below
Prof.dr.ir. J.L. Herder
University of Twente
Faculty of Engineering Technology (CTW)
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Laboratory of Mechanical Automation
Horstring, room HR W-223
P.O. Box 217
7500 AE Enschede
PhD (2001, cum laude) and MSc (1992, cum laude) in Mechanical Engineering, both obtained from Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands.
2009-present: Full Professor in Design of Mechanisms and Robotics (0.2 fte), University of Twente, Faculty of Engineering Technology, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Laboratory of Mechanical Automation.
2012-present: Full Professor in Interactive Mechanisms and Mechatronics (0.8 fte), Delft University of Technology, Faculty of Mechanical, Maritime, and Materials Engineering, Department of Precision and Microsystems Engineering.
2007-2012: Associate Professor, Delft University of Technology, Faculty of Mechanical, Maritime, and Materials Engineering, Department of Biomechanical Engineering.
2002-2003: Visiting researcher (5-months sabbatical leave), Laval University, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Robotics Laboratory.
1998-2007: Assistant Professor, Delft University of Technology, Faculty of Mechanical, Maritime, and Materials Engineering, Department of Biomechanical Engineering.
Design of Mechanisms and Robotics.
Integrated modeling, simulation, design and experimental evaluation of:
- Compliant mechanisms
- Dynamically balanced manipulators
- Cable driven robots
- Underactuated mechanical systems
Design Principles for Precision Engineering (113136), shared with Dr Dannis Brouwer.
Selected Other Activities
- Executive Council member and Treasurer of the International Federation for the Promotion of Mechanism and Machine Science (IFToMM).
- Chair, Second International Symposium on Compliant Mechanisms (CoMe2011).
- Associate Editor, Mechanism and Machine Theory.
- Associate Editor, ASME Journal of Medical Devices.
- Contributed Papers Chair, Design of Medical Devices Conference (DMD2010-2012).
- Program Chair, International Workshop on Underactuated Grasping (UG2010).
- Publicity Chair, IEEE/ASME International Conference on Reconfigurable Mechanisms and Robots (ReMAR 2009, 2012).
- General Co-Chair and Scientific Program Chair, 10th IEEE International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics (ICORR2007).