Dr. Ing. Lissy La Paix Puello has about 10 years of experience in transport studies. She is currently lecturer, assistant professor, at the Centre for Transport Studies in the University of Twente. She is Doctor by the Civil Engineering faculty of Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, with Master and Civil Engineering degree.
She has worked in several international projects. Her expertise covers discrete choice models, travel behaviour, quantitative and qualitative methods applied to accessibility, spatial analysis and urban transport planning. As a lecturer at University of Twente, she is currently coordinating two master courses: Land Use and Transport Interactions (LUTI) and Transport Modelling. She worked as postdoctoral research at University of Twente on the project ‘Transit Oriented Development in Randstad South wing’. Previously, she was researcher at the Centre of Transport Research TRANSyT-UPM, where she worked in national and international research projects. She has collaborated in Transport and Mobility Laboratory (TRANSP-Or) at Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) and DTU-Transport at Technical University of Denmark, and as consultant in Dominican Republic and Spain.
Dr. Lissy La Paix is expert on modelling travel behaviour. Her thesis titled “Modelling the impact of built environment, geographical scales and latent constructs on individual travel behaviour” was awarded cum laude by the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid. In the Thesis, a set of empirical analyses was carried out for analysing the effect of self-selection, propensity to travel and built environment attributes in trip-frequency and tour type. During her education period, she was awarded with doctoral fellowship, two postgraduate fellowships and three prizes for excellent marks. She was recently granted by the Female Faculty Network of the University of Twente with incentive funds for talent woman.
Room: Horst Room Z216
Phone: +31 (0) 53 - 489 2877
Phone secretary: +31 (0) 53 - 489 4322
Email: click on this text and remove NOSPAM
Position: Assistant Professor
Spanish (native); English (C2); French (B2), Dutch (B2)
Phd, Doctor of Philosophy
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM)
Master of Airport System Operation and Management
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM)
Specialization in Land Transport
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM)
Specialization in Project Management
Technological Institute of Santo Domingo (INTEC)
Technological Institute of Santo Domingo (INTEC)
2012 - current
Assistant professor, Centre for Transport Studies, Faculty of Civil Engineering, University of Twente
Position: lecturer, transport consulting and planner
Transport Research Centre, TRANSyT. Universidad Politécnica de Madrid. Position: researcher
- Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Department of Transport. Position: visitor researcher
- Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale (EPFL), Transport and Mobility Laboratory. Position: visitor researcher
INTECSA-INARSA. SNC- Lavalin Group. Engineering and Consulting. Madrid, Spain
Position: transport consulting advisor
EPSA-LABCO, Engineering and Consulting
Position: transport engineer
METAL AMERICA S.A. Construction ; VIDSA S.A. Construction
Position: civil engineer
Selected professional experience
Mobile Mobility Panel: Analysis of GPS data, discrete choice models and intrapersonal variation
Mobility Panel of the Netherlands: Examines the influence of panel attrition on the intrapersonal dynamics in self-reported trip rates, using the data from the 2013, 2014 and 2015 waves of the Netherlands Mobility Panel, a large scale household panel.
TOD – NOW: Quantifies the different factors that influence access and egress mode choice to railway stations, and their subsequent influence on train use, includes SP experiments, scenarios development and geographical analysis
Value of time in Dominican Republic: Contributed to transport models for Dominican Republic in collaboration with Louis Berger.
Access management major Roads Dominican Republic: Access management major Roads Dominican Republic, traffic simulations and scenarios analysis. Project manager, University of Twente
HABIT – Ministry of Science and Innovation. Transport demand models: discrete choice
Analysis of panel data
Ciudad 2020 (Smart City). Implementing Information and Communication Technologies to efficient transport service. Passenger and Freight Mobility Analyses. Study of external cost associated to transport services
Thesis. Estimating trip frequency and tour complexity using disaggregated elements of urban environment We compare different travel dimensions and geographical scales, and we measure self-selection contribution following the joint models. Develop a hybrid model, integrated latent variable and discrete choice model. The implementation of hybrid models is new in the analysis of land-use and travel behaviour.
