Construction Management & Engineering
University of Twente
Faculty of Engineering Technology
Department of Construction Management & Engineering
P.O. Box 217
7500 AE Enschede
Doctor of Philosophy, Stanford University, 2008
Thesis: Grassroots implementation processes of decision support
systems by project teams
Advisor: Prof. Dr. Martin Fischer, Stanford University
M. Sc., Computational Mechanics, Technical University Munich
Thesis: Integration of a Three Dimensional CAD Environment into
an Interactive Workspace
Advisor: Prof. Dr. Ernst Rank, TU Munich
Dipl.-Ing. Univ., Civil Engineering, Technical University Munich
Thesis: Product models based energy simulation of buildings
Advisor: Prof. Dr. Ernst Rank, TU Munich
Associate Professor, University of Twente
Assistant Professor, University of Twente
Research Assistant, Center for Integrated Facility Engineering, Stanford University
BIM Consultant Parsons Brinckerhoff, New York
BIM Consultant for Turner Construction, USA
BIM Consultant Parsons Brinckerhoff, New York
Software Designer, Sofistik AG Nuernberg, Germany
Research Assistant, Technical University Munich, Chair for IT in Design and Construction
- Journal of Construction Engineering and Management – Outstanding Reviewer 2012
- IGS Best Ph.D. Student paper award 2012. Together with my Ph.D. student Frederick van Amstel.
- Journal of Construction Engineering and Management – Outstanding Reviewer 2011
- Best paper award CIB w096 2011 - Architectural Management in the Digital Arena, Vienna, Austria. Together with my Ph.D. Student Vedran Zerjav.
- Journal of Construction Engineering and Management – Outstanding Reviewer 2010
1. Development of a BIM based tunnel construction and maintainace decision support system. 180 000 EUR. Project Start: January 2013. Fully funded 2 year Pd.Eng. Project by Rijkswaterstaat.
2. Using Construction IT to Streamline Subsurface Utility Reconstruction Projects in Densely Populated Areas. Funded by Stichting Pioneering, executed by a consortium of ca. 8 municipalities and the University of twente. Project Start: August 2012. Fully funded four year Ph.D. Project
3. Governance and finance of multi-functional flood defenses: Financial integrated forecasting models to support the decision making process around to be developed policy arrangements, EUR 193,000. Project Start: October 2011. Funded by STW, The Netherlands, Fully funded Ph.D. Project
4. Scenario based serious gaming voor het ontwerpen van Extramuraal Diagnostisch Centrum (scenario based design of patient outcare centers), 288,231 EUR. Project Start: September, 2011. Funded by Provincie Overijssel, Fully funded 2 year Post.Doc. project.
5. Serious Gaming to Enable Participatory Design in Health Care. Start of project: April 2011. Partly funded Ph.D. Project. Funded by the institute for biomedical technology and technical medicine (MIRA) of the Twente University
6. BIM Werkplaats, Stichting Pioneering, Developing best practice guidelines in collaboration with the Twente construction industry, EUR 250,000. Funded by Stichting Pioneering, executed by a consortium of ca. 8 companies and the Saxion university of applied science.. Project Start: January 2011. Funding allocated for the Twente University: ca. 50, 000 EUR
7. REVITAPLAN Developing a Toolkit to support municipalities with revitalization planning, 1,300,000 EUR. project executed in a consortium of 5 companies and one other university. Funding allocated for the Twente University: ca. 400, 000 EUR. Start of project: January 2011. Funded by Interreg IVa,
8. The Asphalt Paving Process from an Operational Perspective. project executed by the ASPARi consortium of the main asphalt paving contractors in the Netherlands. Project Start: August 2010. Fully funded four year Ph.D. Project.
9. CIFE seed funding, 2006-2007, $41,144. Research Project: Network Analysis of Project Teams to Understand and Enhance Diffusion of New Technologies. Principal Advisor: Martin Fischer.
