EndNote is a software tool for managing your personal library. You can save full-text articles in your own database and use those to build reference lists in works you are writing. References can be imported via the import citation options many research databases offer. Full-texts can be saved instantly. The large output style library allows you to use EndNote for in-article citations and for almost all publishing styles and requested formats in the reference list. The University of Twente has a license for EndNote that also allows for it to be installed at home. It is possible to synchronize your EndNote library over different computers.
- Getting started with EndNote
The latest version of EndNote can be downloaded via Notebook Service Centre. Employees can also send a request to the Service Desk ICT to have EndNote installed on the work place computer. After the installation you will receives updates if there are changes to the program.
EndNote web is your online EndNote library. It allows you to synchronize your library across Desktop, tablet and online. For a licensed user there is unlimited storage space for pdf’s and your library. Extended options for private group work are also available. These are your options:
- You can include anyone who’s using EndNote X9 (up to 100 people, plus yourself)
- Share EndNote folders, including references, PDFs, and annotations
- Everyone can add to, annotate and use the library – at the same time
- There’s no charge for sharing, no library size limit and no charge for unlimited cloud storage
Your EndNote Web account login is the same as your Web Of Science personal account, or your login for Publons and vice versa. If you have neither you can also make an account using your @utwente.nl email address. Go to MyEndNoteWeb.
EndNote Reference Export To BibTex
This can be done by using the 'Reference Style' 'Bibtex Export':
- Choose 'Select Another Style’ in the pull-down menu with reference styles and then choose 'Bibtex Export'
- You now get a Bibtex entry in the preview window (Style Info/Preview).
Now choose Export in the File menu and save the file as: /filenaam/.bib
You now have a bib file. Unfortunately, this export is not error free. You will have to assign a label, by hand, to each entry before you can use it in a LaTeX document. You will also need to check the entries capital letters, the punctuation and the reference type.
- EndNote manuals and instructional videos
Below you find several instructional videos for EndNote. Some of these are only available for the X8 version. The differences with the new X9 version are however small, so these videos still provide valuable information. On the EndNote website you can also find manuals for the X9 version to complement the videos.
YouTube videos for EndNote
- EndNote X8 on Windows ( 60 minutes)
- EndNote X9 on Windows: The Short Course (23 minutes)
- EndNote X8 on Mac: The Short Course (24 minutes)
- What's New in EndNote X9?
- Using EndNote X9 in 6 Minutes (Windows)
- Using EndNote X9 in 6 Minutes (Mac)
- Library Sharing
- EndNote Training
The University Library offers EndNote training as part of the optional courses of the PhD bootcamp, and tailor made courses can be arranged upon request.
Staff and students
At the end of the workshops you can:
- Set up and maintain your own literature library in EndNote
- Work with the EndNote plugin for MS word to format your citations and reference lists
- Adapt your EndNote library setup to your own needs
- Manage your EndNote Library
- Share EndNote folders with co-authors
- Creating an EndNote Library
- Building your EndNote Library by importing references from literature databases
- Importing PDF-files into your library
- Cite while you write, citations and references in Word
- Searching and annotating PDFs
- Create and use groups, filters and folders
- Use subject bibliographies and summaries
- Changing the preferences of the EndNote program
- Finding, using and editing existing output styles
- Using MyEndnoteWeb.com
- Sharing your documents and library folders
If you have a group of students or staff who want to get to know Endnote, please send an e-mail to Grietha de Jonge. We will arrange a tailor-made workshop.