The Power Electronics and Electromagnetic Compatibility Group within the department Electrical Engineering has a vacancy for a Ph.D. researcher to work in the EU Horizon 2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Project ETERNITY - European Training Network on Electromagnetic Risks in Medical Technology.
ETERNITY will create a long-lasting multidisciplinary, academic-industrial network for doctoral training, with leading European industries and academia. We want to achieve a breakthrough in the design of innovative medical equipment where the risk of EMI has been managed at its core: with wearables, with on-board platforms and with collaborative care systems for hospitals.
Our consortium (based in Belgium, Portugal, Spain and The Netherlands) brings together expertise in four areas: Electromagnetic Compatibility, Medical Engineering, System engineering and Risk Management.
We are looking for an Early Stage Researcher (ESR) with an interest to start their career in the highly innovative field of electronic designs for medical technology.
Both renumeration and training opportunities are very attractive.
ESR4: Risk-Based EMI-Aware Design of Complex Systems
Required profile: Electromagnetic Compatibility, Electromagnetic Fields
Desirable skills/interests: Electromagnetic Compatibility, Electromagnetism, Systems Engineering, Risk Management
Objectives: This ESR develops an EMI-aware design process starting from the risk and hazard analyses of the medical system-under-development in its operational electromagnetic environment. The system and environment are divided into tangible items at lower subsystem levels (i.e., use of zoning), which are transferred to the design process by means of an EMI risk-management plan (EMI-RMP). Based upon the EMI-RMP, the most effective EMC measures will be chosen and implemented. The EMI-RMP borrows state-of-the-art configuration management from system engineering to establish and maintain the system’s performance throughout its full life-cycle, including future upgrades or modifications. Finally, the EMI-RMP will be used as the input for an EMI-aware verification and validation process. The EMI-RMP will be logged and reviewed and if needed checked by an independent authority.
We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic and curiosity-driven researcher;
- You have, or are about to get, a master’s degree in electromagnetic compatibility, telecommunications, power electronics, electromagnetics or a related field;
- You have a background in physical electronics, analytical mathematics and simulation;
- You are an excellent teammate in an enthusiastic and hardworking group of scientists and engineers working on a joint assignment;
- You are creative, like to push boundaries, and are highly motivated to address major science challenges in EMC;
- You are proficient in English and able to collaborate intensively with industrial and academic parties in regular meetings and work visits.
INFORMATION AND APPLICATION
Are you interested after reading this vacancy? Please apply with an application/motivation letter, a detailed CV (Europass), a publication list, contact details of referees, and an academic transcript of B.Sc. and M.Sc. education. The selection procedure includes an interview and scientific presentation.
For more information about the position, send an email to
As a PhD researcher at the University of Twente, you will be appointed on a fulltime position for four years, with a qualifier in the first year, within a very stimulating scientific environment;
- The university offers a dynamic ecosystem with enthusiastic colleagues;
- Salary and conditions are in accordance with the collective labour agreement for Dutch universities (CAO-NU);
- You will receive a salary ranging from around €2.395,- gross per month at the start to around €3.061,- in the fourth year;
- Excellent benefits including a holiday allowance of 8% of the gross annual salary, a year-end bonus of 8.3% and a solid pension scheme;
- A training program in which you and your supervisor will make up a plan for additional suitable education and supervision;
- We encourage a high degree of responsibility and independence, while collaborating with close colleagues, researchers and other university staff.
- 1 Sept 2020: Launch of the positions
- 30 Nov 2020: Deadline for on-line application
- 2 March 2021: ETERNITY Recruitment Event
- 1 Sept 2021: Targeted starting date for ESR contracts
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology which leads change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university of the Netherlands; divided over five faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. We have a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status. Because of our diversity values we do particularly support women to apply.
The faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) comprises three disciplines: Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science, that shape the future of our society. In almost every product we use mathematics, electronics and computer technology, contributing to all of societies' activities. The faculty works together intensively with industrial partners and researchers in the Netherlands and abroad and conducts extensive research for external commissioning parties and funders.
During the official starting date of Project EASIER, the hosting country (NL) might still be under the influence of mobility restrictions. Therefore a suitable solution will be discussed and found to accommodate the candidate and not cause any delays.