November, 11 / 2011
Frederick is a PhD researcher at the University of Twente. His research is currently focused on Participatory Design for healthcare facilities. Before coming to Netherlands, he cofounded Faber-Ludens Institute for Interaction Design, a Bra-zilian non-profit that offers a graduate course, open information resources and community tools. He lectured in many Brazilian universities and worked as a design consultant for clients such as Electrolux, Rede Globo, Duty Free Dufry and other companies. Frederick has a Bachelor in Social Communication and a Master degree in Science, Technology and Society.
- Frederick Marinus Constant van Amstel, 28 years, Brazilian.
- Weblog and portfolio (English): http://www.fredvanamstel.com
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/fredvanamstel
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/usabilidoido
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: +31 0620153748 / Skype: famstel
- Portuguese: mother tongue.
- English: fluent reading, writing and speaking. (IELTS 7.0)
- Spanish: fluent reading, medium writing and speaking skills.
- Dutch: minimum skills.
- Graphic design tools (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator): advanced level
- Movie editing (iMovie, Adobe Premiere): medium level
- Website design (Adobe Flash, Dreamweaver): advanced level
- Hardware prototyping (Arduino, Lego Mindstorms): basic level
- Latin-America Cultural Studies (Jesús Martin-Barbero)
- Activity Theory (Clay Spinuzzi)
- Post-phenomenology (Peter Paul Verbeek)
- Semiotic Engineering (Clarisse Sieckenius de Souza)
- Cultural Probes
- Usability Testing
- Participatory Workshop
- 2011 – actual – PhD Researcher at University of Twente.
- 2010 – Invited professor at graduate course on Interior Design. Sustentare Business School. Activies: teaching (Ergo-nomics and Usability).
- 2009-2010 – Invited professor at graduate course on Web Development. UEM. Activies: teaching (Interaction Design).
- 2008 - Consultant for a governmental technological incubator. Celta – SEBRAE. Activities: introduce Interaction Design to small companies, working to develop design skills, mentoring.
- 2007-2011 – Academic coordinator and professor at Faber-Ludens Institute. Activities: establishing professional grad-uate curriculum on Interaction Design, cultivating online community, partnering, lecturing, teaching (Foundations of Interaction Design and Sociology of Technology).
- 2006 – Assistant professor at undergrad Web Design course. Opet. Activities: teaching (Web Writing, Flash Animation)
- 2006-2009 – Invited professor at undergrad Design course. Unisul. Activities: teaching (Literary Expression and Analy-sis, Digital Design studio, Usability and Ergonomy).
- 2006-2008 – Master in Science, Technology and Society at Federal Technical University of Paraná. Thesis title: “From Interfaces to Interactions: Participatory Design of the BrOffice.org Portal” (portuguese). Granted student scholarship from Araucaria Foundation. Advisor: Luiz Ernesto Merkle.
- 2005-2008 – Independent consultant for many companies. Selected clients: Duty Free Dufry, Stobag (customized awnings), Magazine Luiza (major retailer), Tramontina (tableware industry), Celta (technological incubator), Mídia Digital (web design agency), Odysseia (board games). Activities: usability evaluation, information architecture, user research, strategic design.
- 2002-2004 – Web Designer for a small Advertising Agency. DC Dois Advertising. Activities: graphic interface design, simple animation (Flash), basic programming (PHP).
- 2001-2002 – Webmaster for a regional news website. Cone Sul Agency. Activities: information architecture, webwrit-ing guidelines, updating information, managing files.
- 2001-2005 – Bachelor in Social Communication (Media Studies) with emphasis in Journalism at Federal University of Paraná. Title of monograph: “User Centered Design of the UFPR website” (portuguese).
- 2011-present – Community manager for Corais (www.corais.org), an online platform for Open Design projects, featur-ing groupware tools, design knowledge base and method cards. Corais currently hosts 35 projects with a total of 371 members.
- 2010 – Usability Consultant for the Infinity I-Kitchen project at Electrolux Latin America, the first touchscreen con-trolled refrigerator of the company. The touchscreen panel offers a messages app, recipes and photo slideshow. The project demanded heuristic evaluation, usability testing and emotional affect evaluation.
- 2007-present – Co-founder of Faber-Ludens Institute for Interaction Design (www.faberludens.com), a non-profit organization that promotes the integration of Design and Technology in Brazil. Partnering with Fisam and UNC, local universities, Faber-Ludens launched a graduate course on Interaction Design that has now more than 70 students, coming from distances ranging between 100km to 2.000km. It was the first course in Brazil to bring electronics to the hands of designers, using technologies like Lego Robotics, Arduino microcontroller and Touchatag RFIDs.
