What is Blackboard?
Blackboard is the Digital Learning Environment with which the University of Twente supports its education. Blackboard is available for all courses. Blackboard offers possibilities for
• offering important study materials;
• handing in assignments (including plagiarism detection)
• communication and cooperation (synchronous and asynchronous);
• instruction and guidance of students;
• diagnostic testing.
I have forgotten my password, what do I do?
You can reset the password yourself in the password reset application, provided that you have registered a private mail address (meaning: a non-UT mail address) in your account details before.* This application will send a message with a code to your private e-mail address (after all, your UT mailbox is not accessible). The password reset application is available on the same webpage where you can also change your password: https://tap.utwente.nl.
The alternative is to visit the Servicedesk ICT. Do not forget to bring your student or employee card.
* Employees can register a private mail address in the Webapplications – My Personal details – change of address. For students the private mail address which is registered in Studielink will be used.
How can I change my password?
Read the instructions on the LISA website.
Whenever I log in on Blackboard, I receive an error message and access is denied. What do I do?
When you receive the following error message: “Could not login. Valid authentication credentials were not provided”, the following can be wrong:
• The combination of your username and password is wrong;
• Your Caps Lock function is on (the password is case-sensitive).
• You don't have a Blackboard account yet (if you have access to other applications, you should also get access to Blackboard. If that doesn't happen, something has gone wrong with the creation of the Blackboard account).
• When you continue having problems logging in, you can contact the Servicedesk ICT.
My name shown in Blackboard is wrong/only my initials are shown instead of my first name. How can I change this?
For students: you can change your first name yourself in the application Studielink. Go to Studielink , <My Studielink> page and then <My details'. Select 'change your personal details' and change the field 'first name (as you are called by family/friends)'. The change will be automatically applied to your first name in Blackboard (possibly no sooner visible than the next day).
For employees: your personal details used in Blackboard are retrieved from the HR administration. If your name in Blackboard is wrong, the name is probably not registered correctly in the HR administration. You can request the HR employee in your faculty to change this.
In the “first name” field in Blackboard, either your initials or your first name is shown. If your initials are shown, but you want your first name to be shown in Blackboard, you can request the Servicedesk ICT to arrange that (Please note: this has to be changed in the account management system and not in Blackboard. The next day your first name will be shown in Blackboard).
For external users of an x-account: ask your Blackboard support employee to change your name.
Can I change the e-mail address used in Blackboard?
Yes. Go to the My Blackboard tab and in the Tools menu on the left, click on “Personal information”. Using Edit Personal Information, the mail address used for Blackboard can be changed.
Note: this only changes the mail address used in Blackboard, so the address used in other web applications will not be changed.
How long after deregistration at the UT can I use Blackboard?
Until three months after the end of deregistration / employment at the UT.
I am not enrolled as a student/employee at the UT, but I do take/teach courses here. How can I get access to Blackboard?
You can get a guest account for Blackboard usage. You have to contact the Blackboard support employee of the faculty at which you take or teach courses (This can be found in the Contact section of this website). This person can request a guest account.
With which browsers can Blackboard be used?
• Chrome 36+.
• Firefox 20+
• Edge 20+.
• Internet Explorer 11* (Windows only)
• Safari 6+ (MacOS only).
* Please note: our advise is not to use Internet explorer, because this browser has the most issues in Blackboard.
Which browser settings are needed to be able to use Blackboard properly?
• Cookies have to be accepted.
It is also recommended to do the following:
• Add http://blackboard.utwente.nl to your trusted sites;
• Make sure web pages are refreshed automatically upon each next visit (to make sure all changes are shown).
Does Blackboard have an app?
Yes, the app for students is called ‘Bb Student’ and is available on iOS, Android and Windows. More information can be found here.
Instructors can use the app ‘Blackboard Mobile’ (available on iOS en Android).
In addition to this, the app Bb Grader for instructors is intended for viewing and grading assignments. This app is only available on iPad Air, iPad mini, and iPad 2, 3, or 4 (iOS 7 or higher).
Where can I find information about recent changes in Blackboard?
You can find an overview in the section 'Manuals and documentation' on this website.
Where can I report when Blackboard cannot be reached?
At the Servicedesk ICT: telephone number 5577 or email@example.com.