If you are interested in a placement (could also be called: traineeship, internship, reseach assignment, thesis work, thesis assignment, ...) during (part of) your exchange periode, then please read the following:

Placement in a company

Placement only:

If you want to come to the Netherlands for a placement in a company only, note that we do not offer support for this.

Placement in combination with courses:

If you are selected for an exchange semester or full year in our faculty, then it might be possible to include a placement in a company into your exchange period. Do note that you will still have to organise this yourself, in the same way as our regular students have to do! We can support you with information on companies (programmes ME and SET only) and finding a UT supervisor to assess your internship, but you will have to apply yourself, follow the procedures like all our regular students have to, as well as possibly organising a move to a different town, if applicable.

Placement in a research group (research assignment)

Placement only

If you want to come to the Netherlands for a placement in one of our research groups only, you will first have to find a group and a supervisor within our faculty. Check out the research pages of the faculty, find a contact person in that group and send him/her a request by email including your CV (curriculum vitae), ToR (transcript of records) and LoM (letter of motivation). Do include in the LoM what you are planning to do: to apply for a placement only, or for a combination of courses and a placement (see also below). 
Only after you have received a positive response from your contact in the research group, you can apply through here. Note that acceptance by one of the research staff members does not automatically means that your are accepted for a placement at our university. Acceptance also depends on your nationality (do you need a visa or not, does the university need a working permit for you or not, etc.), the time duration you want to come and the fact if we do or do not have an agreement with your home university. It is not possible to inform you on forehand (= before applying) about the outcome of this administrative part of the assessment. If you would like more information about this administrative aspect, please contact

Placement in combination with courses

If you are selected for an exchange semester or full year in our faculty, you are free to include a placement in a research group into your exchange period. In this case it would basically be doing some self-study and/or an assignment, which could be labelled as ‘capita selecta’. Find in the course catalogue the capita selecta course of the field you’re interested in. In the information regarding the course you will find the name of the member of staff who is the contact person for this capita selecta course. Contact this member of staff to find out what the possibilities are for doing such capita selecta assignment as an exchange student. In the course catalogue the number of ECTS credits is stated as ‘5’, but in practice many research chairs give the opportunity of doing an assignment for up to 20 EC. Since you would be doing courses as well, you can contact a research group once you 're already here, you do not have to do this before coming over. Of course, there is always the risk that there isn't anything available, so it might be a good idea to contact the aforementioned member of staff befóre applying for the exchange semester. See the paragraph above ('Placement only') on how to apply in advance  and what documents you should attach to your request.

Do note that the easiest way for the 'placement+courses'-option is to choose the ESP "Fluids & Heat engineering" (Spring semester; ME students only)!