10. CIFE Fellowship with Turner Construction, 2005, $40,000. Research Project: Establishing Guidelines to Support 3D Model Based MEP Coordination
11. CIFE Fellowship with Parsons Brinckerhoff, 2004, $75,000. Research Project: Implement 3D/4D model applications of a large infrastructure project in New York City
12. DFG Research Travel Grant, 2004, $3,000. Research Project: Conference Trip to the INCITE 2004 in Malaysia
- Bachelor Class 'Methods and Strategies for Facility Design'
- Master Class 'Integrated Global Project Management'
- Bachelor Module Coordinator 'Sustainable Civil Engineering'
- Supervision of Ph.D., Master, and Bachelor Projects
1. American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Executive Committee Member Technical Council on Computing and Information Technology
2. American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Visualization, Information Modeling and Simulation Committee Member
3. American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Construction Research Counsel Member
4. European Group for Intelligent Computing (eg-ice) Committee Member
5. Engineering Project Organization Society (EPOS) Young Member Coordinator Europe
6. Editor Organizational Issues: Journal of Construction Engineering and Management
7. Editorial Board Member: Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering
8. Editorial Advisory Board Member: Journal of Information Technology in Construction (ITCON)
9. Editorial Advisory Board Member: Open Construction & Building Technology Journal
10. Editorial Board Member: International Journal of 3-D Information Modeling.
11. Organizing Chair of the 2010 eg-ice workshop at the Twente University
12. Special Issue Editor Advanced Engineering Informatics: Selected papers from the 2010 eg-ice workshop
13. Reviewer for Engineering Project Organizations Journal, Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, Engineering Patent Review, Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Automation in Construction, Advanced Engineering Informatics, Engineering Structures, Asia Pacific Management Review, Construction Management and Economics, Computers in Industry, Journal of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, and the Journal of Civil Engineering and Management.
14. Scientific and Technical Committee Memberships: 2013 eg-ice workshop (Scientific Committee), 2013 Conference of the European Urban research Association (Track Chair: Designing Cities of the Future: Towards Smart, Safe & Livable Cities), 2013 ASCE International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering (Technical Committee, Track Organizer: European Advances in Intelligent Computing), 2012 Winter Simulation Conference (Track Organizer: Construction Applications), 2012 eg-ice workshop, 2012 ICCCBE Conference (Track Organizer: eg-ice Special Track), 2012 ASCE International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering (Track Organizer: Computer Science Fundamentals of Building Information Modeling), 2012 Engineering Project Organization Conference, 2012 Construction Research Congress,11th International Conference on Construction Applications of Virtual Reality, CIB w78 Workshop IT in Construction 2010, 2010 ASCE Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering,
Chapters in Books
1. Javernick-Will, A. & Hartmann, T. (2011). Knowledge management in global environments. In Paul.S. Chinowsky & Anthony.D. Songer (Eds.), Organization management in construction (pp. 23-40). New York, USA: Taylor & Francis (ISBN 978-0-415-57257-6).
2. Hartmann T (2010). Developing Context Sensitive BIM Based Applications. In J. Underwood and U. Iskidag. Handbook of Research on Building Information Modeling and Construction Informatics: Concepts and Technologies. Chapter is Accepted by the Editors for Publication.
3. Hartmann T and Hartmann N. (2009). A Theoretical and Practical Assessment of Open Source Development and Dissemination of Construction IT Solutions. In: Dikbas A., Ergen E., and Giritli H. (Eds.) Managing IT in Construction / Managing Construction for Tomorrow. CRC Press.
Refereed Journal Papers
1. Hartmann T. (2012). Advances in architectural, engineering and construction informatics. Advanced Engineering Informatics 23(4).
2. Hartmann T., Meerveld, van H., Vossebeld N., and Adriaanse A. (2012). Aligning Building Information Model Tools and Construction Management Methods. Automation in Construction 22:605.
3. Zerjav, V, Hartmann, T. & Javernick-Will, A. (2012). Internal governance of design and engineering: the case of the multinational firm. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management 138(1).
4. Hartmann T. (2011). Goal and Process Alignment during the Implementation of Decision Support Systems by Project Teams. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management 137(12): 1134.
