The measures designed to curb the spread of the coronavirus are still in effect. The only way to get the virus under control is when everyone follows these basic rules: work from home, maintain a safe distance of 1.5 metres from others, avoid crowded areas, wear a face mask and wash your hands often. Read more about the government's measures here:

We are happy to give you more information about what to do if you have corona-related symptoms. You can also find information about testing and vaccination here. Are you worried about the coronavirus or do you feel down? Are you struggling to find the (right) balance between your work/studies and your private life? As a university, we are there for you during these unprecedented times to help you stay healthy.



To prevent symptoms, it is important to follow these basic rules, which continue to be in effect for everyone:

  • Wash your hands frequently (in Dutch): use water and soap to wash your hands for twenty seconds and dry them well afterwards. Do this every time you go outside and when you come home again.
  • Cough and sneeze into the crook of your elbow. Use paper tissues to blow your nose and then throw them away. Wash your hands afterwards.
  • Do not shake hands.
  • Maintain a safe distance of 1.5 metres (two arm lengths) from other people.
  • Wear a face mask in the UT's buildings and in all other indoor public areas.

The rules of social distancing apply to everyone: in the streets, in stores or other indoor spaces and at work. Members of the same household are not required to maintain a distance of 1.5 metres from each other.

What to do if you have symptoms

If you have mild symptoms, such as a nasal cold, a runny nose, sneezing, a sore throat, coughing or elevated temperature up to 38 degrees Celsius and/or if you suddenly lose your sense of smell or taste, you must stay at home and get tested. To schedule an appointment for a corona test, call this number: 0800-1202. Have your social security number (SSN) ready. You can also schedule an appointment online via You use this same website to view your test results.

Everyone suffering from corona-related symptoms can get tested. It is important to do so in order for the restrictions to eventually be lifted. 

While you await the results of your test, you must not go to the grocery store or receive any visitors. Ask someone else to get your groceries for you or have them delivered to your door and find someone to walk your dog.

  • If the test results show that you do not currently have the coronavirus, you can resume your activities and go outside once more.
  • If the test results show that you do have the coronavirus, you must stay at home until you have been completely free of symptoms for twenty-four hours. Call your general practitioner if your symptoms do not go away or if you develop new symptoms. 
  • If your test is positive, your housemates must also stay at home - even if they have no symptoms themselves. Even people with a vital profession must stay at home. More information about the rules of self-quarantine can be found on the website of the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM).

Students: If you are ill or in quarantine and therefore unable to take part in your online lectures and/or exams and/or on-campus educational activities or if you need help because you are in quarantine, contact your student adviser.

Staff: if your symptoms prevent you from working (from home), follow the standard procedure for calling in sick.

Positive test

We view your positive test as personal medical information, which is subject to the privacy regulations (GDPR). You are therefore not required to inform us if you have tested positive for COVID-19. However, as a university we would like to be informed as this will help us choose the right approach to prevent the further spread of the virus at the UT. If you are willing to help us to do so, you can inform your supervisor or programme director about your positive test.  

COVID-19 vaccination

All persons living in the Netherlands and registered in their municipality are eligible for a COVID-19 vaccination. At this time, only adults aged eighteen and over are being vaccinated. If you are registered in your municipality, you will receive an invitation from the RIVM. If you are part of a high-risk group and your general practitioner is aware of your medical situation, you may receive an invitation from your GP instead.

  • You should therefore make sure you are registered in your municipality and that your GP is aware of any pre-existing medical conditions you have that may place you in a high-risk group.
  • The university plays no role in this process. For more information and the latest updates, go to the website of the RIVM (in Dutch) or visit the website of the Dutch national government.
  • Staff and students living in Germany should follow German vaccination policy.

More information

For more information about COVID-19 and the vaccine, visit the website of the Dutch national government.

Medical questions

Do you have any medical questions or questions about symptoms related to the coronavirus, you can call the national information number at 0800-1351 (available every day from 8:00-22:00).

  • If you live in Enschede and do not have a general practitioner but would nonetheless like to talk to a physician, contact Stichting Dagwaarneming Enschede by calling 0900-4313333; 
  • If you live outside Enschede and do not have a general practitioner, contact your nearest GP via email or telephone. In all cases, it is advisable to make sure you are registered at a general practice.

UT students who currently do not have their own GP are advised to register with the UT Campus General Practitioners Office. ITC students are advised to register with Healthcare Centre Veldpoort.


It is perfectly natural to be worried about the coronavirus. However, if you find yourself feeling excessively worried or tense about your current situation, it is advisable to do something about this. Student Affairs Coaching & Counselling (SACC ) has created an  FAQ  for student that contains tips and advice about mental health and dealing with COVID-19. Many associations have already set up a digital platform and/or organised activities. Take a look at their website/social media channels. You can find an overview of all associations here. The UT also gives students the opportunity to make free use of its online learning platform GoodHabitz. Go to and log in with your UT student account.

