To do an exchange semester at a partner university you can follow the guidelines below.

1. Orientation

The first step is to find out when and where you want to do part of your studies abroad. The faculty of Engineering Technology offers several opportunities:

2. Requirements & Selection of Courses


First of all, you need to be enrolled as a regular UT student and pay UT tuition fee. Below you will find the specific requirements.

To be able to study abroad as part of your minor, you have to meet the requirements of the minor. Please see the OER of your programme for these requirements. You can find the programme specific OER for each programme in the Study Abroad Manual

To be able to study abroad during your master you need to contact your track coordinator to see if you get permission to follow courses abroad. 


Carefully select the courses that you would like to follow at the partner institution. Make sure that the partner institution of your choice offers a sufficient amount of suitable courses needed for your study programme. It is your own responsibility to find and select these courses. Below you will find some guidelines for course approval:

  • Select courses at your host university that have no overlap with the courses from your UT study program.
  • You may select up till a maximum of 5 EC language and cultural courses related to the host country. For example if you are in Spain, you can select a course of Spanish of 5 EC, but you cannot do a course of Italian. 
  • You may select up till a maximum of 5 EC first year bachelor courses.  Check the language of instruction. 
  • Check the academic calendar and whether the course is taught in the semester that you will be at the host university.
  • Pay attention to the knowledge requirements for the courses you select.
  • Check if the course is available for exchange students. Please be aware that universities may have additional requirements / prerequisites.

For more information and guidelines read the Study Abroad Manual. If you have any questions regarding the selection of courses, please contact your study adviser or track coordinator.

3. Application

To apply for an exchange semester, you need to fill in the application form before the 1st of February 2017. You can apply by registering in Mobility Online. You are able to choose 6 preferences of partner universities. It is advisable to choose at least 3 preferences of partner universities. In order to orientate yourself you have to make & hand in a preliminary course list with hyperlinks for each university.

Application Deadlines

  • Fall semester: 1st of February
  • Spring semester: To be announced
4. Selection

If there are more students interested to go to a certain partner university than places available at this partner, a random selection will take place based upon academic performance. In order to conduct a fair selection procedure, we will first divide all students into four groups based on their achievements and grades so far. Please see the Study Abroad Manual for the details of the selection procedure. Below you will find the dates of the outcome of the selection. 

Dates selection

  • UT Wide selection: End of February
  • Faculty partners: 15th of March
5. Application to the partner university

After you have received a nomination e-mail of your faculty contact person you can fill out the application forms of the partner university. Please read the Study Abroad Manual for all the steps that you have to take.

6. Preparation


In most cases the partner university is willing to help you find accommodation. Most often these rooms are furnished to some extent. Therefore the costs of the accommodation might be somewhat higher than your current rent. However, it is your own responsibility that housing is arranged.


You have to arrange your own health insurance. You can choose to extend your current health insurance to include European/worldwide coverage (depending on your destination). The UT has entered into a liability and travel insurance for all its students and employees. This insurance is for free, you can apply through this link. A few days after your application the insurance policy will be send to your home address. Keep in mind that the UT travel insurance is only valid for the duration of your study-related stay abroad.


The UT has an online system that is designed to keep track of the students, in case of an emergency. You are obliged to register your stay in Mobility Online and in the UT International Registration, you can find a link to these systems on by clicking here. When you apply for the UT-insurance you will be automatically registered in the UT International Registration system. If you do not apply for this insurance, please make sure that you do register your stay abroad.


Before departure, check whether you need vaccinations or other medical preparations for your stay abroad. Contact your family doctor or the GGD (the Dutch health service with centres across the Netherlands) for information. Moreover, if needed, make sure that you take sufficient medications with you to cover your stay abroad. When choosing a destination, keep the official travel advice in mind. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs publishes an overview of all recent official travel recommendations. The UT does not allow you to travel to a destination with a ‘negative’ travel advice.


Depending on your destination, you might need to arrange a visa, this is your own responsibility. Explore how to apply for a visa and which documents are needed and which institutions you need to contact (e.g. the embassy or consulate of the country of your destination). Apply for a visa in time. Besides this, make sure that your travel document (ID-card or passport) is valid for at least three months after your planned arrival to the Netherlands.


Make sure that you have enough financial resources to pay for your travels and stay abroad. Consult your bank on how to most easily and inexpensively access your money while being abroad. In most cases, a debit card (‘bankpas') with PIN-code will be sufficient, in some cases you need to activate your debit card to be able to pay abroad or you might even need a credit card. 


You can apply for a scholarship (Erasmus+ or TMF) after you are officially accepted by the partner university. More information can be found on this website.

Ambassador scholarship

In addition to the above mentioned scholarships, you can apply for a student ambassador scholarship. For more information click here

Public transport card (OV / 'Studentenreisproduct')

As you cannot make use of your public transport card (OV / ‘Studentenreisproduct) you can choose to convert your public transport card into a financial compensation during your stay abroad. For more information and to apply check the DUO website. If you need a signature on an application form, please pass by with a print out of the document; we will not print, copy or scan any documents for you. Also, make sure that you fill in the exact dates that you are out of the country for educational purposes; the university will not sign for holiday related stays abroad.