Visa & residence permit: overview

By Dutch law students cannot apply for a visa themselves. All applications and extensions for (entry) visas, residence permits and Change of Purpose are coordinated by the University of Twente. The Visa Office coordinates the on-campus Bachelor, Master and Exchange students. Are you an ITC or PhD student? Please see below.

If you require an entry visa and/or a (new) residence permit, you will be contacted by email guiding you through every step of the process. Please have a look at the various pages to find out more about the different steps involved and the corresponding deadlines.

Please note: every non-EEA student needs to go through the process, including students who already have a residence permit, as we need to verify this.  

Additional information on topics such as study progress, visa extensions, EEA residence permits and more can be found here.

ITC students and Phd students

Students from the off-campus faculty ITC, will be assisted by the ITC faculty, whereas PhD students will be assisted by our Office Foreign Employees. Please refer to their respective websites for more information.

Obligation of Identification

As a resident of the Netherlands, you must be able to identify yourself to authorities at all times. Hence, we strongly encourage you to always carry your passport, ID card and/or residence permit with you.