To qualify for this scholarship, applicants must fulfill the following requirements:
- Europeans should have permanent citizenship in the country;
- Applicants should have obtained at least a Master's degree within the last ten years of applying to the Canon Foundation;
- priority is given to applicants going to Europe and Japan for the first time;
- Have a Japanese nationality or permanent resident of Japan;
- Hold a doctorate or at least a Master’s degree;
- Have successfully completed a PhD or Master’s degree no longer than ten years ago.