Disciplines within the Faculty of Engineering Technology

The Faculty of Engineering Technology comprises four engineering disciplines: industrial design engineering, civil engineering, mechanical engineering and sustainable energy. These four disciplines are covered in our three BSc programmes and five MSc programmes. All programmes (BSc and MSc) are taught in English.

General information about 'academic year' and 'nominal study load'.

All information on "academic year / semesters / blocks" and "nominal study workload" can now be found via, section "Educational system".

Course selection

Exchange study packages

To make choosing your courses (and the admission process) easier, the UT offers so-called Exchange Study Packages (ESP). These ESPs are balanced, coherent, well-structured and self-contained sets of courses at BSc or MSc academic level. Most of the ESPs are composed for one semester (30 ECTS), some of the ESPs are composed for one block only (15 ECTS). Please find below the ESPs the Faculty of ET is offering to incoming exchange students in the abovementioned four disciplines. Note that once your coordinator at home has nominated you in our nomination & application system 'Mobility-Online', you will have to create an account in this system and you will be able to see for which study field (s)he has nominated you for. 

Do note that selecting courses which are offered by other faculties will delay the assessment procedure, since multiple assessors will be involved.

Bachelor modules
In addition to the information given via the abovementioned four webpages: each module consists of several parts. Those parts are called 'study unit' and for each 'study unit' you will receive a mark. Although this seems similar as a regular 'course', such as the courses of the MSc programmes, they are not exactly the same. You cannot pick and match 'study units' from different modules. All 'study units' of one module belong together, so you have to choose complete modules. In the course catalogue you can find both the information of the module (usually indicating '0' ECTS credits), as well as the information of the 'study units'. The sum of all 'study units' of one module will be equivalent to 15 ECTS credits. You can access the course catalogue via the module codes on the abovementioned four webpages.

Searching for courses in the course catalogue (MSc exchange students only)

In addition to the information given via the abovementioned four webpages, an extra comment on the use of the course catalogue:  in this catalogue you can search for courses in different ways, e.g. by the 'starting block', the organising faculty, the organising study (= 'educational programme'), the participating study (= 'educational programme') and/or the responsible lecturer. The course catalogue has one disadvantage: specific course information might not be available yet. For example: In September (block 1A) you might not find information about a specific course in block 2B for the same academic year. In that case, please select the previous academic year. The information given is very likely to be accurate but cannot be garanteed, so a back up plan would be useful. 
In the course catalogue, the block in which the course starts is indicated with 'Starting block'. Some courses can be started any time of the year, and usually do not include any lecturing. For these courses the 'Starting block' is "YEAR". 

Research assignment

If you are interested in a research assignment (traineeshipinternshipplacement, research projectthesis workthesis assignment, ...) during (part of) your exchange periode, then please read the following information carefully.


Although in the sections below the word 'placement' is used, the activity itself could be labelled many things, as you might have guessed from the sentence above. 
For an assignment in a company, we usually use the term 'placement' or 'internship', but our regular students are also going to a company as part of their thesis work. If you would be able to do such assignment in the context of an exchange programme, then it is up to your home university if they accept (the results of) such assignment as a placement or as thesis work.
For an assignment in a research group, we usually use the term 'research assignment'. In general such assignments will be registered as a 'capita selecta' course (for Msc exchange students) or "201800519 Research assignment for exchange students" (for BSc exchange students). However, if (the results of) such assignment is used in your home university as 'internship', 'course assignment', 'thesis work', 'graduation work', or something else, that is completely up to you and your home university.

If you are already nominated by your home university for an exchange semester, you do not have to be nominated seperately for a research assignment; this can be included in your Learning Agreement. If you are not nominated yet, then click on the button below. However, befóre you move on to the application procedure, please read the following two documents concerning doing a research assignment specifically within the Faculty of Engineering Technology: