The UT is currently participating in the national tender of SURF for selecting a new plagiarism detection application. The reason for finding a replacement for Ephorus (our current plagiarism detection application) is that our current plagiarism application Ephorus can’t be integrated into Canvas.
However, the outcome of the tender will only be known at the earliest in January 2019, so it was necessary to find a (temporary) solution for using plagiarism detection in Canvas. Therefore Urkund has been selected as Canvas-integrated plagiarism detection. The UT documents from the Ephorus database have been imported into the Urkund database. More information about using Urkund in Canvas can be found in the manual on the Canvas Instructor help page.
It is important to be aware of the fact that Urkund lacks two options that were available in Ephorus:
- Urkund does not search in scientific journals.
- It’s not possible to upload documents with status ‘confidential/private’, meaning that a document will be checked for plagiarism but not used as reference material for plagiarism detection of other documents.
When the result of the national tender is final, UT will decide if a new plagiarism detection application will be chosen. Regardless of the outcome, Urkund plagiarism detection in Canvas will be used until the end of academic year 2018-2019.
Using plagiarism detection outside of Canvas
If you have a personal account for using Ephorus plagiarism detection on the Ephorus website, you can keep using Ephorus until 31-12-2018. Before the end of the year, the steering committee “IT-onderwijsprojecten” will decide if the Ephorus contract will be extended until the date that a possible replacement for Urkund will be available. If the contract is not going to be extended, you can get an account to use the Urkund stand alone plagiarism detection.
If you don’t have an Ephorus account and want to use plagiarism detection outside of Canvas, you can choose between Ephorus and Urkund. The main differences are:
- Urkund does not search in scientific journals
- In Urkund it’s not possible to upload documents with status ‘confidential/private’, meaning that a document is checked for plagiarism but not used as reference material for plagiarism detection of other documents
- In Urkund you can’t upload a zip-file
- If you use Ephorus, plagiarism detection will not include searching in documents that have been submitted through Canvas to the Urkund database
- There’s no guarantee that Ephorus can be used after 31-12-2018 until the date that a possible replacement for Urkund will be available (a decision about that has to be made yet).
- There’s no guarantee that documents uploaded to Ephorus after July 2018 will be imported into the Urkund database or the database of a new application after the end of the Ephorus contract (a decision about that has to be made yet).
If you want to get a personal account to use either Ephorus or Urkund outside of Canvas*, please contact:
- Ellen Peters (email@example.com) (UT-employees excluding ITC)
- Marga Koelen (firstname.lastname@example.org) (ITC-employees).
*Please note that this service is only available for employees that supervise students. UT Policy does not allow Phd’s to get an account to use plagiairism detection to check their own work.