Smart Cities is a rapidly growing concept in both research and policy practice. It is viewed as a solution for cities to better cope with key societal challenges like energy transition, mobility and social innovation through extensive and effective use of big data and IT.
This, in turn, calls for new modes of – smart – governance, with the active involvement of a wide diversity of public, private and citizens’ organizations. In this Summer course, Smart Cities is being studied through three themes. First, we focus on Resources and Infrastructure (water, energy and mobility). Second, we focus the Digital City (Big and open data, geo informatics). And third, we analyze Social Innovation (new modes of governance and behavioral change).
- Learn all about many aspects of Smart Cities, ranging from governing a smart city to maintaining the infrastructure in a smart city
- Applying your knowledge from both technical and governance aspects to smart city development in group exercises
- Work in multidisciplinary teams
- Learn how you can contribute to smart city developmentsin your own enviroment
- Methods: Lectures, interactive workshops
- Course level: Advanced BSC., MSc.
- Target group: Students in their third Bachelor’s year, -entry level Master’s students and professionals with an interest in smart cities.
- Course leader: Dr Maya van den Berg
- Credits: 2 ECTS for successfully completing the summer school