The HR department has created an information page for staff that contains various initiatives designed to improve your personal wellbeing, including online workouts, GoodHabitz and other online training sessions and webinars, as well as information on where to go if you need more support.

Students FAQ 

  • If I go into quarantine, do my housemates have to self-quarantine as well?

    While you await the results of a corona test, your housemates must also remain in quarantine. If you go into self-quarantine after returning from a trip, your housemates are not required to go into quarantine unless you develop symptoms (fever, shortness of breath). If that happens, the universal basic rules will apply. You can find more information about this topic via the Student Union page.

  • How can I get groceries while in self-quarantine?

    Your (future) housemates and other students can help you get what you need while you are in self-quarantine. The Student Union has included grocery shopping as part of their buddy system. However, if you truly have no one to help you and you do not have any symptoms, you may break quarantine to go to the grocery store. (see

  • What happens when I have to go to a Dutch hospital?

    Dutch health insurance providers cover all corona-related treatments. Make sure to have your insurance card/information ready. Students with AON insurance are covered for all corona-related treatments. Go to the AON website for more information. 

    In case of an emergency, always contact AON Assistance via +31(0)10 44 88 260 (available 24/7) or go to this website. You will always receive the help you need in the event of an emergency or a public health hazard.

  • What can I do when I face discrimination related to COVID-19?

    Unfortunately, discrimination occurs in virtually any group, regardless of the challenges that COVID-19 poses. During a pandemic, some people will seek out victims whom they can blame for the current situation or to whom they can simply direct their frustration. Such behaviour is completely unjustifiable and should be openly discussed within the group in order to put a halt to it as quickly as possible. Sometimes, individuals or groups may not fully realise that they are discriminating against others with their behaviour. In those cases, it is even more important to raise their awareness. If a group or individual cannot deal with the discrimination by itself, it is advisable to seek outside assistance. 

    Ask for advice and support if you or someone you know needs help. You can always contact your student adviser. If you would rather talk to someone outside your programme, you can contact the confidential adviser of SACC (Student Affairs, Coaching & Counselling). 

    You can find an overview of student advisers and the SACC's contact information on the CES's website.

  • What can I do if I have financial difficulties as a result of COVID-19?

    We can imagine that losing your job, the sudden loss of financial support from your parents or a delayed graduation can have major financial consequences. However, there are more possibilities to fall back on than you might think. If you need more information or if your situation is not included in the overview, be sure to contact your student adviser or a student counsellor

  • Can I increase the study grant I receive from DUO?

    Although you may be hesitant to incur more student debt, DUO offers various possibilities to (temporarily or sometimes retroactively) change the amount of study grant you receive. You can find an overview of the possibilities on DUO's website. This option is available to all students under the age of thirty from an EEA member state or from Switzerland.

  • What kind of volunteer work can I do during the current crisis?

    There are various types of volunteer work you can do at the UT, in Enschede or elsewhere. There is a wide range of possibilities for activism at the UT. Think of e.g. humanitarian or social activities, environmental activism or caring for animals or facilities. Volunteering can help you reduce and overcome feelings of boredom, stress or alienation. 

    Take a look at the website of the Student Union for examples of activities at the UT and opportunities for volunteer work in and around Enschede.

  • Where can I go if I have questions?

    If you have any questions or concerns that you wish to talk about, you can contact Student Services by calling 053-4892124 or via Due to the current lockdown measures, Student Services’ physical desk has reduced opening hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Visiting the desk is possible by appointment only. For more information, take a look at the website of Student Services.

    Contact your student adviser if you have study-related questions or if you face serious financial troubles. ITC MSc students can contact Student Affairs via for all their questions.

Staff FAQ

  • I suffer from psychological problems. What if the current situation exacerbates my problems?

    In general, people with psychological problems are advised to retain their normal everyday structure as much as possible. Over the coming weeks and months, many aspects of your daily life may become temporarily unavailable. You should therefore strive to go to and get out of bed at the same time every day, eat breakfast/lunch/dinner around the same time and take breaks at your usual times. Furthermore, you can keep in touch (online) with other people and ask yourself whether you wish to discuss your concerns with people close to you. It is also important to maintain your physical health: get enough sleep, eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly. Take a look at for more initiatives and contact information that can help you.

  • Do my pre-existing health issues - such as COPD, diabetes, etcetera - put me at greater risk?

    Contact your general practitioner if you have any medical questions. Generally speaking, everyone runs the same risk of becoming infected with the coronavirus. However, the resulting illness may be more severe if you have one of the following health issues:

    • Chronic respiratory or lung problems (e.g. COPD)
    • Chronic heart problems
    • Diabetes
    • Severe kidney problems
    • Reduced resistance as a result of medication (e.g. cytostatics) or conditions.

    If you have any of these conditions, the government advises you to avoid contact with other people as much as possible, not use public transport, follow the general hygiene guidelines and stay away from sick people. If you have one of these underlying health problems, contact your company physician via the Arbo Unie (088 272 68 00).