5. Miller S. and T. Hartmann (2011). Measuring and Visualizing Hot Mix Asphalt Concrete Paving Operations. Automation in Construction 20(4): 474.
6. Peterson F., T. Hartmann, R. Fruchter, and M. Fischer (2011). Teaching Construction Project Management with BIM Support: Experience and Lessons Learned. Automation in Construction 20(2): 115.
7. Hartmann T., J. Gao, and M. Fischer (2010). Closure of “Areas of application of 3D and 4D models on construction projects.” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management 136(8): 932.
8. Hartmann T. and R. Levitt (2010). Understanding and Managing 3D/4D Model Implementations at the Project Team Level. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 136(7), 757-767.
9. Hartmann T., M. Fischer (2009). A Process View on End User Resistance During Construction IT Implementations. ITCON Vol. 14: 353-365, Special Issue: Next Generation Construction IT: Technology Foresight, Future Studies, Roadmapping, and Scenario Planning.
10. Hartmann T., M. Fischer, and J. Haymaker (2009). Implementing Information Systems with Project Teams Using Ethnographic-Action Research. Advanced Engineering Informatics 23(1):57-67.
11. Hartmann T., J. Gao, and M. Fischer (2008). Areas of application of 3D and 4D models on construction projects. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management 134(10): 776-785.
12. Hartmann, T. and M. Fischer (2007). Supporting the Constructability Review with 3D/4D Models. Building Research & Information 35(1): 70-80.
13. Schreyer M., Hartmann T., and M. Fischer (2005). Supporting Project Meetings with Concurrent Interoperability in a Construction Information Workspace. ITCON Vol. 10: 153-167
Refereed Conference Papers
1. Zerjav, V., Hartmann, T. and Achammer, C. (2011). Conceptualizing Design Management for Construction Projects: Bridging the Gaps between Urban Planning, Architectural, and Engineering Design. CIB w096 2011 - Architectural Management in the Digital Arena, Vienna, Austria. International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction (CIB). – Paper won the best paper award of the conference.
2. Zerjav, V., and Hartmann, T. (2011). Dynamics of Complexity in Project Organizing: Evidence from Construction Infrastructure Design. EURAM 2011 Conference - Management Culture in the 21st Century, Tallinn, Estonia. European Academy of Management.
3. Zerjav, V., Hartmann, T. and Boes, H. (2011). The Management of Requirements in Supply Chains of Construction Design: What Causes Uncertainty in Integrated Design Approaches. MISBE2011 - Proceedings of the international Conference on Management and Innovation for a Sustainable Built Environment, Amsterdam. International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction (CIB).
4. Ramalingam, S., Mahalingam, A. & Hartmann, T. (2011). Impact of communication technology on virtual team process and project performance in offshored engineering projects. In T.M. Toole (Ed.), Working paper series, proceedings of the engineering project organizations conference (EPOC), August 9 - 11, 2011, Estes Park, Colorado (pp. 1-25). Estes Park, Colorado: University of Colorado.
5. Hartmann, T. (2011). Evolutionary software development to support ethnographic action research. In Y Zhu & R.R. Issa (Eds.), Proceedings of the 2011 ASCE international workshop on computing in civil engineering (pp. 282-290). Reston, Virginia, United States: American society of civil engineers (ISBN 978-0-7844-1182-7). Available from: http://link.aip.org/link/?ASC/416/35 [08-11-2011].
6. Hartmann, T. (2011). Sensemaking during technology implementations by project teams. In A. Jrade (Ed.), Proceedings of the 3rd international / 9th construction specialty conference, June 14-17, 2011, Ottawa, Ontario (pp. CN-130-1-CN-130-11). Montreal, Canada: Canadian Society for Civil Engineering (CSCE) (ISBN 978-1-894662-18-5). Available from: 2011 Canadian Society for Civil Engineering (CSCE), Montreal, Canada (ISBN 978-1-894662-18-5) [07-01-2011].
7. Hartmann, T. (2010). Detecting design conflicts using building information models: a comparative lab experiment. In 27th international conference - applications of IT in the AEC industry & accelerating BIM research workshop, 16 - 19 November 2010, Cairo, Egypt.