COST ACTION TU804 – SHANTI. Analysis and comparison of household travel surveys, freight and implementation of GPS technologies in Europe. Final report and publications
COST 355 – WATCH. Analysis and comparison of travel surveys for passengers and freight in Europe
METRONOME – A. Developing a methodology for evaluating transport research projects
Several projects related to transport planning and consulting
Supervision Master-thesis: 13
Otto Coster. Bicycle accessibility of StedenbaanPlus train stations: development of a quantitative accessibility measure.
Jord van der Vliet How many wheels will it be today?. In collaboration with Goudappel Coffeng
Daniel Meijer, How demand and capacity build the exploitation of bicycle-parking facilities at train stations in The Netherlands.
Rik Schakenboos Valuation of a transfer in a multimodal public transport trip. In collaboration with Dutch Railways (NS).
Thijs Teunissen an ex-post evaluation framework for brt and mrt in developing countries. In collaboration with Embarq, Mexico.
Jeroen van Ginkel The value of time and comfort in bicycle appraisal. In collaboration with Nijmegen city Region.
Gerke Fietsma, Plug-in hybrid vehicle drivers: future EV drivers?. In collaboration with PBL, Netherlands.
Tsjibbe Hartlod, Demand forecasting of new local train stations in the Netherlands. In collaboration with Goudappel Coffeng.
In progress - Enzo Bronwaer, Impact of comfort enhancement measures on traveller satisfaction and ridership. An ex-post analysis for the Dutch Railways and the province of North-Brabant.
In progress – Wietse Te Morche, Small scale public transport and Alternative Transport Services. An overview of appropriate Alternative Transport Service types based on user group needs and factors determining the performance of Alternative Transport Services.
In progress - Clifton Amoida, An analysis of the anticipation- and lagged effects of life-events on present transport in The Netherlands.
In progress - Deborah Neves, Impacts of winter related railway disruption on networkperformance.
In progress - Saidul Chowdhury, Intrapersonal variation of mode, route and destination choice between habitual and novelty seeking behavior.
PhD dissertations: 4
(2014 – ongoing) Marie-José Olde-Kalter: Analysis of Mobility Panel of the Netherlands
(2015 – ongoing) Andani Ayu, equity and accessibility Effects of Cipullarang Toll-road in Indonesia
(2012 – ongoing) Flavia de Souza, bicycle accessibility in Rio de Janeiro
(finished) Silvia Bernardi, GPS data and route choice. University of Bologna, Italy
Coordination and teaching activities
- Land-use and transport interaction. University of Twente, Faculty of Civil Engineering
- Transport modelling course. University of Twente, Faculty of Civil Engineering
- Lecturer, Minor, how to make smart cities smarter?, in collaboration with construction and robotic department, UT.
- External examiner: bachelor theses 4 (UT); master theses 2 (ITC)
Selected journal publications
- La Paix-Puello, L. C. & Geurs, K. T. (2016) Integration of unobserved effects in generalised transport access costs of cycling to railway stations. European journal of transport and infrastructure research. 16 (12) 385-405. http://www.tbm.tudelft.nl/fileadmin/Faculteit/TBM/Onderzoek/EJTIR/Back_issues/16.2/2016_02_05.pdf
- La Paix Puello, L. C. & Geurs, K. T. (2016) Train station access and train use: A joint stated and revealed preference choice modelling study. To be published in: Geurs, K.T., R. Patuelli, T. Dentinho (Chapter 8), Accessibility, Equity and Efficiency. Challenges for transport and public services. Edward Elgar, Northampton (USA).
- Schakenbos R., La Paix L., Nijenstein S, Geurs K.T., Valuation of a transfer in a multimodal public transport trip. Transport Policy (2016), pp. 72-81 DOI information: 10.1016/j.tranpol.2015.11.008
- Geurs, La Paix and van Weperen, 2016. A multi-modal network approach to model public transport accessibility impacts of bicycle-train integration policies. European Transport Research Review (2016) 8: 25.
