During the lectures on “Dynamics of machines” the use of the SPACAR software will be addressed. In order to benefit from this introduction you should have installed this software before you can use it. The software is split in two parts: A GUI and a Matlab toolbox. The toolbox is needed in any case. The GUI offers a user friendly interface to create models.
This is the installation procedure for the Matlab toolbox:
- Note that this toolbox requires a 32-bit Microsoft Windows installation of Matlab!
It has been tested with releases up to R2010b. Newer versions are not guaranteed to work.
- The current version of the toolbox is the 2012 edition.
- Create a folder, e.g.
or some other folder.
Note: If this folder already exists, you should check that you are using a recent version of the software.
- Download the software and install it by unpacking the zip archive in the spacar folder you created before.
- Start Matlab
- Check with Matlab’s path command whether the spacar folder is already in your path. If not, then you can modify the path for the current Matlab session with:
>> addpath ‘my-spacar-folder’
Or alternative you can change the path permanently with the menu File -> Set Path.
- Create a folder for the examples. Usually such a folder is not in the Matlab folder tree but somewhere in your documents folder.
- Download the examples and unpack the files in your examples folder.
- Change Matlab’s working folder to the examples folder. Now you can study the example files.
- The manual can be read online or downloaded. Note that the 2011 edition of the manual is well suited for the 2012 version of the software.
To install the GUI:
- Download the software.
- Unpack the ZIP file to some folder and run Spacar20.exe.
It has a time-limited license that is usable for the duration of the current course year.