8. Hartmann, T. & Doree, A. G. (2010). The wise project manager - a practice based re-conceptualization of the notion of project management , on-line. In J.E. Taylor & P. Chinowsky (Eds.), Engineering project organizations conference (EPOS), November 4-7, 2010 South Lake Tahoe, Califormia. South Lake Tahoe, CA: EPOS. Available from: http://academiceventplanner.com/EPOC2010/authors.htm [12-01-2010].
9. Zerjav, V & Hartmann, T. (2010). Integrating engineering design through temporal coordination, on-line. In J.E. Taylor & P. Chinowsky (Eds.), Engineering project organizations conference (EPOS), November 4-7, 2010 South Lake Tahoe, Califormia. South Lake Tahoe, CA: EPOS. Available from: http://academiceventplanner.com/EPOC2010/authors.htm [12-01-2010].
10. Hartmann, T. (2010). Exploring the influence of media richness on engineering task performance and user perceptions. In K. Menzel & R. Scherer (Eds.), Proceedings of the european conference on product and process modelling 2010, ework and ebusiness in architecture, engineering and construction, Cork, Ireland, 14 - 16 September 2010 (pp. 243-249). London, UK: Taylor & Francis Group (ISBN 978-0-415-60507-6).
11. Hartmann T., olde Scholtenhuis L. (2010). Comparing Structure-Based and Function-Based User Interfaces for Traffic Simulation. In Proceedings of the eg-ice Workshop 2010, Nottingham, UK
12. Meijers S., T. Hartmann, G. Dewulf (2010). Conflict Management in Concurrent Engineering, A Case Study. In Proceedings of the 2010 CRC Congress, Banff, Canada.
13. Olde Scholtenhuis, L., Hartmann T. & Bonenberg B. (2010) Visualizing and Simulating Inner City Construction Work to Support Multi-Stakeholder Meetings. In Proceedings of the CIB World Congress 2010, May 10-13, Salford Quays, UK.
14. Hartmann T. (2010). Simulation to Support Pragmatic Facility Design Inquiries. In Proceedings of the 2010 Construction Matters Conference, May 2010, Copenhagen Business School.
15. Dewulf, G. P. M. R., Bree, T. A. de & Hartmann, T. (2009). Learning within and from innovative project deliveries. In Proceedings of the ASCE LEAD Speciality Conference Global Governance in Project Organizations, 5 - 7 November 2009, South Lake Tahoe, California.
16. Hartmann, T. & Fischer, M. . (2009). An ethnographic method to collect input data for formal social network analyses of project teams. In Proceedings of the ASCE LEAD Speciality Conference Global Governance in Project Organizations, 5 - 7 November 2009, South Lake Tahoe, California.
17. Hartmann, T. & Pyykko, E. (2009). Collaborative global project management in second life: Lessons learned and future research directions. In Proceedings of the Student mobility and ICT: dimensions of transition Conference, 16 and 17 december 2009, Amsterdam, the Netherlands..
18. Vossebeld, N. & Hartmann, T. (2009). A case study on using 4D modeling for risk visualization. In Proceedings of the CIB conference changing roles, 5 - 9 october 2009, Noordwijk aan Zee, The Netherlands.
19. Hartmann T., Miller S., and A. Doree (2009). Specifying the pragmatic roots of action research. Presented on the 2009 EGOS Colloquium in Barcelona, Spain.
20. Miller S., T. Hartmann, and A. Doree (2009). AsphaltOpen – An Interactive Visualization Tool for Asphalt Concrete Paving Operations. Published in the Proceedings of the 2009 ASCE International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering, Austin, Texas, USA.
21. Hartmann T. and S. Johnson (2009). A Pragmatic Approach to Develop Financial IT Systems for Small Construction Companies. Published in the Proceedings of the 2009 ASCE International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering, Austin, Texas, USA.
22. Hartmann T., F. Neuberg, and M. Fischer (2007). Integrating Three Dimensional Product Models into Engineering and Construction Project Information Platforms. Published in the Proceedings of the 24th W78 Conference, Maribor, Slovenia, June 26-29, 2007, 55-60.