- La Paix-Puello, L. C. & Geurs, K. T. (2015). Modelling observed and unobserved factors in cycling to railway stations: application to transit-oriented-developments in the Netherlands. European journal of transport and infrastructure research, (ISSN 1567-7133 & 1567-7141), 15(1), 27-50. http://purl.utwente.nl/publications/93943 (IR)
- La Paix, L., Bierlaire, M., Cherchi, E. & Monzón, A., 2013. How urban environment affects travel behaviour? Integrated Choice and Latent Variable Model for Travel Schedules. Chapter 10 in Choice Modelling. The Stated of the Art and the State of Practice. Ed. Stephane Hess & Andrew Daly. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham (UK) and Norhtampton (USA). http://www.elgaronline.com/view/9781781007266.00015.xml
Conference papers and on-going publications
- La Paix, L., Olde-Kalter, MJ., and Geurs, K. (2017). Measurement of non-random attrition effects on mobility rates using trip diaries data. The 11th International Conference on Transport Survey Methods (ISCTSC'2017), 24-29 September, 2017, Esterel, Quebec, Canada (Accepted)
- La Paix, L., Chowdhury, S., and Geurs, K. (2017). Panel Data for Modelling Dynamics in Duration of Outdoor Leisure Activities. 5th International Choice Modelling Conference, 3-5 April 2017, Cape Town, south Africa.
- La Paix, L. and Geurs, K., (2016). Modelling access and egress mode choice to train stations using multilevel hierarchical mixed logit models. 5th Symposium European Association for Research in Transport (hEART), Delft, Sept 14-16, 2016. http://www.heart2016.org/
- La Paix, L., Pritchard, J., and Gómez-Ramírez, F., (2016). Highway Access Management, infrastructure and equity. A case study in Dominican Republic. Nectar Cluster Workshop Warsow, October 2016.
- Chowdhury, S., La Paix, L. and Geurs, K., (2016), Analyzing Travel behavior for the passengers of leisure activity. Nectar Cluster Workshop “Tourism and Transport: exploration of interdependencies”. Lugano, September 29th – Oct. 1st 2016. (Accepted)
- Bernardi, S., La Paix, L. and Geurs (2016). Evaluation of Dutch cycling patterns: evidences from smartphone data. Velocity conference, Journal of Land-use and Transport (JTLU) (submitted)
- La Paix, L., Martínez, H., Geurs, K., (2016). Analysis of the dynamics of catchment areas and train use. Transportation Research Board, Washington DC, January 2017, TRB paper (submitted)
- De-Souza, F., La Paix, L, Brussel, M, ORRICO, R., van Maarseveen, M. (2016) Modelling access mode choice to bus, train and metro in Rio de Janeiro. Journal of Transport Policy (submitted).
- De-Souza, F., La Paix, L, Brussel, M, ORRICO, R., van Maarseveen, M. (2016) Modelling the potential for bicycle in access trips to bus, train and metro in Rio de Janeiro. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment (submitted).
- La Paix, L., Cherchi, E., and Geurs, K. (2015). Integration of unobserved effects to improve transport impedances of cycling to railways stations. International Nectar Conference “Smart Transport—Smart Planning”. Michigan, June 2015.
- La Paix, L. and Geurs, K (2014). Adaptive stated choice experiment for access and egress Mode choice to train stations. World Symposium of Transport Land Use and Research (WSTLUR) 24th - 27th June. Delft, the Netherlands
- La Paix, L. and Geurs, K (2014). Impacts of accessibility impedances on network modelling: a National Transport Model for the Dutch case. Accessibility and Policy Making, Workshop. Seville, Feb. 7th - 8th 2014
- La Paix, Lissy; Monzón, Andrés; Cherchi, Elisabetta and Loro, Manuel.(2013) Residential self-selection and geographical scales in trip frequency. 13th World Conference of Transport Research, WCTR, July 15-18, 2013 – Río, Brazil.
- La Paix, L. and Geurs, K. Bicycle accessibility and access mode choice to railway stations in the Netherlands Randstad Southwing. NECTAR 2013 International Conference on “Dynamics of Global and Local Networks”. 16‐18 June 2013, St. Miguel, Azores Islands (Portugal).
- La Paix, L. and Geurs, Karst. Modeling perceived accessibility on cycling to railway stations in the Netherlands Randstad Southwing. 13th World Conference of Transport Research, WCTR, July 15-18, 2010 – Río, Brazil.
- La Paix, L., Monzón, A. & Cherchi, E. Land – use characteristics and trip frequency: improvements on Madrid urban planning. VIII Conference of Transport Engineering (CIT), Granada, Spain, June 20-22, 2012.
