See Study abroad Intro

Exchange procedure

If you want to go on an exchange semester at a partner university, there are certain guidelines & steps (Before, during & after Mobility) to be taken. Below you can find the overview of the steps that you will need to take to be able to study abroad. More details regarding each step can be found in the Study Abroad Manual.  




First decide when do you want to go abroad? Typically this is a full semester abroad. It is up to your own shedule when the time is right: 1st (Fall semester) or 2nd (Spring semester). Generally Bsc students go during their minor (30 ECTS) whilst Msc students use their electives (20-30 ECTS) in their second year.


You will have to think about where in the world you want to do part of your studies abroad? The list of options is large! Do you want to stay within the EU or look further a field, NON-EU partners? During the semester abroad you will be enrolled as an exchange student at the partner university and be excempt from their tuiton fees. You will have to be registered as a UT student.

For a few programmes we have more options of partner universities around the world via our international networks

You can also decide to go to a university which is not one of our partners, on a so called ‘free mover’ basis. In this case students will be required to pay tuition fees to the university of choice, on top of your tuition fee of the UT and also get specific approval from your programmes examination board to be able to study there. (for more details on free-mover options check the Study Abroad Manual)


When choosing your destinations and what you would like to do there, to do take into account:

  • Courses availability (does the partner univeristy have enough/in field of your requirements/interesting courses for you to follow?)
  • Budget (living costs, travel expenses, insurance)
  • Safety
  • Language of instruction 

If you need further help in the orientation process attending the EEMCS study abroad information session in October or the Let's Go fair in November can be of help. Or possibly reading the experience report of a EEMCS student who studied abroad at a destination of your choice may give you a better idea of what you can expect and confirm your choice.

You are also of course free to make an appointment with the Exchange coordinator



You need to be enrolled as a regular UT student and pay UT tuition fee, to be exempt from the partner tuition fees.

Bachelor students :

  • Studying abroad during your minor, you will have to meet your programme's minor requirements as specified in the TER/OER.
  • Your course selection needs to be appproved by your examination board or bachelor coordinator.
  • Most programmes require you to have 90 ECTS registered prior to departure. (for details check your programme TER).

Master students:

  • Msc students need to check with their track coordinator/mentor which specific requirements their are to follow.
  • Your course selection needs to be appproved by your examination board.


It is important to carefully select the courses at the partner institution. Take note of the following criteria:

  • Academic calendar. 
  • Language of instruction.
  • Sufficient options of suitable courses  (>30 ECTS for BSc & >20 ECTS for MSc students). It is your own responsibility to find, select & have your courses approved. 
  • Courses selected have no overlap with the courses from your UT study programme.
  • Maximum number of EC's your programme allows for language and cultural courses. 
  • Other requirements like CGPA, knowledge/course pre-requisite requirements and/or language level requirements at partner university. 

For more information see the Study Abroad Manual. If you have any questions regarding the selection of courses, please contact your BSc coordinator or Msc track coordinator.



  • You need to register your application in Mobility online.
    The dealine to submit your application for the Fall semester: 1st of February
    The dealine to submit your application for the Spring semester: 1th of September
  • You can register a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 6 partner universities. If you have <3 choices, please just select something and indicate in the "remarks" area what is not applicable.
  • Only select partner universities you really want to go to & where you meet all the requirements. (CGPA)
  • To finalise your application send an email to the exchange coordinator with your proposal of choices, your name, date of birth,  preliminary course list with hyperlinks for each university and your CGPA (where applicable).
  • After you have registered your application in Mobility online, you can login and see the status of your application. Continue checking Mobility online to know what next steps to take.

UT Selection 

After the registration deadline, a random selection procedure for the limited available spots at the partner universities will take place.

  • For the UT wide Non -EU partners this is done at central level. Each faculty may only put your name forward to 1 NON-EU destination.
  •  For the faculty specific partners (mainly EU partners) a random selection is done at faculty level, when needed. Please see the Study Abroad Manual for the details of the selection procedure.

The results of the selection process will be processed in Mobility online. You will receive an automated email with your secured spot from Mobility online.


Once you have confirmed your secured spot (within 5 days), your exchange coordinator will nominate you to the partner univeristy, as soon as this is possible. This is a formality whereby the UT confirms you have been selected to go to the partner university.

The nomination is NOT your application at the partner university. You will still have to go through an application process of the partner university. 


Application at Partner

  • After being nominated to the partner university you can start the application process to the partner university. Check their website about the details regarding the application procedure (steps, deadlines,required documents ...) or in the infosheet or confirmation of nomination email from the partner university.
  • In parallel to your application at the partner university start the approval process of your courses by your UT programme. Start this process early on as it can take some time to get the approval. When in doubt which forms or process to follow for the course approval you can ask the exchange coordinator.
  • Continue with the steps in mobility online.
  • Register yourself for the canvas site called: "Exchange Community". The aim is to connect UT's incoming exchange students with you, the outgoing exchange students, so that you can help each other out. You can also get help and tips from other outgoing students going to the same country or incoming students, while you can also help our incoming exchange students with information or practical tips. Or simply get to know each other in a social sense!

Practical matters

There are a lot of small but important activities/steps and practical matters that you will have to take/arrange to best prepare for your study abroad. 

Language Proficiency

In case you need a statement of language proficiency, the UT Language centre can support you. For more info also look here. If a language proficieny statement of the UT is sufficient please contact your exchange coordinator


It is essential that you have enough financial resources to pay for your travels and stay abroad. You can get more information about the costs of living per destination or how your destination compares with here by clicking on the links.

Also check with your bank beforehand if your debit card (‘bankpas') will be sufficient. Sometimes a credit card will be required. 


