Room: Horstring N-112.
Telephone: 053 489 6324
Professor, Chair of Skin Tribology, Laboratory for Surface Technology and Tribology, Faculty of Engineering Technology, University of Twente
Awards and honours
- Chinese Academy of Sciences, President’s International Fellowship 2016/17
- National Natural Science Foundation China - Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research, Visiting Scholarship, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, June 2013
- 1999-2002: Dr., Engineering, University of Twente, Enschede.
- 1989-1995: Ir., Mechanical Engineering, University of Twente, Enschede.
- 1983-1989: Atheneum B, Alexander Hegius Scholengemeenschap, Deventer.
- Surface Engineering for Look and Feel 192850870
- Surfaces for Comfort and Touch 201000158
- Active & Tunable Surfaces - C.S 201000160
Keynote and Invited Presentation
- Keynote speaker, Soft-Tribology: Research and Applications, Annual meeting JSME, Sapporo, Japan, September 2015
- Keynote speaker, Soft – Tribology: Research and applications, Japan-the Netherlands Symposium on soft-tribology, Kumamoto, Japan, September 2015
- Invited speaker, Materials for Skin Tribology, 1st Annual World Congress of Advanced Materials, Beijing, China, June 2012.
- Invited speaker, Reducing friction in low velocity sliding contacts involving skin equivalent silicone rubber, 14th Nordic Symposium on Tribology NORDTRIB 2010, Storforsen, Sweden, June 2010.
- Invited speaker, Self Healing Approach in Tribology, High Temperature Tribology Symposium LTU, Luleå, Sweden, December 2009.
- Invited speaker, Introduction to Vacuum Tribology and aspects relevant to fusion reactors, Technical Meeting on Diagnostic Movement in Vacuum, ITER, Cadarache, France, February 2009.
- H.B.M. Lenting, K.J.C. van Bommel, E. van der Heide and A.T. ten Cate, Method for reducing friction, WO 2009/028939, 2009.
Journal Articles 2014/15
- W.J. Hendrikson, X. Zeng, J. Rouwkema, C. A. van Blitterswijk, E. van der Heide and L. Moroni, Biological and Tribological Assessment of Poly(Ethylene Oxide Terephthalate)/Poly(Butylene Terephthalate), Polycaprolactone, and Poly (L\DL) Lactic Acid Plotted Scaffolds for Skeletal Tissue Regeneration, Article first published online: 25 NOV 2015 | DOI: 10.1002/adhm.201500067.
- Z. Li, X. Li, Y. Zhang, T. Ren, Y. Zhao, X. Zeng and E. van der Heide, The tribological performance of a long chain alkyl phenylboric ammonium derivative and its interaction with ZDDP, Proceedings of the IMechE Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, doi: 10.1177/1350650115601879.
- M. Woldman, T. Tinga, E. Van Der Heide and M.A. Masen, Abrasive Wear based Predictive Maintenance for Systems Operating in Sandy Conditions, WEAR, 338 pp. 316 – 324, 2015
- J. Yan, X. Zeng, T. Ren and E. van der Heide, Exploring an alternative aqueous lubrication concept for biomedical applications: hydration lubrication based on O/W emulsions combined with graphene oxide, Biosurface and Biotribology, 1 (2) pp. 113-123, 2015
- M. Morales-Hurtado, X. Zeng, P. Gonzalez-Rodriguez, J.E. Ten Elshof and E. van der Heide, A new water absorbable mechanical epidermal skin equivalent: the combination of hydrophobic PDMS and hydrophilic PVA hydrogel, J Mech Behav Biomed Mat, 46 pp. 305-317, 2015
- H.M. Slot, E.R.M. Gelinck, C. Rentrop and E. van der Heide, Leading edge erosion of coated wind turbine blades: review of coating life models, Renewable Energy, 80 pp. 837-848, 2015.