- 2004-present – Editor of Usabilidoido (www.usabilidoido.com.br), a professional blog covering topics such as New Media, Social Technology, User Centered Design, Information Architecture, Semiotics. It has 700 articles published, 6.000 comments and 5.000 visitors/day average. It was selected as one of the top 10 blogs in Brazil by Ibest Company in 2005 and 2006.
- van AMSTEL. F.M.C; VASSÃO, C; FERRAZ, G. (2011) Design Livre: Cultural Cannibalism for Social innovation. 3rd Inter-national Forum Design as a Process, Latin Network for the Development of Design Process, Turin – Italy.
- van AMSTEL, F.M.C; SILVEIRA, G.S; HARTMANN, T. (2011) A Problem-Solving Game for Collective Creativity. Annual INSCOPE-Conference, Enschede – Netherlands.
- van AMSTEL, F.M.C; HARTMANN, T. (2011) Collaborative Planning for Healthcare Environments. Interdisciplinary Col-laborative Meeting: Computing for Spatial Design, Architecture, and Construction Informatics, Langwedel - Germany.
- van AMSTEL, F.M.C (ed). Almanaque 2010: Interaction Design Yearbook. Faber-Ludens Institute for Interaction Design.
- van AMSTEL, F. M. C. (2007) Power over Mediated Agency and its Ethical Implications for Interaction Design. Curitiba. Anais do 2o. Simpósio Nacional de Tecnologia e Sociedade.
(titles have been translated into English)
- van AMSTEL, F. M. C. . Towards a dialectical-materialistic methodology for interaction design. In: SPINILLO, C; BENDI-TO, P; PADOVANI, S. (Org.). 1 ed. Curitiba: SBDI | Brazilian Society of Information Design, 2009, v. 1, p. 124-134.
- van AMSTEL, F. M. C. . Communal Virtualities and Complicated Pleasures. In: Tiago Baeta; Nathália Torenzani. (Org.). 1 ed. Rio de Janeiro: Brasport, 2008, v. , p. 81-84.
Complete works in conference proceedings
- GONZATTO, R; van AMSTEL, F. M. C; COSTA, R. T. Games and Humor within Design Methodologies, 2010, Florianópolis. Anais do IX Simpósio Brasileiro de Jogos e Entretenimento Digital, 2010.
- van AMSTEL, F. M. C. . Web 2.0 mediations in a Free Software community, 2009, Curitiba. Anais do XXXII Congresso Brasileiro de Ciências da Comunicação, 2009.
- van AMSTEL, F. M. C. . Participation Politics in Interaction Design, 2009, Rio de Janeiro. Anais do 4º Congresso Internacional de Design da Informação, 2009.
- GONZATTO, R. F.; van AMSTEL, F. M. C. ; JUNGES, Edyd . Integrating and fragmenting data: a proposal for the evolu-tion of folksonomy, 2009, São Paulo. Anais do 3º EBAI Encontro Brasileiro de Arquitetura de Informação, 2009.
- van AMSTEL, F. M. C. . Participatory Information Architecture of BrOffice.org website, 2008, São Paulo. Anais do 2º EBAI - Encontro Brasileiro de Arquitetura de Informação, 2008.
- van AMSTEL, F. M. C. . Tasks and Rituals: towards unifying language and action in Interaction Design, 2007, Balneário Camboriú. Anais do 7º USIHC, 2007.
- van AMSTEL, F. M. C. . Formation Needs of the Technological Professional in Web Design, 2007, Curitiba. Anais do 3o Congresso Internacional de Design da Informação, 2007.
- van AMSTEL, F. M. C. . Folcsonomy: Uncontrolled Vocabulary, Information Anarchitecture or Samba of the Mad Black?, 2007, São Paulo. Anais do 1o Encontro Brasileiro de Arquitetura da Informação, 2007.
- Expanded Summary published in proceedings of conferences
- GONZATTO, Rodrigo Fresse, van AMSTEL, F. M. C. Imagined communities and folksonomic classifications as interculturality phenomena In: III Simpósio Nacional em Tecnologia e Sociedade, 2009, Curitiba.
- van AMSTEL, F. M. C. . Folksonomy and Cultural Identity, 2008, Porto Alegre. Anais do WAIHCWS, 2008.
- van AMSTEL, F. M. C. . Semiotic Profiling: a method for specifying Graphic Design Interfaces, 2005, Poços de Caldas. Anais do XI Simpósio Brasileiro de Sistemas Multimídia e Web, 2005.