The University of Twente offers some scholarships for study abroad. Within the EU there is the Erasmus+ scholarship and for the NON-EU destinations there is the Twente Mobility fund or Holland Scholarship.

In Mobility online you will automatically enter the application procedure for these scholarships (last step of 'before the mobility'), after your study abroad has been approved by your exchange coordinator.

For other alternative options to finance your study abroad have a look at Beursopener & Research Professional.


In most cases the partner univeristy can assist you in finding housing. Please make sure to look for housing on time and also do not forget to organise something for your room here in the Netherlands. Maybe you can help an incoming student with your room?

Health & Safety 

Check beforehand whether you need vaccinations or other medical preparations for your stay abroad. Contact your family doctor or the GGD (the Dutch health service with centers across the Netherlands) for information. Moreover, if needed, make sure that you take sufficient medications with you to cover your stay abroad.

When choosing a destination, keep the official travel advice in mind. Be aware of safety risks in other countries. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs publishes an overview of all recent official travel recommendations. The UT does not allow you to travel to a destination with a ‘negative’ travel advice.

Also make sure to be prepared for emergencies. Very useful it to download the BZ Reisapp and register with Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 


You will need to arrange your own health insurance whilst abroad. Check with your current insurance if it possible to extend it to include European/worldwide coverage (depening on your destination). 

For some destinations you will be required to (also) take on the insurance of the partner University. 

In addition the UT has entered into a travel and liability insureance for all its students and employees. This insurance is free. You will automatically receive this insurance once your study abroad has been approved by your exchange coordinator in the last part of the 'Before the mobility' of Mobility online. You will receive an automated email indicating you have been registered. Please note: the UT travel insurance is only valid for the duration of your study-related mobility.

More information about the insurance, coverage and general conditions can also be found on the FEZ-website

Visa & Passport

Depending on your destination, you may need to arrange a visa. This is your own responsibility. Explore how to apply for a visa and which documents are needed and which institutions you need to contact (e.g. the embassy or consulate of the country of your destination). Apply for a visa on time!

In addition, make sure that your travel document (ID-card or passport) is valid for at least six months after your planned arrival back to the Netherlands.

OV ( public transport) card

You will not be using your public transport card (OV) whilst studying abroad. You can choose to convert your OV card into a financial compensation. For more information and how to apply check the DUO website.  You can contact your exchange coordinator to have the required forms signed.

Other useful links

A useful link of information offices which provide information on studying in specific countries look here

Also look at practical matters page of the UT on all the practical things not to forget before your departure.

During Mobility 



Once you have arrived at your new home and partner University and have enjoyed your orientation/introduction week, your exchange coordinator would be happy to hear you arrived safely and started your time abroad.

In Mobility online continue with the steps of 'during mobility'. Make sure not to forget to fill out your new address. You do not need to request the partner university to sign a arrival (or departure) form. 



If there are any changes during your mobility please inform your exchange coordinator about them.

Any changes to your courses, you will have to get approval from your programme - whether the Bachelor Coordinator or examination board. Follow the same procedural steps as you did in your initial course approval, and make the necessary changes in Mobility online. Do this as soon as possible. 

For any other changes or challenges you may be experiencing please do not hesitate to contact your exchange coordinator who will help you as far as possible. At the partner university you can also always contact the international/exchange office for assistance.


Departure from Partner University

At the end of your study abroad at the Partner University make sure you know when and how you will receive your Transcript of records which will show the courses you followed and the credits obtained.

Also for all NON-EU partner destinations and those of you who received the TMF scholarship  make sure to have a Letter of Appointment filled and signed by the international office of the partner University. You will be able to download this letter in the last step of 'During mobility'.

After Mobility



After a wonderful experience studying abroad it is time to come back to the reality of living and studying in Enschede, including finalising your mobility. 
Naturally, your exchange coordinator would love to hear from you. Not just to know you safely returned to Enschede, but also to hear about your experiences during your time abroad. How do you feel about the time abroad, how would do you rate your experience? How was the quality of the courses, the university, the social life and/or what were your impressions of the country and its culture? All this information helps to better inform future students, improve this website and all the procedures involved in studying abroad. 


Credit transfer & final payment scholarship

Of course you would like to have the credits of the courses you passed during your studies abroad be credited towards your studies and to receive the final payment of your scholarship ( where applicable). In order for this to happen you will need to continue with the steps in Mobility online: 'After mobility'.

Only your credits will be transfered and not your grades. You will have to send your final transcript of records to your BOZ (Student administrative office) contact person.


Everyone experiences his/her study abroad to the same destination in a different way. Students have taken different courses, participated in all kinds of social/cultural activities and faced varied challenges and so their tips & tricks for a destination are not always the same. Of course there are also many similarities experienced for each destination!

At EEMCS we require each student to write a short report on how they experienced their study abroad at their destination. This experience report is shared on the canvas course study abroad EEMCS and are meant for future students to get a better insight into the destination and better be prepared using the tips & tricks. The information from the reports is as important for the mobility office of EEMCS to better their work and better serve its future study abroad students.

In order to finalise all steps of the exchange you will need to plan a final evaluation meeting with the exchange coordinator to discuss your study abroad in an informal manner.


Every year at the faculty of EEMCS we organize a session to inform all 2nd year Bachelor and 1st year Master students on the options of a study abroad period and providing practical information. As personal experiences are the best source of information, we continuously look for students willing to be part of the information session, to share their steps taken to go abroad, the frustrations, fun and experiences gained with the other students. Please feel free to contact your exchange coordinator if you are interested to help out in this way.


After spending time abroad, you probably have realized how much you have had to depend on other people, and how much fun it was to befriend local students. At the faculty of EEMCS we have a large number of international students that are here for an exchange period, or even a full degree. We encourage you to interact with them.