- J. van Kuilenburg, M.A. Masen and E. van der Heide. A review of fingerpad contact mechanics and friction and how this affects tactile perception. Proceedings of the IMechE Part J: Journal of Engineering Tribology, 229(3) pp. 243–258, 2015
- S. Zhang, A. C. Rodriguez Urribarri, M. Morales Hurtado, X. Zeng and E. van der Heide, The Role of the Sliding Direction against a Grooved Channel Texture on Tool Steel: An Experimental Study on Tactile Friction, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 56-57, pp 53 – 61, 2015
- J. Yan, X. Zeng, T. Ren and E. van der Heide, Boundary lubrication of stainless steel and CoCrMo alloy based on phosphorous and boron compounds in oil-in-water emulsion, Applied Surface Science, 315, pp. 415-424, 2014
- J. Li, X. Zeng, T. Ren and E. van der Heide, The preparation of graphene oxide and its derivatives and their application in bio-tribological systems, Lubricants, 2, pp. 137-161, 2014
- J. Yan, X. Zeng, E. van der Heide, T. Ren and Y. Zhao, The tribological behaviour and tribochemical study of B-N type borate esters in rapeseed oil—compound versus salt, RSC Adv., 4, pp. 20940-20947, 2014
- Eko Saputra, Iwan Budiwan Anwar, Rifky Ismail, J. Jamari and Emile van der Heide, Numerical Simulation of Artificial Hip Joint Movement for Western and Japanese-Style Activities, Jurnal Teknologi (Sciences & Engineering) 66, 3, pp. 53-58, 2014
- Z. Li, X. Li, Y. Zhang, T. Ren, Y. Zhao, X. Zeng and E. van der Heide, Tribological study of a highly hydrolytically stable phenylboronic acid ester containing benzothiazolyl in mineral oil, Applied Surface Science, 308, pp. 91–99, 2014
- J. Yan, X. Zeng, T. Ren and E. van der Heide, Boundary lubrication of stainless steel and CoCrMo alloy materials based on three ester-based additives, Tribology International, 73, pp. 88 – 94, 2014
- J. Li, Z. Li, X. Zeng, T. Ren and E. van der Heide, Hydrolytic stability and tribological properties of N-containing heterocyclic borate esters as lubricant additives in rapeseed oil, Tribology International, 73, pp. 101–107, 2014
- J. Yan, X. Zeng, E. van der Heide and T. Ren, The tribological performance and tribochemical analysis of novel borate esters as lubricant additives in rapeseed oil, Tribology International; 71, pp. 149–157, 2014
PhD thesis and chapters in books
- M. Morales Hurtado, X. Zeng and E. van der Heide, The human skin and hydration in: Y. Nakanishi (ed.), Hydrated Materials: Applications in Biomedicine and Environment, Pan Stanford Publishing Pte. Ltd. Penthouse Level, Suntec Tower , 8 Temasek Boulevard, Singapore, ISBN 9789814463225, 2015
- E. van der Heide and D.J. Schipper, Friction and wear in lubricated sheet metal forming processes in: G.E. Totten (ed.), Handbook of Lubrication and Tribology, Volume I Application and Maintenance, pp.28-1 -- 28-35, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton FL, ISBN 084932095X, 2006.
- E. van der Heide and D.J. Schipper, Tribology of Metal Forming, in: G.E. Totten and H. Liang (eds.), Mechanical Tribology: Materials, Characterization, and Applications, pp. 347 – 374, Marcel Dekker Inc, New York, ISBN 0824748735, 2004.
- E. van der Heide, Lubricant failure in sheet metal forming processes, PhD Thesis, University of Twente, April 2002, ISBN 90-365-1724-9.
Supervised PhD theses 2014/15
- J. Yan, Boundary lubrication of stainless steel and CoCrMo in aqueous systems, PhD Thesis University of Twente, Enschede, ISBN 978-90-365-3758-2, Oct 8, 2014 (with prof. dr. T. Ren / dr. X. Zeng)
- M. Woldman, An experimental and theoretical investigation into three-body abrasive wear, PhD Thesis University of Twente, Enschede, ISBN 978-90-365-3621-9, April 23, 2014 (with prof. dr. ir. T. Tinga / dr. M.A. Masen)
Supervised MSc theses 2014/15
Industrial Design Engineering / Emerging Technology Design
- Martijn Gommeren (with dr. X. Zeng), Acoustic mask for convenient and accurate respiratory monitoring, Aug 25, 2015
- Ruben Kruiper (with R. Wendrich), Enhanced hybrid design tool environment, May 20, 2015.
- Gijs Otten (with dr. X. Zeng), Circulation money: are we stuck on metal coins? A study of new coinage materials, March 18, 2015
- Frank van Maanen, Design of a novel silicone rubber grip material, Feb 10, 2015
- Eilien Knook, Improving the sliding friendliness of artificial turf, Oct 15, 2014