23. Hartmann T. and M. Fischer (2007). Virtual Design and Construction: Preventive Innovation or Construction Management Planning Aid. Electronic proceedings of the 2007 ASCE Construction Research Congress, Grand Bahama Island, May 6-8, 2007
24. Hartmann T., J. Gao, and M. Fischer (2006). An analytical Model to Evaluate and Compare 3D Modeling Productivity on Construction Projects. Electronic Proceedings of the ICCBE XI, Montreal, Canada, p. 112 (in abstract book)
25. Fischer M., T. Hartmann, E. Rank, and F. Neuberg (2004). Combining Different Project Modeling Approaches for Effective Support of Multi-Disciplinary Engineering Tasks. Proceedings of the World IT Construction Conference, Langkawi, Malaysia, 167-182
26. Neuberg F., and T. Hartmann (2002). Produktmodelle als Grundlage fuer die Integration einer energetischen Simuationsumgebung fuer Gebaude. Proceedings of the 14. Forum fuer Bauinformatik, Bochum, Germany
Technical Reports and Working Papers
1. Hartmann T. (2009). Master Class Integrated Project Management – Software Report. VISICO Working Paper #5. Enschede, The Netherlands.
2. Hartmann T. and M. Fischer (2007). Applications of BIM and Hurdles for Widespread Adoption of BIM - 2007 AISC-ACCL eConstruction Roundtable Event Report. CIFE Working Paper #105. Stanford, CA
3. Khanzode, A., T. Hartmann, M. Fischer, D. Reed, and J. Mack (2006). Guidelines to Perform MEP/FP Coordination using Virtual Design and Construction (3D/4D) Tools. CIFE Working Paper #102. Stanford, CA.
4. Hartmann T. (2006). How to Set Up and Manage a 3D/4D Modeling Project. Technical Paper. Parsons Brinckerhoff Technology Innovation Group.
5. Hartmann T. (2006). How to Present a 3D Model in Navisworks. Technical Paper. Parsons Brinckerhoff Technology Innovation Group.
6. Hartmann T. (2006). How to Link and Present a 4D Model Using Navisworks. Technical Paper. Parsons Brinckerhoff Technology Innovation Group.
7. Hartmann, T., B. Goodrich, M. Fischer, and D. Eberhard (2005). Fulton Street Transit Center Project: 3D/4D Model Application Report. Technical Paper. Parsons Brinckerhoff Technology Innovation Group (also published as CIFE Technical Report #170).
8. Hartmann T., M. Fischer, E. Rank, M. Schreyer, and F. Neuberg (2003). Integration of a Three Dimensional CAD Environment into an Interactive Workspace. CIFE Technical Report #146. Stanford, CA
9. Schreyer M., T. Hartmann, M. Fischer, and J. Kunz (2002). CIFE iRoom XT Design and Use. CIFE Technical Report #144. Stanford, CA
1. Guest lecture at the Center for Health-care Operations, University of Twente. Visualization and Simulation for Health Facility Design. June 2012
2. Guest lecture at the Technical University Vienna: The VISICO Quest - Can we combine “soft” engineering decision making processes and “hard” engineering decision support systems? January 2012.
3. Guest lecture at IIT Madras, India: VISICO Research, Philosophy, Projects, and Scientific Value. December 2011.
4. Guest lecture at the Saxion University of Applied Science Enschede: Recent Developments in Building Information Modeling. September 2011.
5. Talk at the Bouw ICT Beurse (Construction IT Trade Show) Utrecht: BIM Onderzoek Highlights (BIM Research Highlights). February 2011.
6. Guest lecture at the Saxion University of Applied Science Enschede: Recent Developments in Building Information Modeling. September 2010.
PATENTS AND PATENT APPLICATIONS
1. European Union Patent Application 12169276.8 – 2303 “Real time method for automated prediction of internal layer temperature of paving material during paving operations,” A. N. Vasenev, T. Hartmann, A. G. Doree, filed May 24, 2012.