Summaries in conference proceedings
- ZONATO, T; RIBEIRO, V; van AMSTEL, F. M. C; FILENO, Érico. The Simplicity Dilemma of Interaction Design. In: III Simpósio Nacional em Tecnologia e Sociedade, 2009, Curitiba.
- GONZATTO, Rodrigo Fresse ; van AMSTEL, F. M. C. . Social Video: Proposal for video interaction on the Web, 2009, Cu-ritiba. Anais do 9º Congresso Internacional de Ergonomia e Usabilidade de Interfaces Humano-Computador.
- van AMSTEL, F. M. C. . Participatory Design with a Free Software Community: the case for BrOffice.org website, 2008, Porto Alegre. Proceedings of the VIII Brazilian Symposium on Human Factors in Computing Systems, 2008. v. 378. p. 256-259.
- van AMSTEL, F. M. C. . Navigation Strategies on the Web: Preliminary Proposal for a Semiotic Approach to the Click Decision, 2005, Curitiba. Livro de Resumos, 2005. p. 336-336.
LITERARY ANALYSIS AND EXPRESSION
30 hours – Undergrad Course on Design - Unisul
WRITING FOR THE WEB
60 hours – Undergrad Course on Web Design – Opet
GRAPHIC ANIMATION FOR THE INTERNET
80 hours – Undergrad Course on Web Design - Opet
USABILITY AND ERGONOMICS OF USER INTERFACES
30 hours – Undergrad Course on Design – Unisul
30 hours – Undergrad Course on Design – Unisul
INTERACTION DESIGN FOUNDATIONS
40 hours – Graduate Course on Interaction Design - Faber-Ludens
SOCIOLOGY OF TECHNOLOGY
24 hours – Graduate Course on Interaction Design – Faber-Ludens.
30 hours – Graduate Course on Web Development - UEM.
ERGONOMICS AND USABILITY
24 hours – Graduate Course on Interior Design – Sustentare Business School
- Information Architecture and Wordpress, WPSummit, 2010
- Findability beyond Search Engine Optimization, SearchLabs 2010
- Usability and Persuasion in E-commerce, National E-commerce Forum, 2010
- What could be Interaction Design? EDTED - Design and Digital Technology Event, 2010.
- Design Fictions: a new literary genre? Design students academic week at UTP, Unibrasil and UTFPR, 2010.
- Service Design: why does anybody had thought about this before? Sustentare Business School, 2009
- Design: from Interfaces to Interaction. EDTED - Design and Digital Technology Event, 2009.
- Affective Design and Reification. Design students academic week at UTFPR, 2009.
- Network Effect on Interaction Design. Faber-Ludens Institute, 2009.
- Interaction Design and Tangible Interfaces. Design students academic week at UTP, 2008.
- Far Beyond the Fridge: Interaction Design and The Internet of Things. Intercon – Internet Professionals Summit, 2008.
- Interaction Design for everyday technologies. Minas Gerais Regional Design event, 2008
- Humanizing Technology through Interaction Design. Design students academic week at UDESC and UTFPR, 2008.
- Webdesigner 2.0: minimum requirements for the professional upgrade. Web Planet event from SENAC-SP, 2008.
- Developing Web 2.0 business that deliver great user experiences. Paraná Federation of Industries, 2008.
- The Interaction Design Differential. Ndesign - National event of Design students, 2008.
- The Relevance of Web 2.0 Collaboration. UEM, 2008.
- Interaction Design Trends. Faber-Ludens Institute, 2008.
- The value of research in Interaction Design. EWD - Web Design Summit, 2007.
- Ajax and Interaction Design: two faces of the same coin. Locaweb Summit, 2007.
- Interaction Design: a social perspective on Web Design. EWD - Web Design Summit, 2006.
- Webstandards for improving the User Experience. Internet Professionals Summit, 2006.
- Interaction Design: between people and systems. Design students academic week at Unopar, 2006.
- Interaction Design and Free Software: an alien vision. Informatics students academic week at UTFPR, 2006.
- Usability in Acessibility. Digital Inclusion Week at PUC-PR, 2006.
- What makes the iPod design so attractive? Podcon Conference, 2005.
- Webstandards. EWD - Web Design Summit, 2005.
- The vocation for Flash: RIA, Hotsites and Infographics. Flash User Group São Paulo, 2005.
- Organizing Websites with the parameters of Information Architecture. Communication students academic week, 2004.
- Usability as a crucial factor for Web projects. Ilearn, 2004.