- La Paix, L., Monzón, A. & Cherchi, E. Modelling the relationship between urban environment and travel behaviour: policy and indicators. mobil.TUM 2012 - International Scientific Conference on Mobility and Transport.. Munich 19-20 march 2012. Available in: http://www.mobil-tum2012.de/index.php/proceedings
- La Paix, L., Bierlaire, M., Cherchi, E. & Monzón, A., How urban environment affects travel behaviour? Integrated Choice and Latent Variable Model for Travel Schedules. Proceedings of International Choice Modelling Conference, Leeds, U.K., 4-6 July 2011.
- La Paix, L., Monzón, A. & Cherchi, E. (2010) Location effects and Trip generation: evidence from Madrid Metropolitan Area. Proceedings of XII World Conference on Transport Research, Lisbon, Portugal, July 11-15, 2010.
- La Paix, L., Monzón, A. & Cherchi, E. (2010) Relación entre la generación de viajes y la densidad urbana: caracterización de la movilidad con modelos probit ordenados. XVI Pan-American Conference on Traffic and Transportation Engineering. Lisbon, Portugal, July 15-18, 2010.
- La Paix, L., & López-Lambas, M. (2010) A multi-criteria method for evaluating transports research projects. XII World Conference on Transport Research. Lisbon, Portugal, July 11-15, 2010.
- La Paix, L. & López-Lambas, M. (2010) Desarrollo de una metodología multicriterio para la evaluación de la investigación en el transporte. Proceedings of XVI Pan-American Conference on Traffic and Transportation Engineering. Lisbon, Portugal, July 15-18, 2010.
- La Paix, L. (2010). Relación entre la generación de viajes y la densidad urbana: caracterización de la movilidad con modelos probit ordenados. VII Conference of Transport Engineering (CIT), Madrid, Spain, July 7- 9, 2010.
- La Paix, L., Ruiz, T. & Monzón, A. (2009) Time use substitution between activities. Time Use Observatory Workshop. Santiago, Chile, January 6-8, 2009.
- Monzón, A.; La Paix, L. and Rondinella, G. (2008) Potential use of bicycle in the university city of Madrid. II International Congress: Citizens and Mobility Management. Madrid, Spain. Sept 29 – Oct 1st 2008. M-41995-2008
- López-Lambas, M.; La Paix, L. (2008). Mobility Urban Transport Plans: European Perspective. II International Congress: Citizens and Mobility Management. Madrid, Spain, Sept 29 – Oct 1st 2008. ISBN M-41995-2008
- La Paix, L.; López-Lambas, M. (2008). Methodological Proposal for Assessment of Sustainable Mobility Plans. VII Conference of Transport Engineering (CIT), Madrid, Spain, July 2- 4, 2008. . I.S.B.N. 978-84-380-0394-7
- Tuominen, A., Järvi, T., Hyytinen, K., Mitsakis, E., Lopez-Lambas, ME., La Paix, L., Waard J.vd, Binsted, A., and Sitov, N., 2011 Evaluating the achievements and impacts of EC framework programme transport projects. European Transport Research Review (ETRR). DOI 10.1007/s12544-011-0048-3. SSN: 1866-8887
- Monzón, A., La Paix, L., Delgado, M. & Fernández, A., 2008. Influencia de la localización en los patrones de movilidad metropolitana; Análisis comparado según tipología de encuesta. Estudios de Construcción y Transportes. Ministry of Public Works, Spain.
AUTHORSHIP PhD Thesis
La Paix Puello, L., 2012. Modelling the impact of built environment, geographical scales and latent constructs on individual travel behaviour. The case study of Madrid. http://oa.upm.es/10717/2/04_2012_LISSY_LA_PAIX_PUELLO_1.pdf
Referee journals and conferences
- European Transport Research Review (ETRR)
- European Transport Infrastructure Research (EJTIR)
- Journal of Transport Geography
- World Conference of Transport Research (WCTR)
Seminars upon invitation
- Technical University of Munich, June 2016.
- Transport modelling, land-use transport interaction. INTEC, Santo Domingo Technical Institute, Dominican Republic, 2013
- Transport Research Centre, TRANSyT, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid., April 2011
- Transport and Mobility Laboratory, Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale (EPFL), Transport and Mobility Laboratory. November 2010